GAME: name that bird!

Jochen

Dave Williams

That's VERY specific and too specific for me. First winter? Really!!!! 

but you are correct!!

Well done.

bugger, now i have to find a suitable bird.. 

33 minutes ago, kittykat23uk said:

bugger, now i have to find a suitable bird.. 

Ha ha.:lol: Serves you right Jo.

I actually looked at that and then saw the distribution chart and thought 'nah' The tortoise would never make it back from the Urals.

the trouble is if I use any from Uganda it will be too easy... :P

Dave Williams
13 minutes ago, Galana said:

Ha ha.:lol: Serves you right Jo.

I actually looked at that and then saw the distribution chart and thought 'nah' The tortoise would never make it back from the Urals.

I gave too big a clue Fred. If you google rare warbler Great Orme the answer is there! 

My reasoning was that you wouldn't do that but fall for the distribution map trap.

It worked!!!:P

2 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

I gave too big a clue Fred. If you google rare warbler Great Orme the answer is there! 

My reasoning was that you wouldn't do that but fall for the distribution map trap.

It worked!!!:P

yup, google is your friend... :lol::P 

Hopefully I haven't posted this one before.

mystery bird.jpg

You did very well to get it to pose without showing the shoulder colours.

Sometimes split into two species so lets just say Euplectes macrourus?

Not a Euplectes macroura (Yellow-shouldered Widowbird) @Galana

Dave Williams

What about a Red-shouldered Blackbird?

Well how about Euplectes concolor? the so called Black Widowbird variant to Redshouldered..

4 hours ago, inyathi said:

@kittykat23uk I'm not certain but how about chopi blackbird?

You got it @inyathi 😁 well I couldn't make it too easy for @Galanaby picking an  African bird.. 

@kittykat23uk Thanks, I sympathise with now having the extra challenge of trying to find African birds that @Galana won't recognise straight away, I sometimes feel a bit the same about @janzin and Neotropical birds, but in Jan's case you just have to make sure you post your shot whilst she's asleep. :lol:

As soon as I saw your bird, I thought that's got to be a South American bird and chopi blackbird came to mind having seen lots of them in Brazil myself, I thought given your travels there, that's got to be it, checking a book confirmed it was likely correct. 

As the site still seems to be undergoing an update, I might hold off posting the next shot until the morning, besides I haven't picked out the next shot yet.  

Fair enough, once you figured out it was South American, it basically had to be from Brazil, being that is the only country that I have visited in the continent. 

6 hours ago, inyathi said:

I sometimes feel a bit the same about @janzin and Neotropical birds, but in Jan's case you just have to make sure you post your shot whilst she's asleep. :lol:

Well I wasn't asleep but I was out all day on a whale watch, so you got lucky :)

3 hours ago, janzin said:

Well I wasn't asleep but I was out all day on a whale watch, so you got lucky :)

Well I would say it was you that was the lucky one. Out on the Ocean looking at Whales while many of us are stuck at home in front of a pesky screen being forced to look at obscure images of black birds with black bills hiding in a black bush.:wub:

And all this time @Game Wardenis messing with our eyes.:lol:

Okay, how about this one.

Tanz394.jpg.03ac46da7886cde030104998ebb479b0.jpg

Edited by inyathi

short-toed Rock Thrush ??

2 minutes ago, inyathi said:

@Soukous Good answer, but no.

shame, but I'm a bit relieved actually as I have nothing to post

Miombo Rock Thrush

1 minute ago, Soukous said:

I have nothing to post

@Soukous That doesn't matter, just post something really easy and hand it on to whoever jumps in first. 

Well unless we are being given a massive double bluff one place we need not look is India.:o

Other wise I might have been tempted to suggest cousin Brian's Redstart except it should be greyer not 'blue'.