Michael´s Fifth Year

michael-ibk

Great additions. Brown Eagles are really difficult!

I think you must try harder in the ebc competition- that really is a no hoper:D

13 hours ago, michael-ibk said:

strong contenders for the ebc of the year but this is a decent entry for the competion I think

Nah, not a hope.:(

Oh dear! @michael-ibk. It looks like you need to join one of my Masterclasses on EBC. Due to travel restrictions I have had to cancel for the rest of the year but if matters improve I can fit you in later. I do these as a group but if you would like private tuition my Chinese colleague Mr Won too Won is available. He recently won the prestigous "Golden Lens Cap" award for his "Moorhen on a moonless night!"

We do two distinct styles.

1-DSCN5662.JPG.edda866ae04361027bd125fd3d8893d6.JPG

Monet.  and

1-DSCN6638.JPG.0ba4d20f3e93c3b1cb21a9b847cd9888.JPG

Salvador Dali.

The tuition rates are the same for either.

Edited by Galana
Additional text.

Dave Williams

@Galana... that first one is brilliant!

Michael, are you in self imposed quarantine as a precaution or are you a confirmed case? Either way, hope you are back to normal asap. Meantime keep posting the photos, some crackers there.

Edited by Dave Williams

Peter Connan

Stunning photos and sightings again Michael! 

michael-ibk

@Galana Absolutely brilliant stuff, that´s why your are the master of all things ebc. I have some pretty good ones from the dark Udzungwa forests thoughg which could be acceptable.

@Dave Williams I am fine, thank you. As Alex said, all of Austria is under a curfew since last weekend, only allowed to go out for work, shopping and medical reasons. We were also allowed to go out for short walks, but only alone or with a person from the same household. I used that on Monday  - or was it Tuesday? - to go to one of my favourite places which is pretty empty.  I was delighted to find (interrupting the Tanzania stuff here) a

88/E44.) Green Sandpiper (Tringa Ochropus) / Waldwasserläufer

Gaisau, Tirol, 17/3/20. My first ever in Tirol. While we have some interesting Alpine specialties we are a birding wasteland for most other habitats, especially wetlands. This bird was found at the banks of the Inn, our major river - naturally on the other side, so a heavy crop here.

Gaisau_085.jpg.883be3beb9c7d2bd3a2379774ddbe809.jpg

Edited by michael-ibk

michael-ibk

89/E45.) Green Woodpecker (Picus viridis) / Grünspecht

Gaisau, Tirol, 17/3/20. And another lifer for Tirol, and not a bird I get annually on the Big Year. While I´ve heard them here before I´ve never seen one.

701342407_Gaisau_013_Grnspecht.jpg.7ad8fe8a764c3a7981ef52a42db3fe5e.jpg

935110931_Gaisau_018_Grnspecht.jpg.550af69c93880343a7b2d9766a50434f.jpg

No more birding in other places though from now on. As of yesterday every village in Tirol is under quarantine, we are only allowed to commute to other places for work (if it´s important for upholding our infrastructure), shopping and medical stuff is to be done locally. It´s unclear if we are still allowed to do (unaccompanied) walks, on TV they said yes, the legal stuff issued today says no.

I don’t usually look at BY threads, although I may have to start depending on how long these social distance requirements last, but noticed you were posting Tanzania pictures and thought I’d drop in to request a proper trip report.  :D

michael-ibk

To finish the raptors here come the Falcons:

90/T46.) Grey Kestrel (Falco ardosiaceus) /Graufalke

A few sightings in Ruaha.

660995276_2169_Ruaha_GreyKestrel_(Graufalke)-2.jpg.da20a960cdfa44015ee92cdf9541040a.jpg

michael-ibk

91/T47.) Dickinson´s Kestrel (Falco dickinsoni) / Schwarzrückenfalke

The other Grey Kestrel - occurring lower and farther East. Quite common in the Selous.

1000860544_842_Selous_DickinsonsKestrel_(Schwarzrckenfalke)-2.jpg.cd211d4fe8415fc984e2a5f2a27855c7.jpg

michael-ibk

92/T48.) Red-Necked Falcon (Falco chicquera) / Rotkopffalke

A lifer for me as my Scythebill database is telling me. Three birds in the Selous. Reaching the Southern end of their range here.

765188774_1164_Selous_Red-NeckedFalcon_(Rotkopffalke)-2.jpg.41df5cbb69fd048db8d24b2eb8308dc0.jpg

1416149481_878_Selous_Red-NeckedFalcon(Rothalsfalke)-4.jpg.29e086f884c61255861f83a3f2da76bd.jpg

michael-ibk

93/T49.) Lanner Falcon (Falco biarmicus) / Lannerfalke

One fast flying bird against the sun in Udzungwa, tricky stuff to get some detail at all in post-processing. Originally I just recognized a dark something with a Falcon silhouette when looking at the photo taken trying to work out what it was.

1002217515_3761_Udzunga_LannerFalcon(Lannerfalke)-2.jpg.d9b352bacf3866b920c1b54e8ead377c.jpg

michael-ibk

94/T50.) Pygmy Falcon (Polihierax semitorquatus) / Halsband-Zwergfalke

A Kgalagadi staple. A personal highlight in Ruaha, definitely one of my favourite birds.

1370449483_2880_Ruaha_PygmyFalcon_(Halsband-Zwergfalke)-2.jpg.ec6b360a742c8a0d8d110ce265340bb8.jpg

Birds of Prey thereby taken care of.

@michael-ibk   I have seen Red -necked Falcon in Namibia and Botswana so not quite sure what you mean by your comment regarding reaching the Southern end of their range? Another subspecies discussion? :D

Great Falcon set, @michael-ibk! I suppose you  located a good perch for the Dickinson Kestrels and invited them to come and pose for you ;). Really beautiful shot, as is the Pygmy Falcon.

Dave Williams

Very enviable falcon shots!  Why didn't I see any ..... too far south perhaps! I did see the Red-necked in Namibia though.

Love the Pygmy Falcon. It was a favourite when we saw them in Kenya

Another one who has seen Red-necked Falcons in Namibia.

Some enviable shots.

michael-ibk
22 hours ago, mvecht said:

I have seen Red -necked Falcon in Namibia and Botswana so not quite sure what you mean by your comment regarding reaching the Southern end of their range? Another subspecies discussion?

@mvecht Sorry, I was unclear, was just referring to Tanzania.

michael-ibk

95/T51.) Helmeted Guineafowl (Numida meleagris) / Helmperlhuhn

Very common in Ruaha, surprisingly scarce in the Selous. As so often almost forgot to take a picture.

566488112_1640_Ruaha_HelmetedGuineafowl_(Helmperlhuhn)-3.jpg.6e44cafda1a1a11554bb09965bf6611d.jpg

Edited by michael-ibk

michael-ibk

96/T52.) Crested Guineafowl (Guttera pucherani) / Kenia-Haubenperlhuhn

Only one sighing after dawn in Ruaha.

1296335153_2315_Ruaha_CrestedGuineafowl_(Kenia-Haubenperlhuhn)-3.jpg.0098cc819e4fb8f6b9e6b57698c0574b.jpg

michael-ibk

97/T53.) Hildebrandt´s Francolin (Francolinus hildebrandti) / Hildebrandtfrankolin

One bird seen every morning in Ruaha - most probably always the same individual.

357052937_2101_Ruaha_HildebrandtsFrancolin_(Hildebrandtfrankolin)-3.jpg.3027c0ac5b310103757c20c7f35c8f8b.jpg

michael-ibk

98/T54.) Crested Francolin (Francolinu sephaena) / Schopffrankolin

Seen regularly (but not too often) in Ruaha.

618748890_2638_Ruaha_CrestedFrancolin_(Schopffrankolin)-3.jpg.2769b00659f10dd5a6013aca28607ed2.jpg