GAME: name that bird!

Jochen

5 hours ago, Soukous said:

or maybe not.

sorry @janzin & @kittykat23uk.

Now I am beginning to worry that I have got the ID wrong. Mind you, our guide in India got it wrong at the time.

ha, maybe you need to post it in the Bird ID section.  Where's @Galana?

17 hours ago, mvecht said:

How about Jungle Bush-quail?

Woo Hoo! You got it. @mvecht

It is a female Jungle Bush Quail. Shot (with a camera :rolleyes:) in Ranthambhore n November 2019

Jungle Bush Quail f

and here is the male

Jungle Bush Quail m

@Soukous

I really should have got this; I knew I’d kick myself when you posted the answer, but in my defence I’ll blame it on the fact that the internet is sexist and nearly all of the photos that come up of jungle bush quails, are of male birds.:rolleyes:

Actually, though, having had another look through images in the Oriental Bird Club’s Image Database, I think your bird while it might very well be a female, is a juvenile, which added to the challenge,.from what I can see an adult female should have the same chestnut throat that the male has, not the white streaking that your bird has on its throat nor or on its breast, so it has to be a juvenile.   

At least I wasn’t wrong in thinking it was a quail; I just didn’t look at enough images and pick the right one. 

I can only add, @mvecht well done.:)

15 minutes ago, inyathi said:

I think your bird while it might very well be a female, is a juvenile, which added to the challenge,

Yes, I had not considered that. It was not meant to be that hard. :wacko:

The next challenge may not be to difficult, but I have chosen a bird from a region where we don`t see too many posts.DSCN5786.JPG.666da31589106b683444e9cbf98ac852.JPG

Looks like no one will have a go?

clue

Start with the color of the tail, no pun intended

@mvecht Sorry I've been a bit busy and hadn't looked at it properly, is it a blackstart?

@inyathi spot on!

@mvecht Thanks, I thought it had to be that after your clue, and then looking at the distribution confirmed it, as its range tied in with your first clue.

I wasn't sure where to go next, as my last offering was too easy, but I don't want to go too hard at this point either.

Try this one. 

49281434713_fbdb99d48e_o.jpg 

If no one is going to take a guess, time for a clue, this bird is primarily found in the country where the photo was taken, but its range crosses the border into six neighbouring countries, even if you haven’t seen this bird, you may very likely have been to the country where I took this shot or to one or more of its neighbours.  

This clue will I hope point to where the bird is from and that should make identifying it rather easier, I will try and offer more clues if no one takes a guess.

What about sharing a continent first?

Thinking about my clue, it wasn’t maybe as helpful as it could have been, what I should perhaps have said is that the country where I took the photo, is surrounded by 8 other countries and this bird does occur in 6 of them, although in some cases really only just. This may not help that much, but actually looking at the distribution map again I see that it also occurs in a near neighbour with which it doesn’t share a border, a country that a small number of adventurous travellers here have been to, although as yet I haven’t. If anyone has also seen this bird, it would mostly likely be in the same country where my photo was taken, but there are though trip reports on all but one of the other countries where it occurs, we’re still waiting for someone to visit that country and write a report, but going there is possible, so perhaps one day someone will.

It may be that not many others have seen this bird, as a quick search revealed only one trip report that includes this species and one of the two photos of it, is the one I’ve posted above, however, you certainly should have seen related species.   

That should narrow it down, I would think

pedro maia

Rufous-bellied tit?

Edited by pedro maia

@pedro maia Bullseye, yes rufous-bellied tit in Zambia, over to you.

pedro maia

@inyathi, I wasn’t really expecting to guess the bird name, now I’ll have to look for something :D.

pedro maia

Inmature.jpg.e171a7ffb88e3eef59b82d76446a25ff.jpg

Bare-throated Tiger Heron I think.

pedro maia
1 hour ago, janzin said:

Bare-throated Tiger Heron I think.

Not exactly ;).

Rufescent Tiger Heron?

pedro maia
29 minutes ago, janzin said:

Rufescent Tiger Heron?

Your turn!!

okay, here goes...

mysterybird.jpg.2aa25a42fb7aabf6a3a0b83a3007a052.jpg

some sort of Cuckoo?

I haven't had a proper go at trying to identify this, but the look of the bird suggests to me at least that it's probably from South America, but I don't want to guess at the ID straight off the top of my head. 

1 hour ago, mvecht said:

some sort of Cuckoo?

no sorry not a cuckoo

1 hour ago, inyathi said:

I haven't had a proper go at trying to identify this, but the look of the bird suggests to me at least that it's probably from South America, but I don't want to guess at the ID straight off the top of my head. 

Warm :)

I think there are some clues on the bird, at least one should be able to narrow down as to family so I will withhold additional clues for the moment.

@janzin

Okay, well the leaves suggest somewhere tropical, rather more than somewhere temperate although I could be wrong, that and the look of the bird was why I suggested South America, so sticking with my view that it’s an American bird and more specifically a Neotropical species, I’d say then that it’s a Central American or Caribbean bird, if that is the case it will be more of a challenge, as  I’ve not visited either region, but I reckon if I consult the books I do have, I might be able to narrow it down to the right family and take it from there. Since I may be wrong about it being a Neotropical species, I may look further north as well, if I don’t find it, my pointers may help someone else, assuming I’m on the right track.