Michael´s Fifth Year

michael-ibk

image.png.00532d02ef38ef5a724a32857dd6981f.png@michael-ibk, are you sure you didn't sneak off to Austr(al)ia?  That shot could have been taken here, canola and eucalypts (not sure about the bird though). Seewinkel looks such a great spot to visit.  Oh the Wildflowers and Mountains make me yearn for Europe again. I stopped "liking", too much to like, but if I have to pick a favourite, the Bee-eaters are gorgeous.

• 4 weeks later...
michael-ibk

I wish @elefromoz - wish I could sneak off to anywhere actually, any Continent starting with an A would be fine. But I guess we all have that wish in common right now. :)

Finally a new addition from today:

414/E166.) Alpine Accentor (Prunella collaris) / Alpenbraunelle

Karwendel, 30/7. One of our high Alpine specialties.

TL8A8912.jpg.ab1ea9d95677f7b93ee66c35e545d495.jpg

TL8A8915.jpg.cbf19ddbcacc42370cb78071f13c2e13.jpg

Not enough DOF even with F9 for the second one - rarely go higher but this shows me sometimes I should.

Edited by michael-ibk

michael-ibk

And a duplicate since it´s a) a pretty tough bird to get in general and b) I´ve never seen a chick before.

Rock Ptarmigan

TL8A9023.jpg.b982db850dcf7d629677bb351508aec1.jpg

TL8A9033.jpg.ffeda5a9b74bbb2e4656c8f1a89b2719.jpg

Also saw a Wallcreeper(!) but you will only see that picture on Dec 31st, I will be too ashamed to post it before that date. A Redstart chased it away, never hated a Redstart so much before.

Edited by michael-ibk

Not a bad tally for a lockdown year so far :)

michael-ibk

Well, 250 of those are from pre-lockdown Tanzania - we were lucky that we still could do that. Which reminds me of someone´s unfinished TR business...:wacko:

Peter Connan
20 minutes ago, michael-ibk said:

but you will only see that picture on Dec 31st, I will be too ashamed to post it before that date. 

:lol::lol::lol:

Oops :blink: been caught out @michael-ibk.Will have to get on with it now.  :)

Edited by wilddog

michael-ibk

@wilddog Linda, I was actually talking about myself! :D

:lol: How funny! You kicked off my guilty conscience:ph34r: as well as your own.

michael-ibk

BTW, I have a new challenge for the next BY: No camera, only mobile allowed. 😂

IMG_20200730_192914.jpg

3 hours ago, michael-ibk said:

No camera, only mobile allowed. 😂

That's one I will have to pass on. I don't have one although I am quite mobile for my age they say!:o

Nearly forgot. Some decent captures there. Look forward to seeing the Wallcreeper.

Michael, I’m pretty sure your Wallcreeper doesn’t beat the Hawfinch I also too ashamed to post right now :lol:.

14 hours ago, michael-ibk said:

BTW, I have a new challenge for the next BY: No camera, only mobile allowed.

Sorry, not for me. I'm out. I use my phone for a lot of things (don't ask) but it is only as a very last resort that I use the camera.

• 2 weeks later...

415/E167.) Eurasian Griffon Vulture (Gyps fulvus) / Gänsegeier

Großglocknerstraße, 7/7/20. My first Austrian sighting of this impressive bird. We don´t have a breeding population but every year a few dozen from Croatia spend the summer in the "Hohe Tauern" mountains.

TL8A9140.JPG.f22dc8dc243fc55c7081000f6aa2161e.JPG

TL8A9166.JPG.0be8061648767563ed8935608f6c657a.JPG

At the same spot I also saw a Golden Eagle - too good a bird not to post a duplicate even though it was very distant:

TL8A9231.JPG.0f3481303bd4241f6ddfbce8acddf019.JPG

TL8A9287.JPG.279cddf46498ea1226342c46eaa8d874.JPG

Good hunting. Nice shot of the goldie in the 2nd photo despite the distance.

• 2 weeks later...

I am totally overwhelmed, @michael-ibk - so many species!! Gorgeous photos! What does "fifth year" means? Is it your fifth year in bird-photography or birding or your birding in Safaritalk? 

Many thanks @ElenaH - it´s the fifth year that I´m participating in the Big Year threads.:)

"If taking part, (purely for fun, although who knows, there might be a prize for the winner), these are the rules...

1. Start a new topic, the title of which will be your Safaritalk Display name.
  2. Upload one picture per species, include when and where taken and tech specs.
  3. Only upload images taken on or after 1st Jan, 2020.
  4. No cheating and delving into photo archives, if you saw a bird but couldn't get a photo, too bad...
  5. Species can be from around the world, not just Africa, so if you get pics of those birds which visit your garden, upload them too.
  6. Do encourage other members taking part in the Big Year: it's a friendly competition so there can be friendly rivalry, but most of all it's about getting out there and enjoying birdwatching."

@ElenaH These are the "rules". Not too taken too seriously, the most important rule is to go out birding and sharing that fun with a like-minded community here. :)

1 minute ago, michael-ibk said:

(purely for fun, although who knows, there might be a prize for the winner

Don't hold your breath. The competition has been going for 7 years and no prizes have yet been seen. :(

thank you, @michael-ibk, I think I need to find your first year and have a look how one can progress in birding ;-)

3 hours ago, Soukous said:

no prizes have yet been seen. 

Now you don't know that for sure. I got a lovely case of Portugese Wine from Matt @Game Warden when I won.:lol:

Rules? Isn't the big year somewhat organic in its development?

Dinner with me for the winner, and any STers who might be in the vicinity, i.e., @pedro maia when covid is done and dusted...

I can also maybe ship a pack of Safaritalk biltong as well as the wine.

You all make the Big Year come alive.

Matt

@michael-ibk, you've really torn it now, Griffon and Golden Eagle soaring in Europes mountains :(

• 2 weeks later...

416/E168.) European Honey Buzzard (Pernis apivorus) / Wespenbussard

Imsterberg, Tirol, 27.8.. While this bird is supposedly breeding in my area I´ve never seen it here - its secretive lifestyle makes it difficult to observe. They are much easier on migration and so I made a deliberate effort to get some from up here with an experienced birding friend:

IMG_20200827_172135.jpg.e4ef75dfbf20f3d813e454714eacada1.jpg

Problem is, while the view is great, and while we did count 17 Honey Buzzards, most of them were passing through far, far away, and mostly it was pretty difficult to even safely separate them from the migrating Common Buzzards.

But one juvenile had mercy on us - I guess it actually first chose the wrong valley, realized its mistake and then passed over us relatively close.

Venet_40_Wespenbussard.JPG.3f82e16023d30ef67139cf42d4e78f61.JPG

While this young one is still missing some distinguishing features (like the barred tail) of an adult the long, more rounded tail is one of the key aspects to separate them from a Buzzard - compare with a (probably second-year) resident individual  here:

847811743_Venet_44_Musebussard.JPG.8e95d52a4b9f7a1d09554ceee8c2cfe7.JPG

Edited by michael-ibk