GAME: name that bird!

Jochen

pedro maia
11 hours ago, offshorebirder said:

@pedro maia - is it a Booted Eagle?

It is indeed, the dark morph wich is scarcer than the pallid, I hadn´t seen it before:

2092897789_guiacaladaformaescura.jpg.156e2caacaf8c448078f89e700e49148.jpg

offshorebirder

I am kicking myself for not having a photo ready when I ventured a guess to @pedro maia's raptor photo.

I hope this is not too difficult - if so let me know and I will post another.

This is a recently fledged chick leaping from one floating reed to another.  It was following a parent from one patch of marshy vegetation to another, across a little patch of open water.  The weight of its leap pushed the reed underwater, complicating things for the little creature.  I doubt it got much lift from flapping its featherless wing nubbins, but A plus for effort.

chick_leaping.jpg.36f5501caa80dc69b5d58d28a16f266c.jpg

A Black Crake maybe?

offshorebirder

Sorry @Soukous - it is not a Black Crake.

Good educated  guess however.

Possibly some kind of Gallinule or Swamp Hen ??

Peter Connan

Lovely moment! 

offshorebirder

@Soukous - you are getting warmer but I think the rules of the game require guessing specific species?

1 hour ago, offshorebirder said:

@Soukous - you are getting warmer but I think the rules of the game require guessing specific species?

:D

I know Nate.

offshorebirder

Unfortunately not a Moorhen chick @xelas.

@offshorebirder Sorry, I've been largely ignoring this one, in the hope that someone else was going to get it, but as no one else has thus far, I will suggest purple gallinule. 

offshorebirder

Yes indeed @inyathi - it is a Purple Gallinule chick.

Here is a photo of the mother shepherding the little chick (with huge feet):

spacer.png

Over to you.

@offshorebirder I was hoping someone else would take a go, but intending to jump in, to keep the game going, if no one offered an answer, I thought that as @Soukous was halfway there, he might have been tempted to have another go. 

Anyhow have ago at this pair 

46773118692_d1052b92a7_o.jpg 

offshorebirder

@inyathi - Mosque Swallows perhaps?

@offshorebirder Well that was a short round, I was hoping that the pine tree, might suggest that they were not in Africa, so much for that idea :lol:, yes they are mosque swallows in Tanzania,  back over to you

I'll take a bit more time over choosing my next one, and find something much harder:)

offshorebirder

Not to hold the game up, here is my next submission:

NameThatBird_crop2.jpg.e98630118124edc6a6eea57d53bf4caf.jpg

Edited by offshorebirder

Bee Hummingbird

10 hours ago, inyathi said:

I was hoping someone else would take a go, but intending to jump in, to keep the game going, if no one offered an answer, I thought that as @Soukous was halfway there, he might have been tempted to have another go. 

I did consider just firing guesses until I got it, but that didn;t seem to be in the spirit of the game.

offshorebirder

Sorry @marg - not a Bee Hummingbird.   

@Soukous Blind guesses might go a bit against the spirit of the game, but I rely heavily on guesses, they're just informed guesses I hope, but still guesses, in this case of that chick, the size and shape of the bill suggested a gallinule, rather than a rail or crake of some sort, so I started with the gallinule family and Nate's location in the States, the knowledge that the US has purple gallinules, made me think that was probably it, because it led me to the guess, that it was most likely a photo he took in his own backyard, so to speak, I know he takes plenty of photos of US birds. I could have been wrong and it could perhaps have been, a purple swamphen in Africa,  but on balance of probability, I thought that was less likely, they do also have common gallinule in the US, but it is a recent 2011 split from the common moorhen, I see quite a lot of common moorhen chicks at home, I figured they'd look the same, so I knew it wasn't that. I wasn't 100% sure, that it couldn't be something else, I couldn't be bothered to get my North American bird book, so I just had a quick look at a Google and that confirmed there are no other gallinules in the US, I then looked at a few online photos to be sure, that convinced me I was right, so then there was no need to look at other waterbirds. I always start by trying to make an informed guess, as to which part of the world the photo was taken in, based on the look of the bird, the photographers home location and what I know of their travels. Of course, it doesn't always get me to the right answer, i didn't have to guess at all where that booted eagle shot was taken and I still didn't get it right :lol:.     

It looks like I now need to go and get that bird book, as I've no idea off the top of my head, which hummer this is, in this case the right book might prove quicker than Google.:), if I assume it's a US species, then there are not too many to choose from, if it's a South American hummer, then there are pages and pages of them, this is why, taking a good guess at the rough location is a huge help.     

@offshorebirder Having now consulted the book, I'm pretty confident as to which one it is, but I will keep the answer under my pith helmet for the moment and let others have ago, then I can spend more time finding a properly hard bird for my next entry.  

pedro maia

Olive spotted hummingbird?

offshorebirder

Sorry @pedro maia - it is not an Olive-spotted Hummingbird, although now that you mention  it there  is a strong resemblance.

I did not mean for this to be difficult so let me give a hint - it's a North  American species.

pedro maia

Ruby-throated hummingbird?

offshorebirder

Sorry not to have seen this sooner @pedro maia - next time please mention my name to get my attention.

Yes, it is a Ruby-throated Hummingbird.

Over to you.

pedro maia

Let´s try this one:

name.jpg.1aca91ce4592b7e9da93281ccd7534bc.jpg