GAME: name that bird!

Jochen

offshorebirder

@@offshorebirder

Yep - photo taken in the Pantanel, 2014

Darn - now I have to dig up a photo that is not too easy...

offshorebirder

OK - in the interest of keeping things moving, I will throw out this photo I took day before yesterday. Next time I will post something harder...

22767992264_626f2e22b3_o.jpg

Nelson's Sparrow? Maybe a juvenile?

offshorebirder

Precisely so, @@janzin - a juvenile bird indeed. Well done! Over to you.

Incidentally - sorry to hold up the game for a day by missing your post. I should have kept checking the thread instead of waiting for an alert the "I got mentioned in a post"...

Edited by offshorebirder

Wow, I so expected to be wrong that I haven't checked back here in a couple of days either, LOL! Uh-oh, now I have to dig around for another challenge. I'll be back...

This is surely too easy but at the moment I can't find anything, so as to not hold the game up, let's see how fast you can get this one.

DSC_6407a.jpg

@@janzin

I am not so good with North American birds but I will give it a try.

Orange Crowned Warbler?

@@mvecht Haha, as soon as I saw "mvecht" in my notifications I knew that it was over :lol:

Indeed, Orange-crowned Warbler in a pecular fall plumage. It even confused some of our local birders so I'd hoped it would confuse you. Guess not!!

I am running short of challenging shots.

This one should be quite easy.

@janzin thank you for giving me an excuse to read up on American birds. Next on the agenda is to read up on Eastern African birds as I am off to Tanzania in less than two weeks.

post-5254-0-69926400-1449513791_thumb.jpg

Some interesting species posted in the time I've stayed away from this game.

@@mvecht They look like Welcome Swallows to me..

Seems like a little help is needed.

This bird is typically resident to its area and I have not posted any bird from this location before.

@janzin thank you for giving me an excuse to read up on American birds. Next on the agenda is to read up on Eastern African birds as I am off to Tanzania in less than two weeks.

~ @@mvecht

Your bird baffles me.

It reminded me of Hirundo tahitica, but maybe no...

You're going to Tanzania?

Great! I didn't realize that. I hope that you'll enjoy a wonderful Christmas and New Year's Day there!

Thank you for letting us know your travel plans. Will you be visiting several parks and reserves?

Tom K.

@@Tom Kellie

If that is a guess, then the answer is yes.

Pacific Swallow, Hirundo tahitica it is.

Picture taken last December in Langkawi Malaysia. We had a beautiful vacation there but both birds and mammals were relatively absent.

My wife and I are off to Zanzibar and Tanzania for two weeks.

As opposed to you all my safaris have been to Southern Africa so now it was time to visit Eastern Africa.

We will be visiting Zanzibar for 5 nights, Tarangire for 2 nights, Ndutu for 2 nights, Serengeti for 2 nights and Ngorongoro for 1 night.

From childhood I have always wanted to see Ngorongoro as well as the great migration and given that we had to travel over Christmas the itenary was almost given from the beginning. A trip report will ofcourse follow in January.

post-49296-0-95658900-1449870528_thumb.png

~ @@mvecht

After being out of town and away from the Internet for several days, I returned to find your post.

I'd tossed out Hirundo tahitica without much thought, thus am surprised at the result.

The above bird was surprisingly friendly, as if posing for the lens. The photograph was made on 17 January, 2014.

Tom K.

@@Tom Kellie

Looks like a Redstart.

I am not 100% sure but I will give it a guess. Black Redstart Phoenicurus Ochruros?

@@Tom Kellie

Looks like a Redstart.

I am not 100% sure but I will give it a guess. Black Redstart Phoenicurus Ochruros?

~ @@mvecht

Thank you for such an educated guess.

However, it's not Phoenicurus ochuros, which I've never observed or photographed.

Tom K.

@@Tom Kellie is it a female Daurian redstart Phoenicurus auroreus?

~ @@inyathi

Yes it is!

She was as lovely to watch as her mate, with entirely different plumage.

I apologize for the delay in replying.

Tom K.

I hadn’t really tried to identify this one when it first appeared as I thought I’d wait for others to have a go as I don’t want to jump in every time and run myself out of birds. I have to say thanks @@mvecht you got me there a bit quicker I knew you were on the right track with redstarts and @@Tom Kellie’s location pointed me straight to the East Asian species. The Daurian is the only one where the female has that broad white wing patch.

Here’s my next one.

23746651375_438360241c_b.jpg

Jewel among the flowers by inyathi, on Flickr

@@inyathi

glad I could help. I think I got this one but I am running out of Photos so I will have someone else give it a go.

offshorebirder

@@inyathi - perhaps one of the double-collared Sunbirds?

I am going to go with Rwenzori Double-collared Sunbird.

then I will go for greater double collared sunbird

OK

just to add to the fun I will throw in Lesser double collared sunbird.