GAME: name that bird!

Jochen

campsafari2015
On 7/18/2020 at 9:23 AM, janzin said:

okay try this one.

JZ7_8869.jpg.6ec52dbd49b76b68a96954c8c8dad2b0.jpg

Is this some type of Tyrant? I'd guess Amazonian Black-Tyrant just for funsies...but that bill reminded me of a Boat-billed Flycatcher and I started my search from there as I've no real clue about this bird.

Edited by campsafari2015

54 minutes ago, marg said:

American Crow

Nope.

35 minutes ago, campsafari2015 said:

Is this some type of Tyrant? I'd guess Amazonian Black-Tyrant just for funsies...but that bill reminded me of a Boat-billed Flycatcher and I started my search from there as I've no real clue about this bird.

Not a Tyrant.

Should I give a clue, or wait a bit longer?

offshorebirder
7 hours ago, janzin said:

I'll give it to the end of today and then I guess I'll have to provide more clues.

Or a better angle for us to see ID details.

Don't have any other angles, but here's a big clue:  this is a female. If you saw the male, you'd probably get it right away.

@janzin Normally I have a reasonable idea of what sort of bird I might be looking at and and thus which part of the world to focus on, but I wasn't quite so sure in this case, other than I was fairly confident it was not Africa, I thought in the end that South America was fairly likely, I did wonder if this could be a bird that I've seen, but I was not sure it looked quite right nor if you had visited the right area of Brazil, however it fits with your clue, so I'll say is it a female scarlet-throated tanager.  

@inyathi not a Scarlet-throated tanager but you are in the right hemisphere :)

sorry posted twice.

Edited by janzin

@janzin I knew my guess was completely wrong, your bird is much bigger and the bill is the wrong shape, I was focusing on the other photo game and should have had a look for a better fit, rather than just make a silly guess that I knew would be wrong, however, I wasn't trying too hard at first in the hope that someone else might go for it. Having at another look at my book, I think I have the answer, I think it could be a female purple-throated fruitcrow, If that's correct, I really should have got it earlier as I've seen this bird, and I don't know how I missed it when I flicked through the book the first time, if I'd been more focused on this game, I'm sure I wouldn't have done.   

@inyathi you got it! I thought this one would take longer :rolleyes: or at least there would be more guesses.

Here's the male, obviously that gives it away as its name is very descriptive :)  These Purple-throated Fruitcrows were taken in Panama, on Pipeline Road, although the bird has a wide distribution in Central and northern South America.

purple_throated_fruitcrow_8873b.jpg

over to you....

Whether this game is easy or difficult, depends so much on where you come from and where you've been and of course which books you have, maybe this next one will be easy or maybe not.

50097587406_fefdee93f0_o.jpg 

I could probably get this one with a bit of effort but I'm not even going to try. Let some others have a chance :) besides, I am out of ideas for challenges!

It looks very much like a Stock Dove, but surely not??

@Soukous Well I didn't want to to just post another South American bird and hand it straight back to @janzin had she wanted to take it, nor spent too long over picking a photo, besides I was worried that all these difficult exotics might have sent you to sleep, so I posted the dove to see if you were awake :lol:, I wondered whether given all of my travels you might think it was some exotic pigeon or dove, from a far flung corner of the planet, but no you're absolutely right it's just a humble stock dove on my home patch. :) Much too easy,  but to someone not from Europe who didn't guess straight away that it was a European bird, maybe not so easy, I don't know.

Over to you.  

offshorebirder
5 hours ago, inyathi said:

but to someone not from Europe who didn't guess straight away that it was a European bird, maybe not so easy,

True in my case.

15 hours ago, inyathi said:

I wondered whether given all of my travels you might think it was some exotic pigeon or dove, from a far flung corner of the planet,

Of course I did. But as I couldn't find one it resembled I kept coming back to the Stock Dove. 

Try this one. To be honest, I have no idea whether it is easy or hard. :unsure: Time will tell

1282248473_little-uns.jpg.b27414cc08103924a038846b0b6529ae.jpg

They look like baby mallards.

5 minutes ago, pedro maia said:

They look like baby mallards.

but they are not :(

7 minutes ago, Soukous said:

but they are not :(

I´m a bit relieved, I don´t think I have anything to post here :lol:.

@Soukous  They do look just like mallards,  but that would have been just a bit too obvious, I didn't think you would do that just after I'd done it with my stock dove, but I'm going to guess that you didn't travel too far to see these birds and suggest that they are northern shovelers, the ducklings of this species look almost identical to mallards, the bill of that one at the back suggests shoveler to me, besides whilst there are other species found in the UK, that have the same colouration, there are none that have the exact same head markings as well. If they're not mallards they have to be shovelers, unless the photo wasn't taken in the UK/Europe, then I guess around the world, there could be lots of other species with similar ducklings.

campsafari2015

I'll go with Pacific Black Duck

offshorebirder

Garganey ducklings @Soukous.

@offshorebirder Interesting suggestion, I hadn't noticed, but for some reason the book I was looking at didn't have an illustration of garganey ducklings, so I hadn't consider garganey, but clearly it is another species over here, that does have ducklings with the right colouration and head markings, I guess we will find out from @Soukous soon enough which of us is right, @campsafari2015 proved my point that there are other ducklings around the world, that have the right colour and markings, we could all be wrong.:D     

offshorebirder

@inyathi -  the first thing I said to myself upon seeing the coloration and pattern of @Soukous' ducklings was "those are teal chicks".   

The slightly spatulate bill is consistent with larger teals such as Blue-winged or especially Garganey.   

I Googled which teal species bred in Britain and saw that yes, Garganey did.   The only other teal breeding in Britain seems to be Anas crecca (Common / Green-winged Teal) and they do not have semi-spatulate bills.   Also, the face pattern on Anas crecca ducklings is different than @Soukous' birds -  they have "double horizontal dark stripes" instead of "a stripe and a dot".

So Garganay seemed like the answer.