PeterHG's fifth attempt

PeterHG

A few others, which I had already seen elsewhere:

Ruff. 

i-q9W2RtJ-XL.jpg

Pied Avocet

i-5Xbx6XB-XL.jpg

Ruddy Shelduck. I counted 130, by far the greatest number of them I had ever seen together.

i-dpk2g9m-XL.jpg

Edited by PeterHG

Dave Williams

More excellent shots Peter. Out of interest are the hides free to use?

@Dave Williams. Yes, they are free to use. That is also the reason they can be quite busy sometimes, but this one is quite far from the main road, so does not attract as many casual visitors.

This morning we went back to the same hide. Again, a large number of moulting ducks (mostly Shovelers and Teals and still a few Ruddy Shelducks). This time we brought the telescope and among the Ruff and Spotted Redshanks we saw a tiny, nervous bird, which proved to be a very nice addition.

305. Red-necked Phalarope. Flevoland, August.

i-HZnSsf5-L.jpg

On our way back a Kestrel allowed some good views.

306. Common Kestrel. Flevoland. August

i-qSkzxZd-X2.jpg

Love that kestrel shot (just about avoiding seeing that metal stand)

We usually look after our sister and brother-in-law's little farm for a few weeks in September. This is easier than it sounds. Our tasks mainly consist of feeding the chickens, eating their eggs, watering the vegetable garden and consuming the harvested tomatoes, cucumbers and courgettes. There is a nearby public hide I visit every now and then, but it is quite popular and not very spacious. I did manage a safe seat on one occasion and was rewarded with at least one addition.

307 Green Sandpiper. Overijssel, September. Rather distant, but clear enough.

i-z98WWQX-L.jpg

The main reason for the hide's popularity is not the Sandpiper, but a more spectacular migrant. It has a regular perch, unfortunately also at some distance but the 2.0 teleconverter came in handy. I did not have a seat overlooking the perch, but one gentleman kindly offered his place for a minute, so I came away satisfied.

Osprey. Overijssel, September

i-FPKX4Pq-XL.jpg

i-9fXzPXp-XL.jpg

i-zHd83Cd-XL.jpg

i-PBJh66P-XL.jpg

Edited by PeterHG

1 hour ago, PeterHG said:

one gentleman kindly offered his place for a minute, so I came away satisfied.

Good fortune indeed. I wish more people in hides were less selfish.

You made great use of the opportunity. Lovely Osprey.

Good to see there are still some Gentlemen around.

Well done.

22 hours ago, PeterHG said:

We usually look after our sister and brother-in-law's little farm for a few weeks in September. This is easier than it sounds. 

Sounds lovely!!

Great pictures of the Osprey.

brilliant osprey shots. 

Went back to the hide yesterday. It was such a dull day that I thought any other photographers would not think it worth there while spending time there. Apparently that's what the others figured, too ;). Still after waiting for twenty minutes I had a safe seat and was rewarded with a White-tailed eagle flying by. Not a great shot, due to the lack of light, but a great sight nonetheless. Already in the count.

i-GCXx8J7-L.jpg

Half an hour later the Osprey also returned to its perch. It was already taken by a Cormorant that was unwilling to leave, so the Osprey turned away to find another spot.

i-GrqJvjr-L.jpg

Plenty of cormorants. I had not included one yet, so:

309. Great Cormorant. Overijssel, September

i-VqbLSF8-L.jpg

A large group of cormorants glided by, taking up the complete width of the waterway. This is how they gather up shoals of fish before diving together to catch them. The Herons are waiting for this moment and when they see they cormorants starting to dive, they fly over to  pick up the fish that come too close to the banks. That part took place a little too far from the hide, but still great to watch.

Edited by PeterHG

• 2 weeks later...

Managed to get a few additions in the wetland area half an hours drive from here. There was a rather dense fog, which refused to lift until late in the morning, so the light was not ideal. Evens :

310. Eurasian Jay. Flevoland September. I could wait for a better one, but the odds are I won't get it anyway. Jays, are notoriously difficult, well for me at least....

i-rzPsX8f-L.jpg

311. Cetti's Warbler. Flevoland, September. Another one that's hard to get a shot of, so quite happy with this one.

i-5Lfrprx-XL.jpg

312. Song Thrush. Flevoland, September. This one had eluded me until now. You can tell it was still quite foggy when I took the photo.

i-RNNdHF7-XL.jpg

Great Cetti´s - such a tricky bird to get!

16 hours ago, PeterHG said:

Jays, are notoriously difficult, well for me at least....

not just for you :wacko:

• 2 weeks later...

A quick trip to the nearby wetland area in spite of the miserable weather that has been with us for over a week. Plenty of Great Egrets and Golden Plovers about. I heard the first arriving White-fronted Geese calling and in fact saw them flying over. I even got a new one for the list when I noticed a few different looking ducks among the Mallards and Teals.

313. Northern Pintail. Arkemheen, October.

i-bKnLsqn-XL.jpg

i-s7PkgX8-XL.jpg

Edited by PeterHG