GAME: name that bird!

Jochen

Dave Williams

This isn't as easy as it looks... well not to me anyway! Seen in the UK.

have a guess bird.jpg

Edited by Dave Williams

Jack Snipe?

Dave Williams

Scaly-breasted.... now I need to check the book..... Scaly-feathered Finch!

Dave Williams
10 hours ago, offshorebirder said:

Wow - this topic is heating up.

I can tell @Dave Williams will help keep things lively and thanks @kittykat23uk.

@offshorebirder Don't expect too much, unfortunately my portfolio of 9 years of foreign trips was lost 12 months ago so now I have mostly UK images although you might not find all of them readily in a local guide book.

This one should test a few birders, seen locally in North Wales.

Guess this bird!.jpg

Looks like a reedwarbler to me

Dave Williams

Nope @Geoff ! On the right tracks though.

Anyone guessing needs to @Dave Williams otherwise i might not notice a response. Thanks all

looks a lot like a Blyth's Reed Warbler @Dave Williams

Dave Williams

Wrong again @Soukous  I knew it would test a few. When I saw it it was only after a tip off there was one there, a local twitch ( I don't do twitching unless it is local). As soon as I saw it it was obviously different to other warblers I'd seen but I'm not sure I would have realised it was if I wasn't looking. One of those boring little LBJ's ( little brown jobs for the uninitiated :unsure:) that I may well have ignored had I found it first myself.

Having never seen any of these birds I'll go with something rarer ~ Booted Warbler.

@Dave Williams If you follow the thread you'll be notified whenever anyone adds a post.  To do so click on 'Follow' at top right corner of the page

Dave Williams

Cheers for that little gem of info Geoff and well done, you got it right!

I'm now a follower!

It's the long school holiday break here, so I'm travelling a fair bit (including today) and often without internet access.

If I do not reply to a guess within the next 48 hours some one go ahead and post another image.

For now try these guys...

5a5d2aeb8e4cb_Whatbird.thumb.jpg.208b02cb53c2d33684546542cef47b06.jpg

@Geoff It would have taken me a long time to get that warbler right, although I might have got in the end as the clue was in the fact that it was a twitch, which ruled any of the common warblers, I knew the previous two, but decided not to jump in but didn't think anyone would get them that quickly. As for this pair I will take a punt and say I can't see any wattles, maybe because they are hidden from view or these are young birds, but I think they could be red wattlebirds.  

@Geoff I wasn't totally sure but I thought they had a certain Aussie look about them. 

Since some of the new additions have been identified very quickly I thought I'd offer up what might prove to be a challenge, if no one can offer a good guess then I'll give some clues, but for now you'll just have to make do with the photo.

29882275796_c54132a062_o.jpg 

that one is easy @inyathi it's a black bird

@inyathi - I'm going to take a random punt - with the theory that it's a Forbes or Chopi Blackbird - of which I'll go Chopi? 

@Soukous Well you’re right about one thing colour does come into its name, but I was being deliberately mean with my choice of photo, since the bird I posted doesn’t actually have any of the colour concerned on it.

@lmSA84 That’s a good guess because, I have just read some information on my bird and it did say that the females and young males are often mistaken for Chopi blackbirds.

What you really need is a photo of a mature male, he looks like this.

29821815895_f89a877219_o.jpg 

That should make it a tiny bit easier.

Edited by inyathi

Scarlet-throated tanager?

• 4 weeks later...

Okay let's try this one:

40176338532_af48104f74_c.jpg

P1140643 by Jo Dale, on Flickr

Edited by kittykat23uk