GAME: name that bird!

Jochen

offshorebirder

Some sort of Antpitta?   Looks like a Chestnut-naped  but with a light green nape.

Hmm, I was thinking it might be a bird from Zambia, but when @offshorebirder made his suggestion it clicked that he had been with you in Zambia and would probably know what you saw there. So I'm still struggling to even find the right continent. :(

Edited by Soukous

@Soukous The continent is s one that you have visited a few times, although I picked this bird knowing that no regular players of this game are likely to have seen it, it is in one of the bird books on your shelf, pick the right one and you should find the bird, although it might take a while.   

For those who haven't been to the right continent and don't have a relevant book, then I'm afraid this is quite a difficult one. 

I did post a bird from Zambia before @offshorebirder rejoined the game, I haven't been tempted to do so since, but perhaps when the time is right.

How about a female Orange-bellied Flowerpecker?

@Soukous No it's not that, but you are in the right part of the world. 

Slaty-bellied Tesia ?

Edited by Soukous

@Soukous Well done, yes it is a slaty-bellied tesia seen in Thailand, over to you.

17 hours ago, inyathi said:

it is a slaty-bellied tesia seen in Thailand, over to you.

Lucky me, I was looking at birds of India.

I'm struggling here. I don't have many photos of 'difficult to ID' birds

try this one

zim38.jpg.cd12a6d550a400010cc1245b3a446872.jpg

Edited by Soukous
corrected typo

@Soukous I'm not sure if this is right or not, but as it seems no one else is going to take a guess I'll say is it an African or grassland pipit (Anthus cinnamomeus)

Edited by inyathi

9 hours ago, inyathi said:

@Soukous I'm not sure if this is right or not, but as it seems no one else is going to take a guess I'll say is it an African or grassland pipit (Anthus cinnamomeus)

Sorry Rob, it is neither of those. And I'm not going to give any clues yet because you'll succeed without them.

@Soukous I thought that might be wrong, I was much too hasty with my guess and should have looked at it for longer, I'm thinking that it could be a Long-billed Pipit (Anthus similis), pipits are not that easy so that could be wrong as well, but the long-billed does occur in both Africa and Asia, which makes it an obvious choice and it does look like your bird.    

Well, as you have both guessed ( @inyathi & @mvecht) it is a Pipit. But, to the best of my knowledge, none of the ones you have named so far.

offshorebirder

Wish I could see the breast and underparts.   Not enough to go on for an American like me - but I imagine my Old World friends have enough to go on.

What has happened to your pipit @Soukous?

7 hours ago, ElaineAust said:

What has happened to your pipit @Soukous?

It's still there, lonely and forlorn and unidentified :(

On 8/6/2020 at 9:53 PM, offshorebirder said:

Wish I could see the breast and underparts. 

Your wish is my command Nate, although if no-one gets it now something is very wrong

zim38a.jpg.56749431b04629ce3385e9a3e23d5805.jpg

offshorebirder

I don't want to officially guess because I have no photos ready to contribute if I get the answer.

But I think it might be a LBP.

10 hours ago, offshorebirder said:

I don't want to officially guess because I have no photos ready to contribute if I get the answer.

But I think it might be a LBP.

No sir

@Soukous Well I was hoping having ruled out several possibilities, that I had made it that much easier for everyone else and then someone else would get it and spare me from having to make another guess and risk the embarrassment of being wrong again and end up having to name every blessed pipit, however, I'm afraid the problem with this game, is there are just aren't enough of us playing it, so I don't suppose anyone else will take a guess. I will say though I may well be wrong again, is it s paddyfield pipit  (Anthus rufulus)?

@Soukous I am terrible with LBJs and only have Birding Guides for Australian and Southern India and Google does not help in this case.  So I will throw my hat into the ring with a Nigril Pipit.  May as well try to get some use out of Birds of Soutern India as I do not know when I will be able to use it in the field.  Cheers. Elaine

8 hours ago, inyathi said:

is it s paddyfield pipit  (Anthus rufulus)?

Yes it is. Good call.

7 hours ago, ElaineAust said:

So I will throw my hat into the ring with a Nigril Pipit. 

Sorry Elaine, not that one.