GAME: name that bird!

Jochen

@@kittykat23uk, that's a better guess. I think that's it. Nice pull!

When's your Borneo TR coming? :)

Alan

kittykat23uk

It's already up on mammalwatching.com but I will do a more birds version on here.

@@kittykat23uk Yes right on both counts.

It is indeed a golden-bellied gerygone photographed at the Mahachai Mangrove Research Station near Samut Sakorn just southwest of Bangkok, for some reason the distribution map on the Birdlife website shows this bird occurring in Southern Thailand, but only coming about halfway up the peninsula, nowhere near this actual site. When I looked it up online to check its distribution and saw the map, I thought that’s odd I’d better just check and make sure that it really is the maps that are wrong and not my identification. Aside from the possibility that the colours may not be quite right with some of my bird shots, it always worries me a little bit when I post a new bird, that I might have mislabelled the photo and have my ID wrong. Thankfully that’s not the case, even if Mahachai isn't within the area shown on the maps it is definitely a well known site for the gerygone.

The statue at one of the entrances to Wat Pho Temple in Bangkok, is I believe Chinese in origin and was I think brought to Thailand as ship’s ballast, however the temple entrance is very Thai in style and if you know your flags then the Thai flag in the background is a bit of a giveaway, that this had to be Thailand.

Over to you.

Edited by inyathi

kittykat23uk

Yes I looked up the flag which led me to Thailand. I didn't know the bird, I was still thinking it was some kind of whistler, but none of those fit, but as I was searching for Thailand, Mangrove and whistler, this little yellow bellied bird popped up and I thought it was most likely that. I'll have to have a trawl and see what I can post up! :)

kittykat23uk

Okay this one is probably too easy.

34216006015_7311711d9d_c.jpgP9271167 by Jo Dale, on Flickr

Ho Hum

I'm going to say it's a warbler, the question is which one.

The dark bill distinguishes from most of them so I'll go for a Paddyfield Warbler

kittykat23uk

Nope not a paddyfield warbler.

rats

kittykat23uk

Yeah, @@offshorebirder you got it. This little beauty is a female northern wheatear alough here in the UK they are simply known as wheatear as we only get any other species as vagrants. I didn't think it would take too long to get this one. We are seeing them on passage at the moment, although this particular photo was taken a few years ago. Over to you...

offshorebirder

Thanks @@kittykat23uk - I enjoyed seeing lots of Northern Wheatears recently in Kenya. They occur sometimes in North America but I have never seen one on this side of the pond.

This one should be fairly easy for people too - but it's the best I could come up with on short notice. I seem to have used most of my good photos for this thread....

gallery_47829_1283_49448.jpg

another warbler ? - except that the last one wasn't

• 2 weeks later...
offshorebirder

This thread lost some momentum - so big hint: yes, @@Soukous it is a warbler.

kittykat23uk

I am going to guess at a North American species and say it might be a 1st year female black-throated blue warbler.

offshorebirder

Good eye Jo! The branch obscuring the pale check-mark on her folded wing made it at least a little tricky.

Over to you @@kittykat23uk - I imagine you have some right stumpers from Borneo you can throw at us.

kittykat23uk

Wow, I didn't expect to get that one right. Okay let's try this one.

34446233566_860474b2e7_c.jpgP2140084 by Jo Dale, on Flickr

• 2 weeks later...

@@kittykat23uk I’m not sure about this one but if you’ve done as @@offshorebirder suggested and posted one from Borneo then I’m going to take a guess at yellow-breasted warbler I can’t see the head well enough to be entirely sure so I could be completely wrong. If you didn’t take the photo in Borneo then I'll have to think again because I don't know.

I have to say I didn’t get further than a guess at North America as the likely location for the previous one.

kittykat23uk

A good guess but not the right species. This bird was photographed a bit further north and a bit further west than Borneo.

offshorebirder

@@kittykat23uk - I am having a hard time determining the color of the eye ring on your bird.

But it seems yellowish - so I am going to guess Golden-spectacled Warbler (Seicercus burkii). Even though that has recently been split into multiple species I gather. Do I get credit if it is one of the splits that you saw?

offshorebirder

I have to say I didn’t get further than a guess at North America as the likely location for the previous one.

@@inyathi - I will be playing this game at less of a handicap after I visit Ecuador in the next year or so.. :-)

kittykat23uk

@@kittykat23uk - I am having a hard time determining the color of the eye ring on your bird.

But it seems yellowish - so I am going to guess Golden-spectacled Warbler (Seicercus burkii). Even though that has recently been split into multiple species I gather. Do I get credit if it is one of the splits that you saw?

Yes you do! In fact this bird has caused some confusion. Originally we were told it was Whistler's warbler , which is part of this species complex but the I'D was revised to Green-crowned warbler- which retains the Latin name of Seicercus burkii. Over to you! :)

offshorebirder

Wow @@kittykat23uk - that was a proverbial shot from the hip.

Here is one I came up with on short notice:

30250526306_02f8a5f226_b.jpg

• 7 months later...

Come on, who can name @offshorebirder's mystery bird above? I've also noted that there is a lot more Safaritalk birding happening, so there should be some contenders to give this game a kick start again...

Matt

Dave Williams

@Game Warden, @offshorebirder Never been birding in the US of A but it looks like a warbler. "Google" North American Warblers and an array to choose from, Distinct wing bars ...my guess ...........

Bay-breasted Warbler

offshorebirder

Thanks @Game Warden for jump-starting this thread.   It is a good one.

Exactly right @Dave Williams - a fall male Bay-breasted Warbler.  

Over to you.