GAME: name that bird!

Jochen

Dave Williams

That's a rambling clue!

It's a Babbler of some description perhaps?

kittykat23uk

Large grey babbler maybe?

Dave Williams

I think it's a Brown Babbler @inyathi   

I should have done so before guessing but I have just searched Safaritalk and here they are. @TonyQ should have got that too!

Edited by Dave Williams

I was about to offer another clue, I was a bit concerned that when I said totally different location that I might have steered everyone away from Africa, what I should perhaps have said was different country as my previous bird was an African species and I didn't mean to imply that it was from another continent.

@Dave Williams Bang on, my rather poor photo was taken at Tinga Lodge in Zakouma in Chad, had I posted a photo as good as @TonyQ's Gambian shots it would have been a lot easier, my reference to a recent trip report then did help as it was in his Gambian report that I saw the photos.

Over to you 

Dave Williams

I'll try this one. 

Despite the fact I took the photo I wouldn't have remembered what it was without having labelled it, which of course has now been changed!

Quiz.jpg

@Dave Williams I was waiting to see if anyone else wanted to have a go but it seems no one does so far, so I'm going to say I think it's a golden pipit.

Dave Williams

@inyathi Spot on again. My musical clues would soon have been posted starting with Toto! Not sure how common the Golden Pipit is but our guide was excited about it, seen in Tsavo East NP,Kenya.

Over to you.

@Dave Williams I've seen golden pipit over the border in Tanzania, a quick check online suggests they're not rare, the IUCN Red List says they're locally common in Kenya and Tanzs where most birders are likely to see them but they are common in Somalia so if you went on a birding trip to Somaliland you should probably find it there without too much trouble.

A very nice bird to see.

Shouldn't be too hard this next one.

39451727270_2669699a86_o.jpg 

Time for a clue, like me this bird was enjoying an equatorial holiday.

offshorebirder

@inyathi, is it a Semi-collared Flycatcher?    The pale forecrown and brownish color give me some pause in calling it that, but it might be an immature male transitioning into adult plumage...

@offshorebirder Yes spot on it's a semi-collared flycatcher a southeastern European/Near Eastern bird enjoying a winter vacation in Africa.

Over to you

offshorebirder

Oh darn, I have been caught flat-footed.

offshorebirder

Pardon the somewhat blurry flight shot - but I think this one might be fun and not-too-difficult:

flight.thumb.jpg.c3ee8ce819f18c79ab8a2be6b3460685.jpg

Dave Williams

@offshorebirder I'm pretty certain it's a Nuthatch so I'll guess  American Nuthatch.

offshorebirder

@Dave Williams - you are on the right track, but there is actually not a species called 'American Nuthatch'.

Dave Williams

@offshorebirderSo I realised when I googled it! How about White-breasted Nuthatch then?

offshorebirder

Correct @Dave Williams - good eye to know it's a Nuthatch.  

Over to you, looking forward to your next challenge.

Dave Williams

Shouldn't take long to get this one!

ID Quiz.jpg

Dave Williams

I'm going to have to virtually give this one away as I'm going to be without internet access for a while.

The clue is a war torn country in the Middle East.

Well then I suppose it must be Syrian Woodpecker.  But without the clue I would have been at a loss!

Dave Williams

@janzin Correct! Sorry I am away from home and the WIFI is very poor. Over to you.

Try this one...

Untitled.jpg.8afa33806f14639fbab315bfd0a554a3.jpg

Umm, Small ground finch.   Have you been to the Galapagos Islands Janet?

@Geoff I guess I am making these too easy.  I think next time I will post only the backs of birds or the undersides :lol:

Of course its Small Ground Finch, San Cristobal, Galapagos Islands.

Your turn.

Next we have....

What bird2.jpg