GAME: name that bird!

Jochen

Lol we have mallards here too! :)

fiscal shrike

Yes, I guess the bill is distinctive, but I didn't realize it would be THAT easy. Even the Northern Pintail in the picture is a global duck, as is the Mallard and some of those mushy grey/white gulls. With one regular in North America and the others that seem well versed in African birds, I am left at a bit of a disadvantage....but this type of site is a good learning tool.

Oh we have some other expert North American birders here (more expert than me!) but I think they might be traveling. Or they got bored with this :)

Well, good luck with this one...I'm starting to have to dig into my secondary "discard" pile of rejected shots, but maybe that makes it more difficult. I hope so!

JZ1_4110.jpg

looks like a flycatcher. Am I close?

offshorebirder

Strike that - it's an Orange-crowned Warbler.

offshorebirder

@@janzin - must be a Tennessee Warbler then. Good challenge - the angle makes it a little trickier than a broadside or breast view.

@@offshorebirder you got it...its a fresh fall Tennessee Warbler. Taken in my local park in Brooklyn, NY, November 2012. Its difficult to make out but you can just see the black line through the eye, which is pretty diagnostic.

your turn!

Edited by janzin

fiscal shrike

Now that you mention the black eye line, it seems quite obvious....

offshorebirder

Now that I finally have some new material, have a go at this everyone:

24532360719_91d4519ef8_b.jpg

Edited by offshorebirder

African dusky flycatcher?

offshorebirder

Right you are, @@kittykat23uk - you knocked it down a couple of rounds sooner than I anticipated.

I was about to post an easier photo of a Chestnut-throated Apalis but I figured that would get swatted down immediately by the sharp Safaritalk crew,,,

Over to you.

fiscal shrike

I would have found the Apalis harder, and I thought a flycather was a trick posting...so I went for the less obvious :(

Well, I guessed from your post that it was a new photo and you had recently been to Kenya so that was my starting point. The bristles made me think it was a flycatcher , but quite a dumpy one and looked like possibly a juvenile bird.

To be honest I will struggle to dig out something now as I am going on holiday on Saturday. Would someone else like to post a bird for now?

fiscal shrike

I'll toss one into the ring. See if you can tell by feathers...post-21208-0-92468800-1455151029_thumb.jpg

fiscal shrike

Yes Geoff. Well done. Over to you.

Sorry for the delay. I've been away from my main computer.

This shouldn't be too hard. What is the little bird on the right? Bonus points if you can identify the other species.

post-5120-0-68004200-1455748807_thumb.jpg

offshorebirder

@@Geoff - Sharp-tailed Sandpiper and Asiatic Dowitchers? In winter plumage.