GAME: name that bird!

Jochen

Dave Williams

Never seen one but I'll kick off with a Benguela Long-billed Lark

hmm maybe we need a hint.  Here's another photo showing the entire bird. (Might not be the same individual, but same species for sure.) Not sure how much that helps :)

DSC_7861.jpg.5072493d02b7c4cd0934b83678e8814e.jpg

Dave Williams

@xelasWhat on earth were you looking at Alex!! Certainly not the photo above!!

Huh, wrong page and even wrong answer :wacko:! Oh well, that happens when coming back after a shorter break.

2 hours ago, xelas said:

Juvenile Green Heron maybe, @Dave Williams??

Whatever you're taking @xelas I want some. :D

Dave Williams

As far as the photo goes though, I definitely need more of a clue....location, even by continent would be a start. Little brown jobs are confusing at the best of times, even with a perfect photo showing the details. There must be hundreds to choose from !

My thoughts are it's an insect eater due to bill shape. A Flycatcher of some description?

1 hour ago, Soukous said:

Whatever you're taking @xelas I want some. :D

Come to Slovenia @Soukous, we have enough Laško for all in need :lol:!

offshorebirder

@Dave Williams - it looks Pipit-like to me.   A very unmarked / unstreaked one.  

It looks similar to a Long-billed Pipit, except the lower mandible is light grey instead of tan.  Perhaps an immature bird? 

@janzin - I will guess Long-billed Pipit even though I have a few doubts.

Dave Williams
1 hour ago, offshorebirder said:

@Dave Williams - it looks Pipit-like to me.   A very unmarked / unstreaked one.  

It looks similar to a Long-billed Pipit, except the lower mandible is light grey instead of tan.  Perhaps an immature bird? 

@janzin - I will guess Long-billed Pipit even though I have a few doubts.

@offshorebirderCould be the right tracks there , my original thought was a Lark with a long bill.

We don't want things too easy but the whole point of the quiz is to get people thinking, check out guides or even google, and learn in the process but sometimes an  "LBJ" doesn't reveal too much in the way of clues!!

8 hours ago, xelas said:

Juvenile Green Heron maybe, @Dave Williams??

hahaha I think Alex's brain is still on vacation somewhere.... :lol:

6 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

As far as the photo goes though, I definitely need more of a clue....location, even by continent would be a start. Little brown jobs are confusing at the best of times, even with a perfect photo showing the details. There must be hundreds to choose from !

My thoughts are it's an insect eater due to bill shape. A Flycatcher of some description?

I've always thought there is not much benefit to these quizzes (in terms of learning) if we don't know the continent. Even Old World vs New World would help. I mean, in "real life" one always knows where one is when birding. Well...almost always... @xelas apparently is asleep... :D:lol::rolleyes:

Anyway, neither a lark NOR a pipit! So I will give a hint. Its in the New World.  And, its endemic to its country. There you go...two hints.

1 minute ago, janzin said:

Well...almost always... @xelas apparently is asleep... :D:lol::rolleyes:

Nope, was well awake when birding, not so much when opening this thread, obviously :lol:. At times it was that dark and wet I have no idea where is left or right, up or down ... but somehow we always managed not to get lost ^_^.

Also my first reaction was to ask you posters to give us less experienced birders some clues, like the continent or even better, the country that the photo was taken. For more experienced ones this might take away some of the fun, but at least more of us will be able to participate ... actively.

3 minutes ago, xelas said:

Also my first reaction was to ask you posters to give us less experienced birders some clues, like the continent or even better, the country that the photo was taken. For more experienced ones this might take away some of the fun, but at least more of us will be able to participate ... actively.

I agree, and I had brought this up quite awhile back. Even experienced birders...if we don't know where we are supposed to be looking, its sometimes nearly impossible, and as I said, not even all that educational. I would vote for starting with specifying old/new world (or Western/Eastern hemisphere if you prefer), and then as the next clue, continent. Country might make it too easy in some cases.

Edited by janzin

@janzin - I would guess this is a Coastal Miner?

Edited by lmSA84

@lmSA84 you got it! Maybe I should have only given one clue :)

Yes, its a Coastal Miner, endemic to Peru. This was taken on the Peruvian coast near Pucasana way back in 2005...with my first digital DSLR camera, a Nikon D100.

https://neotropical.birds.cornell.edu/Species-Account/nb/species/coamin1/overview

@janzin - You actually gave us a very big clue! So much so that I guessed it as soon as I saw it! You have to go to page 52 of this thread to see why ;)

Dave Williams
1 hour ago, lmSA84 said:

@janzin - You actually gave us a very big clue! So much so that I guessed it as soon as I saw it! You have to go to page 52 of this thread to see why ;)

I was very impressed.... you should have kept quiet!!!! 

You obviously have a better memory than Janzin!

@lmSA84 OMG I can't believe I did that! :o Yes, clearly my memory is going! But on the other hand, at least my brain is still working, in the the sense that I paged through older photos and selected the same bird--so great minds still think alike even if its the same absent-minded mind hahahahah

I sort of think @lmSA84 sort of had an unfair advantage on this one :D:lol::P but to be fair, he got it the first time very quickly!

On 8/16/2018 at 7:21 PM, janzin said:

hahaha I think Alex's brain is still on vacation somewhere.... :lol:

Janet, maybe Alex isn't the only one whose brain is on vacation :D

You posted the same bird twice and the same person guessed it twice. Love it.

I'm pretty sure that I haven't posted this one before....:ph34r:

gallery_47987_1191_229589.jpg

Ha, that was one that I knew instantly, as soon as I saw it I said Saffron Finch! I was going to hold back and let someone else try for it, but since I so rarely know one so instantly, I just couldn't keep quiet :D

Well, now its back to the archives for me...hopefully I won't pick another duplicate, but I am not going back through 74 pages to check lol.