GAME: name that bird!

Jochen

Well that sure helps :unsure: Coming right after mine I'd say its some sort of bishop as well, or widowbird, as I see acacia thorns it has to be Africa. But which one? hmmm. Need to research!

Red headed Quelea?

• 1 month later...
offshorebirder

Sorry @@Soukous and @@janzin - I missed the replies since they didn't mention me.

It's not a Quelia but @@janzin is getting very warm. Note the lack of streaking on the breast.

offshorebirder

You got it @@janzin - over to you.

Let's try this one.

JCZ_0538a.jpg

hmmm no guesses. I suppose you'll want a hint.

Its an endemic bird and there's enough in this photo to ID it correctly, believe it or not :D

offshorebirder

@@janzin - just noticed your post.

The white-tipped tail might be Loggerhead Kingbird but the head looks a bit too brown. But I might recall immatures having less dark heads.

So I'll guess Loggerhead Kingbird since it doesn't look right for Giant Kingbird and those are so rare anyway...

I've convinced myself that this is not an African or European bird, which means it is outside my (limited) area of knowledge.

Having checked out @@offshorebirder's suggestion I think he could be correct.

@@offshorebirder unfortunately not correct. Here's a hint--its not a Kingbird at all. What genus looks a lot like Kingbirds? :)

Also, remember I said it was endemic to the country its found in. Neither Loggerhead or Giant Kingbird is endemic anywhere.

I'll give it a little more time, then I can post another photo from another angle.

Edited by janzin

@@janzin I looked at your photo when you first posted it and thought oh great South America this may take a little while :), I then confess I got a little distracted by other threads before I got around to looking it up.

I had quick look at the first book that came to hand which was a Brazilian one that didn't get me further than deciding it was probably not from Brazil. When I saw @offshorebirder’s answer earlier I thought he was close but not correct, it look quite right but I don't know the birds of the Caribbean very well so I had to look it up online, When I saw that it's not endemic to one country I knew it couldn't be right. After a bit of further searching online looking at related species, in the tyrant flycatcher family I found what I think is a good candidate.

I am going to take a stab and say apiric flycatcher I have never been to Colombia, so I have certainly never seen the bird, but I think you may have been there and it is endemic to the country. It looks to me like a good match and my copy of the Birds of Northern South America indicates that it has a white tip to the tail.

@@inyathi good sleuthing, although you spelled it incorrectly I know that you have the right bird. It's indeed Apical Flycatcher, endemic to Columbia. It is the ONLY Myiarchus flycatcher with white tail-tips, which is, as you noted, the defining feature here!

Here he is from the front.

JCZ_0531a.jpg

So @@inyathi over to you!

@@janzin Ha ha :lol: yes I see I have spelled it wrong, I typed my original reply into a Word document and I know I had it correct because I'd only just looked it up, but before I could either save it or post it here my old PC crashed, when I retyped it I obviously misremembered as it's a completely new bird for me and typed it wrong and didn't check and failed to notice when I clicked post that I'd got it wrong. :rolleyes:

Have a go at this one.

9476962085_8fc2d06c51_o.jpg

offshorebirder

@@janzin - Puerto Rican Flycatcher?

@@offshorebirder somehow you missed @@inyathi 's post--he got the correct ID, Apical Flycatcher from Colombia. We now have to figure out his challenge :) and I am thinking about it...

What makes these so hard is not having even a continental location. This would never be the case in real life :) If that is Africa, it might be some sort of Crombec (very short tail) but if its South America there are a lot of other possibilities. And for other continents I can't even hazard a guess!

Edited by janzin

Okay well I may have chosen one of my nuclear options with this one so I will need to offer a bit of help, well I couldn't offer someone who’s seen an apical flycatcher another South American species, at least finding one that would stump you @@janzin would be a real challenge, but I may try to find one later if I go through all of my photos.

I have to confess with my photos that I haven’t always processed them as much as I should have done before I uploaded them, in particular with regard to the white balance. I've quite often looked at some of the photos I've posted in the past on ST and thought I really wish I’d adjusted the WB because now I think they look awful, these days with new photos I do try to make a better job of processing them before I upload them and on occasion when I've wanted to repost images I've uploaded an edited copy and posted that. I was considering uploading this one again but I don’t think this image is too far off, but it might be a tiny bit warmer and slightly darker than it really should be. Not that that will help too much if you don’t know the location, but I thought I'd mention it because it's worried me a little bit before that the colours in some of the photos I've posted in this thread maybe just slightly off.

This bird primarily lives in mangroves.

I suspect I might be the only one here to have seen this species, but looking at its distribution map one of the areas where it occurs is a popular wildlife destination that at least a couple of members here have visited, although I suspect they were mainly there hoping to see some of this regions special and elusive mammals more than its birds. This however is not the location where I saw the bird; I was in a neighbouring country at the time. The specific site where I saw the bird isn't actually within the distribution area shown on the maps online this is clearly a mistake as this species is one of the birds that the site is known for, which just goes to show that distribution maps are not always reliable. This clue may not really help enough so I’ll give another clue to the location later.

haha @@inyathi you are right, that didn't help at all :unsure: In fact it confused me more! Except that I think I can safely assume its not South American.

As for the color balance...interesting you should mention that, because earlier I uploaded your photo into my editor and tried to adjust the color so that it might be more natural--but it didn't help :lol: I have a feeling from what you said that I've not even been in the country where this bird is found so I may be out of luck.

kittykat23uk

I was going to suggest Bornean Whistler, but that is a mountain bird.

@@kittykat23uk Right region, wrong country the Bornean whistler is endemic to the island after which it is named however that was the wildlife destination I was hinting at, I’m guessing if you went to some mangroves in the right part of Borneo you could probably see one and it does also occur in lowland forest, the map shows indicates that it occurs almost throughout Borneo but then I know the map is not accurate. However I saw the bird in a neighbouring country.

Initially I wasn’t going to edit the photo but I changed my mind and uploaded a new larger version I don’t know if it’s massive improvement but I think it’s a bit closer to the few other photos I’ve seen online and being at bit bigger may make it slightly easier.

9476962085_cfa76b591f_o.jpg

I saw this bird during a morning spent birding, on the afternoon of the same day I went sightseeing and saw this fine fellow.

9450166143_18789ea8c8_o.jpg 

Edited by inyathi

Can't even guess as I have no bird field guide for that region, but I like the statuary ;)

Well, since I just got back from Borneo and already had my "Birds of Borneo" book out, I took a look and came up completely empty. I know you didn't see it in Borneo but I was hoping the bird might be in the that book. If it is, I missed it. So, no guess from me yet.

Alan

@@Atdahl It's okay I often have the same problem, I can look at a photo go through a book several times and not find the bird, even when I know it has to be in there, this bird should be in your book, I suspect I don't have the same book because I think it's quite a new one, but I do have a different book that covers Borneo, so I shall have a look at it and see if I can find the bird in there.

Edited by inyathi

I'm very impressed with the detective work going on here. Even Sherlock Holmes would be impressed.

Well, I am afraid I am going to have to resort to some pure guesses here. How about Malaysian Honeyguide?

Alan

kittykat23uk

Aha!! Maybe it is a golden-bellied Gerygone? And perhaps you photographed it in Thailand?