PeterHG's fifth attempt

PeterHG

123 (SA 111).Lilac-breasted Roller. Kruger, February. Seen daily, but alway a joy to watch. 

i-tXMBVjB-X2.jpg

michael-ibk

The classics never go old Peter - beautiful! And love the Woodpecker video.

124 (SA 112).Little Swift. Kruger, February. The most common of the swifts.

i-Gj7K6pP-X2.jpg

125 (SA 113). Cape Sparrow. Kruger, February. Quite common. This one was taken at the Satara campsite. We had rented a cottage there, but the (very quiet) campsite proved a nice place to do some birding every now and then.

i-87TsNZs-X2.jpg

Edited by PeterHG

. Lesser Masked Weaver (already in the count, thanks for the advice) Kruger, February. Same place as the previous one.

i-MSDJSWC-X2.jpg

Edited by PeterHG

@PeterHG my ears pricked up with Cape weaver, as we have never knowingly seen one in the Kruger. Yours seems to have grey legs, which would make it a Lesser masked female...

The more time I spend at home, the sloppier I become ;). I do think you are right, thank you!

20 minutes ago, Tdgraves said:

@PeterHG my ears pricked up with Cape weaver

I prefer to use my eyes as the sound is turned down.

Talking of eyes.......Hmmm!;)

126 (SA 114) Red-faced Mousebird. Kruger, February. Only seen on a few occasions.

i-ZcxrHJn-X2.jpg

127 (SA 115) Woodland Kingfisher. Kruger, February. The most common of the kingfishers, seen (and especially heard) almost daily.

i-BvKcpMF-X2.jpg

Mainly feeding on large insects,frogs and snakes and we found it with this catch in the early evening. Barely enough light for a photo, but worth showing I though.

i-pKpWv5w-XL.jpg

128 (SA 116). European Bee-eater. Kruger, February. Rather common in this period.

i-kvrDrJH-X2.jpg

129 (SA 117). Spotted Flycatcher. Kruger, February. I do hope to see this little flycatcher later this year in our country, but it is not common at all in the area I live.

i-S6wVxxm-X2.jpg

130 (SA 118). White-fronted Bee-eater. Kruger February. Just to prove it did rain occasionally...

i-DJfCF5p-X2.jpg

Splendid and interesting shot of the Woodland Kingfisher with mammal prey. A Woodmouse perhaps?:D

Peter Connan

Stunning shots of the Woodland and the Bee-eater in the rain!

Nothing to add to above accolades. It is interesting to see the Woodie in a different colour.

Beautiful Bee-eater photos, and a fascinating photo of the Kingfisher with mouse!

132 (SA 120) Double-banded Sandgrouse. Kruger, February. Only seen on one occasion

i-3pD9V27-XL.jpg

133 (SA 121) Little Grebe (Dabchick). Kruger, February

i-XQ92Q8d-XL.jpg

134 (SA 122). African Hoopoe. Kruger, February. Not a chance this year of seeing its European counterpart, I'm afraid.

i-qLvwwFs-XL.jpg

135 (SA 123). Red-breasted Swallow. Kruger, Ferbruary

i-q4j8pds-XL.jpg

136 (SA 124) Arrow-marked Babbler. Kruger, February.

i-JGrzT4d-X2.jpg

137 (SA 125) Black-shouldered Kite. Kruger, February. A rather common bird-of prey, but the eyes always make me stop when the light is right. Definitely one of my favourite raptors. As it was perched at some distance I took this with the 2.0 converter. At a 1200mm equivalent it came very close ;)

i-NTs6pkq-X2.jpg

michael-ibk
2 hours ago, PeterHG said:

Not a chance this year of seeing its European counterpart, I'm afraid.

Don´t you get them in the Netherlands Peter? Here they are very rare but (especially now) there might be a chance.

Beautiful photo of the Black-Shouldered Kite.