PeterHG's fifth attempt

PeterHG

Well done on reaching 300,

Congratulations on your third Century.

Congratulations on getting to 300!

Peter Connan

Congratulations. Lovely photos to get there!

michael-ibk

Congratulations Peter. Particularly like the Oystercatcher, beautiful photos.

Fabulous #300 Peter! I do remember the walk, and the huge algae covered rocks. Maybe our countries will be on green list this autumn??

Congrats Peter, and lots of super shots!!

awesome sparrowhawk and lovely additions to the 300th - congrats! a great count in a very unusual year.

Had some fun photographing Barn Swallows (posted in the Birds in flight thread), but no new additions in the reserve. But when I got home a Blue Tit posed for a little while in the garden and I managed to take some shots through the window of our living room. Not from the sofa, though, I had to stand all the time ;)

302. Blue Tit. Amersfoort, July

i-s4b7mf6-X2.jpg

Wow you wouldn't know that blue tit was taken through the window - beautiful shot. 

Dave Williams

Well done on the 300 Peter. I think you'd make a better Olympus ambassador than the self opinionated one that keeps posting on FB . Some stunning shots included in your triple century.

Thank you @shazdwn and @Dave Williams

Fortunately there was one other common bird I had not included so far, so another one for the list. Apparently we're not the only ones that are keen on blackberries.

302. Common Starling. Arkemheen, August

i-cPK33HZ-XL.jpg

i-BQ4k8jG-XL.jpg

Edited by PeterHG

Lovely shots Peter, especially the way you Photoshopped that blackberry onto the Starling's beak. :P

The second shot is exquisite.

As someone who has only in recent years taken an interest in our domestic birds I am constantly surprised how many of the ones I had previously dismissed as boring black birds have such lovely plumage.

We only have 1 Staling but it is actually very pretty. Similarly we only have one Lapwing, but it is easily as beautiful as anything found in Africa.

4 hours ago, Soukous said:

especially the way you Photoshopped that blackberry onto the Starling's beak. 

Well at least he did not put a weasel on its back.:lol:

I too love the 2nd shot. Adult and juv plumage together is a great capture.

On @Soukous's theme why not shop a few repeats in and voila "The Black Arrows!"

Seriously that is a great photo. worth more points.

You shouldn´t be allowed to post those pictures Peter, they are absolutely amazing!!

great shots - yes, love that 2nd of the two starlings. the juve is stunning.

Thank you @Soukous, @Galana, @pedro maia, @Kitsafari

Another one to add and even a lifer for me. This bird was spotted (mostly heard and sometimes seen) in my favourite birding area nearby, so I could not resist the opportunity to go out and try to see it this morning. Twitching, however is a tricky enterprise in these times. I am not much of a twitcher anyway, but this one was so close by that I had to try. There were some 8 people present when I got there and I must say most of them were keeping to the social (well, physical really) distancing rule. This was forgotten abruptly, however, when one of the birders spotted the tiny reed dweller. Then everyone huddled together, aiming their cameras and clicking away. As I was unwilling to join the crowd (I may be overly cautious, but the number of covid patients is increasing again every day) I completely missed seeing the bird the first few times. Fortunately I did spot one very briefly, while I was standing some metres away from the others and manage to grab a quick shot, before the crowd descended on me and I quickly stepped back to give them room. Not too enjoyable an experience, but I did see it and got a photo.

303. Aquatic Warbler. Arkemheen, August 2020. A rare migrant from central and eastern Europe.

i-7RpF9VT-XL.jpg

Congratulations on a lifer Peter - great sighting even if the circumstances were less than ideal. 

I agree.A good result. I suppose holding your breath helped keep the photo  sharp. Only you can do the risk assessment.

Really great effort and great result, Peter. I am always surprised while people with longest lenses want to stay closer to the bird :blink:^_^

Always exciting to spot a rare migrant - whatever the circumstances (although much more enjoyable on your own)

congrats on another lifer!

On 8/15/2020 at 5:36 PM, PeterHG said:

Thank you @Soukous, @Galana, @pedro maia, @Kitsafari

This was forgotten abruptly, however, when one of the birders spotted the tiny reed dweller. Then everyone huddled together, aiming their cameras and clicking away.

Same situation here for the rare ones, but we would go with it for a short while, then distance ourselves.  

Dave Williams

It's a cracking shot that you got though Peter. I'm with you on twitches, really don't want to be part of that and all the hassle that goes with it.

It doesn't take a lot to pass on the virus, better stay safe the sorry., 

This morning I drove to Flevoland, the reclaimed polder area that has a fairly large wetland reserve. The idea was to see if one of the hides was quiet enough to spend some time there as the low water levels usually attract quite a few waders. It turned out to be no problem at all. Only one (or sometimes two) other people present in the large hide and thousands of ducks and waders. Most of them distant, but after some time groups of them ventured closer. Not much variety, the waders consisted almost entirely of Ruff (well over a thousand present), Lapwings and Avocets. Among the host, however there was one addition to the list. Unfortunately one of the most distant ones

303. Bar-headed Goose. Flevoland, August. A breeding population of some 70 pairs have settled in our country since the eighties. I had not seen one for a number of years.

i-NV8VsR2-L.jpg