PeterHG's fifth attempt

PeterHG

333. Horned Grebe. Zeeland, November. They did not want to come close to the shore, but we got pretty good views anyway.

i-cpSwnrM-X2.jpg

Edited by PeterHG

4 minutes ago, PeterHG said:

Horned Grebe

lucky you. I've never seen one. 

Love the Long-Tailed Duck Peter. Have looked for it a couple of times but never successfull, they are ultra-rare here.

Cricket fans would be getting pretty excited about now, keeping their feet off the floor and whatnot.

Nice shot!

Another useful outing @PeterHGI have been looking in vain for some Long tails and Mergansers that winter here but the seas are just too rough at present.

@SoukousHorned Grebes breed in Scotland. Next year you WILL see them technicolour.

1 hour ago, Galana said:

Horned Grebes breed in Scotland. Next year you WILL see them technicolour.

Ooh goody! :D

Dave Williams
8 hours ago, Soukous said:

lucky you. I've never seen one. 

You are in with a chance, as they are seen in your neck of the woods. I presuming you know they are also known as Slavonian Grebes?

Dave Williams

Your images have not dipped in quality since I last looked in Peter!

14 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

You are in with a chance, as they are seen in your neck of the woods. I presuming you know they are also known as Slavonian Grebes?

Surprisingly I do know that Dave ;), I spent quite some time looking for them earlier in the year but it seems I had just missed their visit.

Thank you @Soukous, @michael-ibk, @Peter Connan, @Galana, @Dave Williams

334. Golden Plover. September, Lauwersmeer. I think I waited for a closer view, but not too much time for that now and many f them have already moved on.

i-pxVXSMp-XL.jpg

Edited by PeterHG

335 Common Pheasant. Zeeland, November.

i-gwkXZX3-XL.jpg

336. Dunlin. Zeeland, November. 

i-sVTkRz2-XL.jpg

337. Eurasian Curlew. Zeeland, November.

i-Bm5bZGn-XL.jpg

Edited by PeterHG

Beautiful photos Peter!

338. Black-throated Diver. Flevoland, November. This had been reported just a short drive form home. As it was cold, grey and drizzly this morning I presumed not many others would be there to try and see it and as it turned out I was the only one there. Not the best conditions for a good photo, obviously, but that was a trade-off I gladly accepted.

i-tchGvRq-XL.jpg

2 hours ago, PeterHG said:

Not the best conditions for a good photo,

It was light. You could see it. That's a good day.;)Well done.

Great pictures as allways Peter, I particularly like the Golden plovers, I think they are beautiful birds.

Thank you @Galana, @Peter Connan.

339. Hen Harrier, Arkemheen, December. A quick trip to the local reserve this morning got me another addition. Distant, but it's quite rare, so happy with it.

i-wjFH9cT-L.jpg

Rare raptors are always a nice surprise!

Yesterday we visited some friends of ours, who live in a little village, an hour's drive from here. They showed us a tree in which they had regularly seen Long-eared Owls roosting. Even though we knew they should be there, it too a while before we could spot them, hidden in the branches. But in the end we managed to find one that even stared back at us.

340. Long-eared Owl. Gelderland, February

i-PgFNRhm-X2.jpg

Edited by PeterHG

Gorgeous. But Gelderland is the largest province of Netherlands, so you're not giving much away about the location. :(

Thank you @Zim Girland @Soukous

2 hours ago, Soukous said:

so you're not giving much away about the location

You've done your homework ;)! It's in the village of Maasbommel if you feel like having a try. It has become more or less a habit for birders in Holland not to give exact locations of owl sightings, so I guess I just automatically added a province instead of the village itself..... 

If anyone is up for a trip to Copenhagen there is a well known spot where currently there are 5 Owls, but more are expected as Winter is coming. Last winter there were up to 17 Owls sitting in 2-3 trees. I will be happy to share details. I can not guarantee that you will have the Owls staring at you, Peter was very fortunate in that respect.

7 minutes ago, mvecht said:

Peter was very fortunate in that respect.

Thank you @mvecht, I was, indeed. Seventeen is a lot! There were five in this tree and we managed to find three more in another tree, but they were hardly visible. And of course I would be quite happy to share the details of the location here, too.....:D