PeterHG's fifth attempt

PeterHG

Some really exciting captures from Texel @PeterHG. Loved the Roseate Tern.

Good field marks for Comic Terns as stated and also Arctics tend to have a lighter flight and longer streamers.

No need to head for the Faroes. I have them nesting within  8km of my door. They sometimes come to the beach outside for the fish. Arctics tend not to dive as much as Commons but rather pick from the surface more like  Swallows.

@TonyQ, @Peter Connan @xelas @Galana - thank you.

A few last one from Texel:

282 Bar tailed Godwit

283 Red Knot. Both distant, but at least we found them.

i-NQnqPTK-L.jpg

284. Pied Avocet. Texel, May. Very common on the island and quite fearless in chasing off Crows and Gulls.

i-jp32dfh-XL.jpg

Nice additions Peter. Texel is still on my must visit list.

285. Blackbird. Arkemheen, June. 

i-QD2mxGQ-X2.jpg

286. Common Whitethroat. Arkemheen, June.

i-nqGp5GD-XL.jpg

And on the same branch, a few minutes later the Lesser Whitethroat (already in the count)

i-BC95Hj5-XL.jpg

and one more duplicate, one of the must abundant reed birds: Reed Bunting.

i-55BSrjF-XL.jpg

Dave Williams

Steady progress and some more excellent images Peter.

Love the first Whitethroat photo. Nice images all round.

great additions, and those shots of the rosette are stunning.

I took a walk this morning in one of the nature reserves about half an hour's drive away. Nothing new for the BY, but very enjoyable. I did improve on a previous photo, though.

White-tailed Eagle. This immature bird came gliding by and stayed lower than they usually do.

i-dXZMf6w-X2.jpg

Peter Connan

Beautiful shot!

A superb shot of the White-tailed Eagle

michael-ibk

Bravo!

Wow for the eagle shot!!

As with most of us, new additions are hard to come by. But there are still a few common ones waiting to be captured.

287. Western Jackdaw. Amersfoort, June

i-C5vwbfT-XL.jpg

When visiting some relatives in the east of the country. This little falcon flew past. Wrong lens, but happy with the sighting.

288. Eurasian Hobby. Overijssel, June

i-QBHFmHp-XL.jpg

Edited by PeterHG

5 hours ago, PeterHG said:

but happy with the sighting.

I bet you are. I would settle for that.

what a magnificent eagle.

Yesterday we took an early evening walk in a wooded area not far from here. I was hoping for one or two additions, though it's getting more difficult with the quiet summer season approaching. It's usually a good area for woodpeckers and we did get some (rather distant) views of the Great Spotted. We even managed to get the bins on a flying Black Woodpecker, but no chance of a photo, unfortunatley.

289. Great Spotted Woodpecker. Leusden, June

i-Hn6KdrP-X2.jpg

Edited by PeterHG

While I was photographing the woodpecker a raptor appeared overhead. I was ready to 'dismiss' it as a common buzzard, but the shape was different and when I looked at it more closely, it turned out to be a Honey Buzzard. Not exactly rare, but there are many years that I do not manage to see a single one.

290. Honey Buzzard. Leusden, June.

i-G8LGThG-XL.jpg

We spent a few days in my brother's cottage in the east of the country. Different habitat, so a few additions to the list.

291. Yellowhammer. Winterswijk, July. Not uncommon, but strictly limited to the east and north-east of the country.

i-DDwXvGK-XL.jpg

Edited by PeterHG

292. Chilean Flamingo. Zwillbrock, July. As the name suggests, a South American species. Escapes from bird gardens have settled in a lake just across the German border. They have a breeding colony there and after the breeding season they leave the area and may be seen on our coast and along some rivers.

i-PQsKbfQ-XL.jpg

293. Mistle Thrush. Winterswijk, July. Vocal, but very shy.

i-7WbX993-XL.jpg