GAME: name that bird!

Jochen

offshorebirder

@@Geoff - female Elegant Parrot with a worn-away blue frontal band? I think maybe I can just barely see the faintest hint of a blue line across the bird's forehead...

Edited by offshorebirder

@@offshorebirder Nope, guess again. Elegant parrot was the first guess (by Soukous).

How about Blue-winged Parrot?

Hooray. Yes, it's a Blue-winged parrot. In this case a very young bird, I can't tell whether it is a male or female from that plumage stage.

FYI... Another species in this genus the Orange-bellied parrot (The Australian one not the Kenyan one) is one of the rarest birds in the world. A few years ago it was considered that there were less than 20 individuals in the wild. A captive breeding program has been in place for sometime and a number of the captive bred birds are released into the wild each year. Unfortunately last breeding season the remaining wild breeding population was hit with an outbreak of Psittacine Beak & Feather Disease killing most of the nestlings.

Over to you @janzin

Never would have gotten that without your hints! I am at a disadvantage not having any Australian field guides. I figured it had to be Australia since you said it was one of your first bird photographs. But Australia has a lot of parrots :o Once you gave the hint, though, it was a process of elimination.

Ok, try this one...

JCZ_4061a.jpg

No one? Do you want a hint?

No idea really, not a bird I've seen but as it's brown and looks like a flycatcher I'll say Asian Brown flycatcher.

Sorry @@Geoff not Asian Brown Flycatcher.

Here's a hint...this is the female. The male would be easier ;)

Either its still too hard or all the birders are traveling :unsure:

Hmm...just stumbled on this thread but I'm awful with bird ID's. But, thought I would reply just to get email updates... :) . Can you give another hint like country?

kittykat23uk

Just a punt, red-breasted flycatcher?

@@kittykat23uk indeed, I should have realized you'd get it, having probably just seen these the same place I did :D This is a female Red-breasted Flycatcher, Tadoba National Park, India. Naturally, only the male has a red breast! And we never saw a male, oddly.

you're up.....

Edited by janzin

kittykat23uk

Hmm, well it was a bit of a wild guess in all honesty! :) Okay lets try this one:

26717148400_6075b9d4bb_c.jpgP3011691 by Jo Dale, on Flickr

I'm pretty sure its a pipit, but which one? None that I can find have white outer tail feathers. But perhaps that's not diagnostic. Possibly Tawny Pipit?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
fiscal shrike

Richard's Pipit?.

• 3 months later...

Richard's Pipit?.

~ @@kittykat23uk

Is @@fiscal shrike correct?

Students here were puzzled, as the bird in the posted photo does resemble Anthus richardi.

What's puzzled them is that it's slighted ruffled plumage seems to lack the crisply defined feather markings they've observed in Anthus richardi.

We tend to feel that @@fiscal shrike got it right, albeit with hesitation.

Need we consider other possibilities?

Tom K.

kittykat23uk

@@janzin got it with tawny pipit. Sorry I thought I had responded to this before.

• 4 months later...
offshorebirder

This thread seems to have fallen by the wayside. I kind of liked it.

@@janzin - any desire to post a photo in this game?

thanks @offshorebirder I totally missed it! Thanks for bringing this back up, it was a fun thread. The only problem is I'm running out of tricky images (or maybe everyone here is just too good...)

Let's try this one...

JZ5_1793a.jpg

offshorebirder

Thanks @@janzin - the rump is covered by the folded wings, but is it a Yellow Bishop?

Well that was clearly way too easy! Yes, Yellow Bishop. Here she is a few moments later :)

yellow_bishop_1807a.jpg

At Encounter Mara camp, Masai Mara.

Your turn @@offshorebirder

offshorebirder

Thanks @@janzin, so nice to have this game going again.

Truth be told, when I saw this photo going through a batch - I said to myself, I need to use this in the "Name that bird" game on Safaritalk.

32722091761_5ce577e920_o.jpg

Very please to see this game brought back to life.

But I couldn't tell you what this is.

offshorebirder

@@Soukous and others - here is a hint to soften the blow. Side photo of the same bird.

gallery_47829_1639_145855.jpg