Michael´s Fifth Year

michael-ibk

They are beautiful!

Agree on the plovers, beautiful!

Very nice pictures of the Plovers Michael, I think they are really pretty. 

And you could send some of your snow here, I love snow.

502/E199.) Hen Harrier (Circus cyaneus) / Kornweihe

Mils/Tirol, 19/12. A good bird to get here - while they are common in Austria´s East (only) in Winter they are very rare here in the Alps. This individual has been around for two weeks now, who knows, maybe it will spend the winter here. And become a bit more comfortable around people, it´s a dastardly shy bird.

Mils_48_Kornweihe.jpg.8b287c522cbf8e04554758c7562c2cf4.jpg

This area seems to have a lot of mice, so it´s popular with raptors. The Great Grey Shrike is also wintering here. I really wonder how many mice there are, the raptors and Herons are killing a lot!

Mils_73_Turmfalke.jpg.f766fa25407e5601e7d4b25393396e8d.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

@michael-ibk, very nice Zambia collection, I like the Racket Tailed Roller, don't think Ive seen one before. Its great the Raptors are finding plenty to eat. Very impressive numbers for this weirdest of years.

Michael I have loved your photos and trip reports this year, thank you. Hope to see more in 2021

Thanks, @elefromoz, @xelasand @shazdwn

A few brutal ebc-leftovers from this year:

503/E200.) Common Redpoll (Acanthis flammea) / Birkenzeisig

Always a scarce bird, only seen them twice this year.

Dobratsch_63_Birkenzeisig.jpg.990b02f0e8f5e289a03af3f3c9ded017.jpg

Dobratsch/Carinthia, 13/6.

504/E201.) Wallcreeper (Tichodroma muraria) / Mauerläufer

Karwendelgrube/Tirol, 30/7. One of the birding Holy Grails in Europe - the only one I found this year but it did not want to pose.

TL8A8828.jpg.c94349be1b82a3bcfc9b015b9045cd76.jpg

505/E202.) White-Winged Snowfinch (Montifringilla nivalis) / Schneesperling

Westfalenhaus/Tirol, 5/7. The only one this year. Or rather the only one when I had a camera around. Best chance to see them is when skiing (and I spotted a few in Winter) but cameras and ski don´t got together very well.

Westfalenhaus_1_Schneesperling.jpg.acb482ff4f84302abb867006c27d2fe5.jpg

506/E203.) White-Tailed Eagle

Seewinkel, 31/5. I had hoped to get one in Winter in either Seewinkel or Chiemsee in Germany but impossible to go to either.

Seewinkel_205_Seeadler.jpg.69621287daaa3a033c64cab7d90160ed.jpg

And a special sighting from a few days ago - already have it in the count (from the Po Delta in Italy) but they are such a rarity in Austria that it deserves a post - a Glossy Ibis showed up in Carinthia just before Christmas and stuck around for a few days. Attracted a lot of birders!

Klagenfurt_50.JPG.2522528d182cde4bcc4e2478655248bd.JPG

507/E204.) Cackling Goose (Branta hutchinsii) / Zwergkanadagans

Maria Elend/Carinthia, 26/12. Not sure if I should count it - this is an American bird and wild birds  almost never reach mainland Europe. Still, it was unringed, nobody knows where it came from - and it is a lifer. :)

2131504637_MariaElend_24_Zwergkanadagans.JPG.54364e818a8869fac8a6c8fdb53c8f23.JPG

Edit:

Ah, found another ebc just to make sure this is a legit number:

507a/E204a.) Black-Necked Grebe / Schwarzhalstaucher

Chiemsee/Germany, 11/1.

627534338_FeldwieserBucht_16_Schwarzhalstaucher.JPG.630d9610bc02f5f3373a355e6d616e5e.JPG

Edited by michael-ibk

508/E205.) European Penduline Tit (Remiz pendulinus ) / Beutelmeise

Maria Elend/Carinthia, 26/12. A very surprising bird - they are extremely rare in Austria and should supposedly long be farther South in Winter. But a flock of about 20 seems to have chosen Carinthia for their Winter destination, apparently they have been seen here on and off for almost a month.

1642975479_MariaElend_7_Beutelmeise.JPG.5648b8e0bc7be746008292f0de2c6456.JPG

1149169212_MariaElend_10_Beutelmeise.JPG.595ec02ac8386e0db92050abc34eca97.JPG

318423519_MariaElend_21_Beutelmeise.JPG.51b70cab5b9a7b5f9e2e5b8c23ac5b9e.JPG

A nice sighting to conclude the year! I do have a few more (Shoveller, Garganey, Short-Eared Owl amongst them), but they are even worse than the ebcs posted above.

A surprisingly good birding year for me. Found some really cool rarities for my country in spring during (our first) lockdown, and was lucky (or crazy) enough to go on two international trips. The only reason really why I came out on top this year - otherwise @xelasor @Galanaor others would easily have beaten me.

Let´s see how it goes next year - hopefully more normal for all of us!

1 hour ago, michael-ibk said:

Not sure if I should count it

Of course! I know I did :). Thank you, Michael for all your contributions this past year. A lot of local rarities and fabulous Zambia shots, I loved them all. Congratulations on an amazingly high number and I'm already looking forward to seeing more from you in 2021!

2 hours ago, michael-ibk said:

Not sure if I should count it

Of course you should. They are now occurring 'regularly' in British Isles s why not eventually further south.

Is not your Common Redpoll a Linnet?

Count it! Some lovely late additions to an excellent Big Year

On 1/2/2021 at 8:57 PM, Galana said:

Is not your Common Redpoll a Linnet?

That´s the trouble with ebcs, I thought a breeding male Linnet should not have stripes like that on the flanks, and a greyer head. But I´m not completely sure. What about this one? Even farther away though!:)

Westfalenhaus_10_Birkenzeisig.jpg.0cb29224f7062593b26ded0c092a999d.jpg

I agree on your Redpoll ID.

Hmm. I have doubts. The dark bill, full red breast and white edge to the tail all say 'cock linnet' to me.

But who knows?