Michael´s Fifth Year

michael-ibk

13/E13.) Mute Swan (Cygnus olor) / Höckerschwan

Chiemsee/Germany, 6/1. Common but still quite a spectacular bird IMO. Originally a Northern European bird but introduced all over the Continent long ago. A well-known bird even in historic times (just think of Zeus who took its form to seduce Leda), "Cygnus" is Greek, "Olor" is Latin - both mean "Swan".

Irschener Winkel_25_Höckerschwan.JPG

Edited by michael-ibk

5 minutes ago, TonyQ said:

Is the German. Gänsesäger similar to our traditional name of Goosander

"Gänse" is the plural of Gans (=Goose), "Säger" is "one who saws". What´s the meaning of the "ander" part of the English name?

14/E14.) Black-Headed Gull (Larus ridibundis) / Lachmöwe

Chiemsee/Germany, 6/1. Missing the black head in Winter. "Larus" is Greek for Gull, "ridibundis" is laughing - the German name is therefore a straight translation from the Scientific one. Very confiding birds, and good objects to practice BIFs.

1067784727_Autobahn_24_Lachmwe.JPG.872c0e5c2d1fb2b97752b45397beed99.JPG

1191682478_Autobahn_26_Lachmwe.JPG.dc5337a00d1427b6de2e07b70b34b2fc.JPG

320793103_IrschenerWinkel_52_Lachmwe.JPG.acd4aa36f812397787d09cadd0d1d53a.JPG

15/E15.) Mistle Thrush (Turdus viscivorus) / Misteldrossel

Chiemsee/Germany, 6/1. One of my bogey birds, so happy to get a semi-decent picture so early in the year. Only one subspecies all over Europe (for once). In case you´re wondering why I am not doing this subspecies stuff with all birds - my new books only cover passerines. "Turdus" is Latin for Thrush, "Viscivorus" is "Mistle-Eating".

Feldwieser Bucht_34_Misteldrossel.JPG

16/E16.) Yellow-Legged Gull (Larus michahellis) / Mittelmeermöwe

Chiemsee/Germany, 6/1. Our default species of the larger Gulls. "Michahellis" is honouring the German Zoologist Karl M. A relatively young species, long treated as a subspecies of Herring and then Caspian Gull.

Autobahn_1_Mittelmeermöwe.JPG

Autobahn_14_Mittelmeermöwe.JPG

Edited by michael-ibk

Ander.  No real idea:D

Some sources say from “gander” a male goose

Some from “bergander” old name for “sheldrake “ which is an old name for “shelduck”

English is made up of words from many different languages!

17/E17.) Ferrugineous Duck (Aythya nyroca) / Moorente

Chiemsee/Germany, 6/1. A surprise sighting - this species is common in Eastern Europe but very, very rare further West. The first time I have seen them around Chiemsee, and certainly my best sighting so far of this species, they normally are much more furtive. (Which is why I´m even wondering if they might be escapees, but then again F. Ducks are rare but regular guests in the area so I will count them.) "Aythia" is a name Aristoteles used for some waterfowl. "Nyroca" is neither Latin nor Greek for a change - it´s Russian for Diving Duck. This bird was first described by Russian ornithologist Güldenstadt who thereby referred to a population in Southern Russia.

Hirschau_12_Moorente.JPG

Hirschau_25_Moorente.JPG

Hirschau_37_Moorente.JPG

Edited by michael-ibk

4 minutes ago, TonyQ said:

Some sources say from “gander” a male goose

Interesting - "Ganter" is an (old) German word meaning the same.

18/E18.) Marsh Harrier (Circus aeruginosus) / Rohrweihe

Chiemsee/Germany, 6/1. A common bird in Seewinkel but a much rarer sighting here in the West. A female here (easy to tell by the white head). "Circus" is the Greek name for Harriers. I can only assume that name was referencing their flight mode, "circling" the skies. "Aeruginosus" means something like a coppery colour (which makes much more sense with the more attractively plumaged males).

Hirschau_4_Rohrweihe.JPG

19/E19.) Common Goldeneye (Bucephala clangula) / Schellente

Chiemsee/Germany, 6/1. One of our most attractive Ducks IMO. "Bucephala" is not the most flattering term, it´s Greek and means "Oxhead", referencing their pretty big heads. "Clangula" stems from "Clangor" (Sound, Clamor).

930996284_IrschenerWinkel_20_Schellente.JPG.dcfe225d8ff85e323644ad39aaabac1c.JPG

1957251320_IrschenerWinkel_32_Schellente.JPG.3b69b29ebe3e21e3ab84f7487cf2013f.JPG

Interestingly they would always stick very close to a Swan, always diving and emerging by his side.

1978466594_IrschenerWinkel_9_Hckerschwan.JPG.d161721a16cfa256d277f13b598b2f93.JPG

20/E20.) Gadwall (Anas strepera) / Schnatterente

Chiemsee/Germany, 6/1. "Anas" is simply the Latin name for Duck, "strepera" is something like "noisy". Said to have a very distinctive call but I can´t remember ever hearing them vocalize.

137027937_FeldwieserBucht_12_Schnatterente.JPG.8627de2ebccf5b18ed36dc5f5dbfe91a.JPG

Edited by michael-ibk

21/E21.) Great Egret (Casmerodius albus) / Silberreiher

Chiemsee/Germany, 6/1. Wintering on the lake, they are much more common here in the cold season. The genus name means "Heron of Kadmos", the Greek word "erodiós" is the source for "Heron". Kadmos was a Thebean king in Greek mythology turned into a snake. Probably the name is alluding to the long, snake-like neck.

Hirschau_6_Silberreiher.JPG.9fca0363d831c7535dd306ee1b808d42.JPG

22/E22.) Caspian Gull (Larus cachinnans) / Steppenmöwe

Chiemsee/Germany, 6/1. A rare bird in Middle Europe, at home much further East normally. But then again, who knows how common they really are here since very few people can tell them apart from Yellow-Legged Gulls in the field. This (pretty distant) bird seemed somehow different to me, and the posture (very erect, full breast, wings very low) is exactly like depicted in the Svensson (Collins) guide. And the expert birders on my Austrian FB group confirmed it´s a Caspian. "Cachinnans" means laughing loudly in Latin.

Irschener Winkel_88_Steppenmöwe.JPG

23/E23.) Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos) / Stockente

Chiemsee/Germany, 6/1. The Duck. Common they may be but still a very attractive species IMO, and very accommodating "models". The species name is Greek for something like "Broadbill".

1122974031_IrschenerWinkel_72_Stockente.JPG.f8c3476bbdbf1a4df6f3c3677770047d.JPG

1829159281_IrschenerWinkel_61_Stockente.JPG.841ea57a5472bec9d2880cb27252b5cb.JPG

1575189359_IrschenerWinkel_82_Stockente.JPG.f71401e4674e20034c5cbbd112840bc6.JPG

2019988191_IrschenerWinkel_99_Stockente.JPG.b9fb8056e1069b160e2fafa59a9e8d86.JPG

Autobahn_34_Stockente.JPG.f5cd814311411a7c38638253de363646.JPG

24/E24.) Common Gull (Larus canus) / Sturmmöwe

Chiemsee/Germany, 6/1. Not a common species at all in my area. "Canus" is grey, referencing the colour of the upperparts.

Autobahn_35_Sturmmöwe.JPG

25/E25.) Common Pochard (Aíthyia ferina) / Tafelente

Chiemsee/Germany, 6/1. Used to be heavily hunted because of their allegedly delicious meat. "Ferina" means "game meat" and is referencing that fact. So is the German name, "Tafel" in this context is the dinner table.

Seebruck_1_Tafelente.JPG.264bbf60942baa5378af45e509512c42.JPG

It was a really beautiful day yesterday with splendid weather. That early in the Big Year I felt a bit like a video game character - - shoot anything that moves. B)

Outstanding photography throughout, @michael-ibk! And some very good species already. You made good use of the locations and the weather.

beautiful light on the birds and you took full advantage of that, making even the gulls look extraordinary. Great BIFs!

fascinating information on each of the birds, not that my scatterbrain can remember but your BY can act as a encyclopedia. :)

Great pictures with beautiful colours, that sky could be ours B).

Hard to pick one but the Great Egret may be my favourite photo in this batch, the wing tip must be only a few millimeters from the water.

Edited by pedro maia

I am with @TonyQ and the Germans on the Goosander bit.

My limited Latin gives Anser as Goose as in the Grey Geese . Ergo Mergus Anser = Diving Goose.

But care needed as Mergus can also mean 'Urinator!"

I blame the darn yanquis again. Coming over 'ere and stealing our birds.:lol:

Coming in 5 hours after the discussion of course.

All said and done there are some lovely photos in this batch whatever they are called.

A nice move ahead.

Edited by Galana
Additional updated comment.

Lovely place, Chiemsee, and full of Ducks! Great Egret is flying lower than Top Gun :D. Congratulations on perfect photos, @michael-ibk.

A gorgeous set of birds so far, Michael.  The attached info is extremely interesting and well done for taking the time to include it.

My limited Latin gives Anser as Goose as in the Grey Geese . Ergo

Mergus Anser = Diving Duck

Just testing if you're paying attention @Galana

You passed. B)

Oh my Lord. Not only do we have the English name and the Latin name but now Sir Michael is giving us an explanation of the Latin name. 
Will you be keeping this up for the whole year Michael?