Michael´s Fifth Year

michael-ibk

-/E189.) Common Sandpiper (Actitis hypoleucos) / Flussuferläufer

Gaisau, Tirol, 4/5. Already photographed in Tanzania this year which is why I probably more or less forgot about this one - the only regularly (albeit scarcely) breeding wader in my area.

910768651_Gaisau_146_Flussuferlufer-3.jpg.957bdfa766cca5f25914370942867a8c.jpg

434/E190.) Common Swift (Apus apus) / Mauersegler

Salfeins, Tirol, 12/7. A very common bird in summer (though they leave early) but one you have to make an effort for a good photo. Clearly I did not. Every year I think I will just take the camera to the office and shoot them early in the mourning from 12th floor there. Every year I forget to do that.:)

Salfeins_5_Mauersegler.jpg.0967f9d2d768cbd142d311c6be1e3cdb.jpg

-/191.) Barn Swallow (Hirundo rustica) / Rauchschwalbe

Gaisau, Tirol, 13/4. Already seen in Tanzania. Forgot about them, our most numerous bird in summer.

Gaisau_21_Rauchschwalbe.jpg.d53ffc65bd12e5452e09aff32a9e6df8.jpg

435/E192.) Sardinian Warbler (Curruca melanocephala) / Samtkopf-Grasmücke

Commachio, Italy, 22/8. An ebc I´m quite proud of, I hope you appreciate it. Since I had been hopeful to do a Portugal trip in October I´ve held this photo back but that´s not gonna happen. So time to proudly present this artsy masterpiece.

655871252_PoDelta_31_Samtkopf-Grasmcke.JPG.5493c15ec5e004b809f73a175d31aa0a.JPG

Edited by michael-ibk

436/E193.) Pied Flycatcher (Ficeduly hypoleuca) / Trauerschnäpper

Arzl, Tirol, 14/4. Moving through in good numbers in migration but no (or very few) breeding birds in my area.

850489736_ArzlerKalvarienberg_001_Trauerschnpper.JPG.89495d4397135b79e81499d41c4d5851.JPG

437/E194.) Spotted Crake (Porzana porzana) / Tüpfelsumpfhuhn

Chiemsee, Germany, 11/8. Always an exciting bird to see. I could still kick myself for this one. Saw two birds nicely in the open on the (mostly submerged) path. Thought Starling (for whatever reason) and did not pay them much attention. Only when I got closer I realized what it was but by then they were already retreating of course.

329944102_Tpfelsumpfhuhn_3.JPG.1222e1096821394cfe26539f2ff80a7f.JPG

Edited by michael-ibk

438/E194.) Bank Swallow (Riparia riparia) / Uferschwalbe

Gaisau, Tirol, 4/5. The only one I saw this year. We don´t have them here in West Austria, the only chance to get one is during migration. Sometimes one or two get lost and join Barn Swallows or House Martins.

Gaisau_5_Uferschwalbe.jpg.31c6e3e581d3c2e0572d3b825f2fbee3.jpg

439/E195.) Meadow Pipit (Anthus pratensis) / Wiesenpieper

Söller Wiesen, Tirol, 15/4. Another common enough bird in many areas which avoids Western Austria. My only one this year.

1646723466_SllerWiesen_021_Wiesenpieper.JPG.05458e0f15aee358f1de6c75ab40e356.JPG

Ebc parade over for now but I still have a few very nice resident ebcs waiting to come out at the end of the year! :)

Some nice additions (and a few ebcs!)

I didn’t know the Bank Swallow was the same species as the UK Sand Martin. Education for the day for me.

Fingers crossed for your upcoming trip

Full marks for the Sardinian Warbler. Definitely the EBC for you. If you do by chance find a better Sardinian then you could use this specimen for anything else you choose. We would never know.:P

Bank Swallow? Hmmm.  Ok. Allowed as in German it is Uferschwalbe.:lol:

Always good to have a "joker bird". :) But you can at least see a white chin and a black head - and if you stare at it very concentratedly you can maybe imagine to see some red around the eyes.B)

wah such a brilliant EBC - I never thought you were ever capable of an EBC!

well, i'm going to stick my neck out and predict you're going to take the title of the top BY 2020 - once you leave on Friday. :)  

On 9/27/2020 at 7:31 PM, michael-ibk said:

you can maybe imagine to see some red around the eyes

I thought that was the booze.

Have a great ( and above all safe) trip to Zambia, Michael and I look forward to hearing and seeing what you encounter over there. You'll be a very welcome guest, I imagine. From our country Zambia is still off-limits. Only necessary travel and 10 days of quarantine on returning. Go for it!

Thanks Peter! Actually it's on the "only necessary travel" list as well here. But every country is on that list (or classified as more dangerous) in Austria which works to our favor. That's risk 4 by our insurance standards, and travel advisory consequences only kick in at 5. It was also specified that traveling to a "4" country would be acceptable by labour law standards. Quarantine is mandatory for us too but we can end it with a negative test. Getting that at the airport right after return, and if all goes well we should have the result when we arrive at home. That's the plan at least. 🙂

Edited by michael-ibk

I don't think any country can actually prevent its citizens from leaving. We have been free to travel all year and still are.

It's getting back home when the trouble starts.:o "We" actually need a permit to come home but that is not the case in most countries. But that is not the real problem. Neither is Zambia itself.

What prevents me is the thought of sharing space in airports and planes with total strangers who may or may not be infected or complying with recommended protection protocols.

Have a good trip @michael-ibkand @Zim Girland party and come back safe with an extra 300 birds for your year.

4 hours ago, Galana said:

I don't think any country can actually prevent its citizens from leaving. 

Actually yes they can. Australian citizens are currently not legally permitted to leave Australia without an exemption, and exemptions are not given lightly and only under strict criteria (well unless you are an Australian cricketer, they were let out without meeting the criteria). 

Could be. Dare I say Australia has always been hard to leave for one reason or another!;)

12 hours ago, Galana said:

Have a good trip @michael-ibkand @Zim Girland party and come back safe with an extra 300 birds for your year.

Thank you@Galana

We are checked in and ready to go tomorrow.  Don't know about 300 birds but I will do my best to keep up with Michael.

3 hours ago, Zim Girl said:

Don't know about 300 birds but I will do my best

Maybe an ambitious target. But why not? Have a good one.

17 hours ago, Galana said:

Could be. Dare I say Australia has always been hard to leave for one reason or another!;)

😂😂😂

16 hours ago, Galana said:

Maybe an ambitious target. But why not? Have a good one.

I´ll promise to make an effort but 300 will be a Mission Impossible since I´ve already had 250 relatively close by in Southern Tanzania. Most species do overlap, so my target is actually 50 new ones, and that already seems ambitious to me.B)

Too late maybe as you have possibly left for the airport.

The overlap is noted so maybe 100. It is surprising what turns up if your guide knows where to look. I shocked my own guide in December when I suggested we went to find Allen's Gallinule and drove him straight to it after an absence of 10 years. He never knew! 

West of Big Boabab in S Luangwa if you get this in time.

Good advice Fred, thanks. Will try to shock the guide as well, let's see how he reacts. ;-) Which area is that? At Vienna airport right now. Pretty quiet but not as post-apocalypticly empty as end of May.