South Luangwa Photographic Trip Report

BonitaApplebum

On 12/29/2019 at 11:21 PM, BonitaApplebum said:

This is one of those "story" photos. It will always remind me of perhaps the most intense one hour of safari I have every experienced. As dusk set upon us, we came across a pack of wild dogs. Shortly after we found them they moved on into the bush where we could not follow. We worked our way around, our guide anticipating where they would emerge. As we got there, we came across two lionesses, walking in the same direction. Our guide accurately predicted that they were going to happen upon those same dogs should the appear where we thought they would, and sure enough, that's exactly what happened. The lions spotted the dogs first, and by the time the dogs noticed, it was too late. They alarmed and scattered, but the closest lion was immediately on one of the pups and scooped it up swiftly. We chased and I managed a couple of grainy photos of the action. The chaos was quickly over and the lioness sat with a dead pup in her jaws, which she soon left in a heap and moved on. The dogs were incredibly stressed, as were we!  It was a solemn moment, and as dark was now falling, we started our way back towards camp. 30 minutes later we spotted the leopard above and within minutes she was on top of this kill. It all happened so fast and this was the only photo I could manage. Suddenly, she lifted the kill and sprinted towards a tree just as a hyena came into view in hot pursuit. I thought she was safe as she lept into the tree, but the hyena managed to grab her by the tail and haul her to the ground where the two skirmished for a few moments. The leopard then scattered and the hyena was left with the prize. This lasted all of 30 seconds before those same two lionesses descended on the hyena and quickly stole the kill! The animals did all the work but I think I was the one short of breath.

Wow! That really was an intense hour of safari indeed! What an incredible action was going on! Sad how it ended for the wild dog pup though. But all in all, so many interactions between predators/scavengers, that must have been really exciting!

Your photos are stunning! Enjoyed them all, but the lion in the leaves underneath some ebony trees is probably my favourite. The colors are beautiful, as is the look on her face. The setting reminds me of forests in fall here in the Netherlands, that makes it even more interesting there's a lion resting in those leaves.

*** Spoiler alert for an upcoming TR: I was in SL just a few days after you left, albeit in other camps. No wild dog were to be found the days I was there. Glad you had good sightings of them!

On 12/30/2019 at 5:48 PM, TonyQ said:

Superb photos all round, but I particularly like theHyena backlit by the torch!

Oh yes, that is a great picture as well. May be I go for that one as my favourite.

Or wait, may be..... ;) 

There are so many good photos to choose from!

Exceptional photographs. Thanks for sharing. The Dog pup/lion episode was very poignant indeed.

• 5 weeks later...

Fantastic pics!  The inter-species interactions are so special and you had multiple encounters like that---very jealous! :D

• 2 months later...

incredible sightings and amazing photografic skills. Chapeau l'artiste!!!

Wonderful photos of some wonderful wildlife experiences. Thanks for sharing @BonitaApplebum

Wild Eye run some great trips, although they can be a bit expensive at times.