GAME: name that bird!

Jochen

BRACQUENE

@Soukous

This is also an " out of competion " guess because for a few days now this started to fascinate me : perhaps a juvinile first winter Tawny Pipit ?  

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Galana

• inyathi

• Soukous

• janzin

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Woo Hoo! You got it. @mvecht It is a female Jungle Bush Quail. Shot (with a camera ) in Ranthambhore n November 2019     and here is the male    

I've always viewed the thread "Where was the picture taken" as an extension of this thread "Name the bird", except that the former had to have a picture of wildlife, not necessary a bird. I think both

~ Dear Friends @Soukousand @Galana:   Thank you so much for your kind comments above. I'm grateful for your interest in the East Asian students who have enjoyed playing this game.  

Posted Images

Soukous
3 minutes ago, BRACQUENE said:

@Soukous

This is also an " out of competion " guess because for a few days now this started to fascinate me : perhaps a juvinile first winter Tawny Pipit ?  

Sorry No. @inyathi already guessed it. It is a Paddyfield Pipit

BRACQUENE

@Soukous

In dutch they say : "schoenmaker blijf bij uw leest" or "cobbler stick to your last ":D

inyathi

@Soukous Thanks, I don't why I didn't take a much better look at paddyfield before, i wasn't entirely confident just because my previous guesses were wrong, but when I looked at the map and saw that it occurs pretty much throughout India, I thought I bet that's it. 

I wasn't sure where to go next, I picked quite a hard one and then changed my mind and thought we had quite a few hard ones, so let's save that one for later and have a not quite so hard one, especially since I've given you a pair.

35369492411_68f0b0bb40_o.jpg 

Soukous

I'm not sure if you've been to northern Namibia but these could be Hartlaub's Spurfowl

inyathi

@Soukous Well that speeded things up a bit,  I had a feeling that I might have gone for one that was just a bit too easy, yes you are correct Hartlaub's francolins, straight back to you. 

Soukous
1 hour ago, inyathi said:

@Soukous Well that speeded things up a bit,  I had a feeling that I might have gone for one that was just a bit too easy, yes you are correct Hartlaub's francolins, straight back to you. 

Oh bugger. :o That wasn't the plan. But then I thought the Pipit would be easy because it was a reasonably clear photo.

I'll have to go looking for something now.

Soukous

This shouldn't take long.

420692250_hangglider.jpg.62eca31d93775878bfe2e34cd13dfe28.jpg

offshorebirder
8 hours ago, Soukous said:

That wasn't the plan.

Often isn't - Haw!

• 2 weeks later...
janzin

So has this game totally stalled again?  I have given up on the "where was this photo taken" game as the entries got too ridiculously obscure and difficult (photos of grass??)  :rolleyes:  but I figured at least this game offers some hope of success!  (Although I have always felt that this game should at least include the continent so there is some idea where to start.)

That said, I don't have a clue as to @Soukous last entry.

Soukous
4 minutes ago, janzin said:

I have given up on the "where was this photo taken" game as the entries got too ridiculously obscure and difficult (photos of grass??) 

I'm with you there. :wacko:

and 'yes' this game does seem to have hit the buffers. And I thought it was an easy one to guess.

offshorebirder

My problem is that I am nearly out of photos to submit to this game.   But I think it's a lot of fun - just have to sit out some entries for various reasons.

Edited by offshorebirder
inyathi

@Soukous

@janzin

I'd been meaning to have another look at this photo, the trouble I'm afraid with this game is that there just aren't enough people playing, there aren't enough serious birders who are regular members here and not all of those who are here play the game or then like @offshorebirder don't have photos to post, I still have photos to post, but if there are only really three or four of us, I slightly wonder what the point is, I often think I don't want to always be the one to go for it, but then I know if I don't it's likely no one else will. In this case I didn't have a good idea straight away, so decided to see if anyone else would jump in, but as I feared would happen no one did, If I did not straight away and got it, then I fear if I don't post an easy one like my last shot was, no one will go for it. 

10 hours ago, janzin said:

I have given up on the "where was this photo taken" game as the entries got too ridiculously obscure and difficult (photos of grass??)  :rolleyes:

That I take it might be a reference to my last photo, my strategy with that game has evolved into posting a really hard obscure shot and then adding less obscure photos later as further clues, so it's no longer about a single photo as this game usually is, other wise if you start with something that's not obscure, the first one of the more determined players will have the answer immediately, before anyone else has even seen the photo, as soon as I posted a shot of identifiable wildlife, that ended my round, hence I'm afraid in that game from now on I will always start with something obscure. That's slightly the trouble with this game,  you have to post difficult birds, otherwise, one of us regulars will give the answer straight away, (as I demonstrated with those francolins) but then that makes it too hard, for those who aren't such experience birders or who haven't travelled enough to have lots of different books, this makes it hard to attract more players. I don't know what the answer is, I switched to the other game because this game had become too slow.

There are some birds I'm not always great with and as I demonstrated with that pipit it's largely LBJs, so I'm not sure what this bird is and I haven't given it a huge amount of thought, but I'll take a guess and say flappet lark and probably be completely wrong.:lol:        

Edited by inyathi
Soukous
10 hours ago, inyathi said:

I'll take a guess and say flappet lark and probably be completely wrong

you're correct, you are wrong :P not a FLAPPET lark

Galana

I was lured here by  the call of a Siren and like all Siren calls I may end up on the rocks as they are hard to resist.

But may I offer a Clapper Lark? I was gong for Eastern Clapper but maybe Cape fits sightly better IF indeed it is a Clapper at all.

I find @inyathi's comments about another game of great interest. In short it has become a bit like Barnier's 'Level playing field'.

Dave Williams

If the grass was obscure it has nothing on the sky in this one! Consequently I haven't a clue where it is or what species the bird is and before I reach for a guide book I'll wait and see if the maestro has it nailed!!

Soukous
18 hours ago, Galana said:

I was lured here by  the call of a Siren and like all Siren calls I may end up on the rocks as they are hard to resist.

But may I offer a Clapper Lark? I was gong for Eastern Clapper but maybe Cape fits sightly better IF indeed it is a Clapper at all.

I find @inyathi's comments about another game of great interest. In short it has become a bit like Barnier's 'Level playing field'.

15 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

before I reach for a guide book I'll wait and see if the maestro has it nailed!!

It is indeed a Cape Clapper Lark. I had hoped the in-flight pose would be helpful but it seems I was wrong. 

All it took was for Fred to cast his eyes to this game and a result was assured. 

janzin
29 minutes ago, Soukous said:

All it took was for Fred to cast his eyes to this game and a result was assured. 

Blame me, I sent him a message and told him we needed him over here in the bird game! :D  (Wait, did he just call me a siren?) :o

Edited by janzin
Galana
2 hours ago, janzin said:

(Wait, did he just call me a siren?)

Indeed I did. And I am now on the Avian rocks.:rolleyes:

But dear lady take heart. Sirens take many forms and I don't think you are one of the Malevolent sub species.

Sirens were believed to look like a combination of women and birds in various different forms. In early Greek art, they were represented as birds with large women's heads, bird feathers and scaly feet. Later, they were represented as female figures with the legs of birds, with or without wings, playing a variety of musical instruments, especially harps and lyres.

The seventh-century Anglo-Latin catalogue Liber Monstrorum says that Sirens were women from their heads to their navels, and instead of legs they had fish tails.[7] The tenth-century Byzantine encyclopedia Suda says that from their chests up, Sirens had the form of sparrows, and below they were women or, alternatively, that they were little birds with women's faces.[8]

By the Middle Ages, the figure of the Siren had transformed into the enduring mermaid figure.[9]

Originally, Sirens were shown to be male or female, but the male Siren disappeared from art around the fifth century BC.[10]

The first-century Roman historian Pliny the Elder discounted Sirens as a pure fable, "although Dinon, the father of Clearchus, a celebrated writer, asserts that they exist in India, and that they charm men by their song, and, having first lulled them to sleep, tear them to pieces."[11] In his notebooks, Leonardo da Vinci wrote, "The siren sings so sweetly that she lulls the mariners to sleep; then she climbs upon the ships and kills the sleeping mariners."

Choose one.

2002964887_images1.jpg.567d3023cb1868b8a70bf59ac95388ff.jpg

Here is a sketch of you in Devil's Pool Zambia. I did not know they allowed Lyres. The Argo is artistic licence.

images-1.jpg.ce8433d954b0a70a6d30099877aa188f.jpg

More my style..And family friendly.

Now somebody better tell me the rules here. Is  the idea just to test player's knowledge or deceive?  Is my collection of EBCs to be of value? I read page one and that seemed straight forward enough but as I read on there is mention of all sorts of electronic gizmos and aids available on the interwebby thing. I am low tech and in my book  Appiness is a state of mind not a burning desire for something one bolts on to an updated electronic typewriter. And nobody has ever supplied the correct size of Spanner (that's Wrench to our Yanqui cousins.)

So while I go and rootle through my folders for some thing Google and ebird proof talk among yourselves.

Nearly forgot. I better go and keep Poirot quiet on that other page. Or should I play "Longitudinal Lottery" and  wait until he has gone to bed?:P

Edited by Galana
Additional updated comment.
BRACQUENE

@Galana

i was just thinking that the popularity of my favorite game dropped considerably in favor of this one 😉but now I see the new strategy : let ‘s wait until 10 and play it during the night !🤨

Dave Williams

Again, if you thought grass was difficult to place wait until you see Fred's EBC's ( we presumably know that it stands for "every bird counts"as in towards his annual total in the Big Year Photo competition).

Fred's EBC's are masterpieces in deception, some are so wonderfully blurred you have to take his word for it that it wasn't a dust spot on his camera sensor rather than the bird he purports to having seen. I have no doubt he'll prefer to tease us with those rather than some of the rather good images he's been taking recently!! 

Galana
48 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

rather than the bird he purports to having seen

Oh sir! How could you.

Still waiting for guidance so after dining I will post something. Who knows, it may be a quick and merciful release?

It should catch @BRACQUENE before beddybyes!:P

Edited by Galana
amended text.
Galana

I have dined and I am mellow enough to start this off.

First to illustrate

2 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

Fred's EBC's are masterpieces in deception,

are not deception but accurate depictions of birds seen (if a little lacking in quality)

No need to try these as they are 'for illustrative purposes only' as fair warning.:o

1116425968_1-Ecuador768.jpg.ede9f00ba043361b3c5ebf2f5a760263.jpg

Topaza pyra. The illusive Fiery Topaz.

And

1-1-DSCN1263.JPG.0d8bb72a111e209fa4ed6655862c5a9a.JPG

Caprimulgus tristigma. Freckled Nightjar. Fact Pete in photo called it and he is never wrong.

So here is my first humble offering:-

1-2007_1006Tz2008b0029.JPG.27ca1fce75a01d0a6dada8ad43022195.JPG

It should not be too difficult so should I ask for race and gender too in these woke times?

offshorebirder
10 hours ago, Soukous said:

Just so.

offshorebirder
7 hours ago, Galana said:

I am now on the Avian rocks

Scylla's rocks with Charybdis swirling nearby.

* In terms of rules, an unwritten one of the Name That Bird game is to try and post at least decent quality photos.  We can all post blurry or tiny shots, or a quarter inch of a bird in the grass - but where's the fun in that?  At one point this game veered perilously close to that but thankfully we are back on an even keel lately.