GAME: name that bird!

Jochen

@@janzin

interesting subject!

It looks to me like they are Crows.

They do not look like any African Crows I know of so I started to look for Crows from the Americas.

There are two species that I think it could be, Tamaulipas crow (Corvus imparatus) and Sinaloa crow (Corvus sinaloae).

As they are very similar I can only guess.

Sinaloa crow?

OMG you guys are unreal!! That took one guess and one hour!

Yes @@mvecht they are Sinaloa Crow. Its almost impossible to tell them apart by sight, but the habitat would be a bit of a give-away in this case; the Tamaulipas crow is in more of an open-woodland and farmland bird, whereas the Sinaloa Crow likes palm trees and is endemic to the western coast of Mexico. Although really, it is entirely possible that the Tamaulipas Crow could find a palm tree to roost on :)

This photo was taken in Singayta, San Blas, Mexico. Here's an individual:

sicr_8202a.jpg

I swear, I give up. I can't stump any of you. :o

This game is good fun but I am starting to run out of birds that are hard to identify.

Lets try with a portrait.

post-5254-0-03406900-1448347843_thumb.jpg

how about a Yellow Legged Gull ?

@@Soukous

too easy?

Yellow legged Gull photographed on the Island of Ischia, Italy

I did find that one a bit easy @@mvecht

It was obviously a gull ( and a lovely portrait ) and so I didn't have to look very far.

I thought you wouldn't post anything as mundane as a Herring Gull and the red circle around the eye was a clincher.

this should take about 5 minutes

post-43899-0-27728000-1448370178_thumb.jpg

Edited by Soukous

No it is not a plush-crested jay, I don’t want to go for this one, but if it’s what I think it is checking my bird list I haven’t actually seen this bird but I have seen a photo of it from a rather better angle in a recent trip report but I won’t say anymore than that this time.

@@Soukous - I think the give away is the tree - I'm guessing it's a Blue-faced Honeyeater

Blue Faced Honeyeater it is - well done @ImSA84

@@Soukous - you can just see the olive wings and the shape of the black bib is a give away.

I actually don't know this bird but I guessed it was Australian and I searched for Australian birds, with yellow wings and blue faces - an advert for an Australian retirement home came up with a Blue-faced Honeyeater.

I'm afraid I don't have anything too technical left so here is my humble offering.

Freckled Nightjar @ImSA84?

Nacunda nighthawk?

Thought so, I saw them around Porto Jofre Lodge :) hmmm now I will have to find another challenge!!

ok the next one should not be to difficult if you look at the right continent.

post-5254-0-63307400-1448640988_thumb.jpg

@@mvecht - I'm honestly not sure but I'm going to guess that this is European - so it's a Red-legged partridge?

@ImSA84

Well done

Red legged Partridge from southern Spain.

@@mvecht - thanks

Good move to throw in a European one!

I doubt that this will be too challenging

gallery_47987_1191_16750.jpg

offshorebirder

@ImSA84 - is it a Laughing Falcon?