1157753835_RedKite-1.jpg.ad56979c09651c02922c9bba37ae6b0c.jpg

Stokenchurch, Buckinghamshire        14.06.20

1832010179_RedKite-2.jpg.89ca20f6f2c8efbf671def84bcb6888b.jpg

288120689_RedKite-3.jpg.bcb9fcd51f9557cd5c52db2fc643a291.jpg

1459107495_RedKite-4.jpg.bce9e97ee47589741e71d2673076ed9b.jpg

Stokenchurch is a reliable place to see Red Kites - my photos from the two previous years have been taken there. It is a village near Junction 5 on the M40. Sometimes we stop off on our way to Heathrow. When we went past in February the weather was very bad so we didn't stop. So we made a special trip (just over an hour's drive). Just wandering around the village, lots of Kites are visible circling above, and sometimes they come quite low.

A woman from the village saw us taking photos and said  "Just sit on one of the benches and the Kites will  fly over".

53 minutes ago, TonyQ said:

A woman from the village saw us taking photos and said  "Just sit on one of the benches and the Kites will  fly over"

There are so many of them there. I remember the first time I saw them it was like the Black Kites that swarm over rubbish tips in India. And to think they were endangered no so long ago.

Super photos of the Red Kites. Not so excited about the Feral Pigeon. You didn't even try to sneak it in as a Rock Dove. :ph34r:

I have photos of one as well; if my BY drought continues it may have to be uploaded.

Great photos of the Red Kite, @TonyQ ! A village to remember for future days.

5 hours ago, Soukous said:

Not so excited about the Feral Pigeon. You didn't even try to sneak it in as a Rock Dove. 

No. He is saving the thoroughbred for its rightful place and another tick as should we all.

Great shots of Red Kites. Well worth a special side trip.

Beautiful Red KIte pictures, Tony.

michael-ibk

Very cool Kite shots!

Just catching up - hedgehogs and drama in the garden, fabulous

awesome shots of the kite.

love the hedgehogs too and such drama in your garden!

Edited by Kitsafari

Dave Williams

You have hit a new standard of dredging the barrel Tony. Feral Pigeon, not once but a claim to fame on two lists!! You also are responsible for dragging down @Soukous to lower his standards too. There are other BY participants who simply don't have standards so at least you can say they got there first:D:wacko:

1 hour ago, Dave Williams said:

There are other BY participants who simply don't have standards

Start and worry when 'they' try and introduce different 'breeds' such as Blue Chequer, Old German Cropper and Oriental Roller.

@Dave Williams  I do have standards - they are just lower than yours:D

Although I have the Feral Pigeon in 2 lists (Malaysia and UK), it is only counted once in the BY

If (unlikely) I see a Rock Dove during the year, I would not count it, as it is the same species as the Feral Pigeon (I don't count sub-species)

I don't understand the dislike of Feral Pigeons - we humans tend not to like the creatures who thrive in the mess that we make. Taken prisoner, bred for our amusement, escape to freedom and live their life as Pigeons. How dare they..... ;)

5 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

Feral Pigeon, not once but a claim to fame on two lists!! You also are responsible for dragging down @Soukous to lower his standards too.

Come @Dave Williams, you can't hold @TonyQ responsible. I'd have posted it eventually anyway, even though I didn't take any pleasure in doing so. Needs must, as they say.

That is the difference @Soukous  - I took great pleasure in posting mine!

4 hours ago, TonyQ said:

@Dave Williams  I do have standards - they are just lower than yours

Mine are lower still. If I had seen, as I would have done if my Hebridean trip had happened, a genuine Rock Dove I would have had no scruples about using both. :)

To my limited scientific mind there is a world of difference between a beautiful wild dove of the sea cliffs and  the mangy flying rat of the town centres of UK. "C.l. "Domesticus" Pah I would not even allow it in the house but I will tick it.:P

Quiet at the moment, so time for some babies!

First garden visitors (all taken through the closed window)

1862413471_Starlingb-1.jpg.8771409b88c0d5efdcb088c25a10a4de.jpg

Juvenile Starling, brought by adults

Then a bit cuter

475020935_Long-tailedTitb-2.jpg.5e83f201ad02844e9d1ca02d9b8b0a28.jpg

Baby Long-tailed Tit on top of feeder

342814375_Long-tailedTitb-1.jpg.db5f3ae58dac29528c124ee4282242cb.jpg

Begging for food from adult

1682223140_Long-tailedTitb-3.jpg.724b3bd877bd23c181f75f3155568941.jpg

Learning how to feed itself

792524624_Long-tailedTitb-4.jpg.f702dd3f434d190abe69563677b1ed32.jpg

Just a few days later visiting the feeder itself and confidently feeding - they develop fast.

I think this is the first time that Long-tailed Tits have brought their babies to feed in the garden. The adults are regular visitors

And from a local park

1723524427_GreatCrestedGrebeb-2.jpg.bced40fafeb242c36d5eb271803e5fb5.jpg

Great Crested Grebe family - always a joy to see their babies

1491701495_GreatCrestedGrebeb-1.jpg.00095dd23814ebbf6706f371e294f54d.jpg

748686877_GreatCrestedGrebeb-3.jpg.e58b7a19ec741c1a99b4473291e9b971.jpg

And a real pleasure to see babies being fed

From the same park, there were an amazing number of Coot chicks

44699708_Cootb-1.jpg.e73e2a514902654920faff550910c45d.jpg

2143054821_Cootb-2.jpg.19124661c55562c2997396ff81163ccd.jpg

Peter Connan

Lovely moment with the Grebes!

Top marks in the cute stakes for the LTT.

And of course the Grebe chicks always score well with their striped pyjamas.

I'm interested that you are still putting food out for the birds in Summer @TonyQ 

I have been told not to as there is plenty of food for them to forage and it is not good for them to build a dependency on feeders. Is there a right & wrong on this?

GC Grebe chicks are very adorable, nice to catch the feeding.  We also had a family of Long-tailed tits feeding in the garden yesterday, still got to check the pictures.

6 minutes ago, Soukous said:

I'm interested that you are still putting food out for the birds in Summer @TonyQ 

I have been told not to as there is plenty of food for them to forage and it is not good for them to build a dependency on feeders. Is there a right & wrong on this?

We have always fed the birds throughout the year.  Sunflower seeds in particular are very popular at this time and also raisins for the blackbirds and starlings.  RSPB says it is ok to feed year round, but to be careful with peanuts when the young are being fed.

https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/advice/how-you-can-help-birds/feeding-birds/when-to-feed-garden-birds/

Adorable Lomg-tailed Tits!

We provide sunflower hearts and suet blocks throughout the year. We think that food at this time of year helps with bringing up chicks in a big city.

Right or wrong I do not know