PeterHG's fifth attempt

PeterHG

It's a beautiful owl, and you got a great shot of it.

Great sighting and photo Peter!

OMW love love that long-eared owl! fantastic shot

On 12/10/2020 at 2:49 PM, PeterHG said:

Thank you @Zim Girland @Soukous

You've done your homework ;)! It's in the village of Maasbommel if you feel like having a try. It has become more or less a habit for birders in Holland not to give exact locations of owl sightings, so I guess I just automatically added a province instead of the village itself..... 

Thanks, to be honest I did understand why you were a bit vague about the location and didn't expect you to tell me. :rolleyes:

A rainy day, but I made a quick drive to the local meadows anyway. And not without succes. 

341. Cackling Goose. Like the closely related Canada Goose, it is an introduced bird. It is much less common, but we do seem to have a healthy population of some 500 geese. I had never consciously seen one before, but I when I saw two of them among some Greylag Geese I noticed they were quite a bit smaller. Also the bill is not as elongated as with the Canada Goose. A lifer, even...

i-5SZhDLS-XL.jpg

With only a few more days left before this year is over I browsed through my photos, to see if I had missed some for the thread. Well, time to scrape the barrel then. Let's try to reach 350 as a beautiful round number for 2020.

Magpie (juvenile) Amersfoort, June. EDIT____Well that was the wrong one for a start. I already had it.........

i-Ps4Nhmv-XL.jpg

Edited by PeterHG

342. Common Chaffinch. Flevoland, July

i-hzkbrfV-L.jpg

Edited by PeterHG

343. Curlew Sandpiper. South Africa, February

i-WHW6KHf-XL.jpg

Edited by PeterHG

344. Eurasian Collared Dove. Amersfoort, November. Quite common around here, but somehow I never think to take a photo. Well almost never.

i-Tvh8SBS-XL.jpg

Edited by PeterHG

Lovely misses Peter!

345. European Goldfinch. Flevoland, March

i-5GCnZf2-L.jpg

Edited by PeterHG

Amazing to think what it is possible to overlook. Nice captures.

How about another lifer this time of the year. A twitch this time as it had been seen quite near where I live. About 10 people present, so not too bad and there was plenty of room along the road to keep our distance. Gloomy conditions and quite distant, but but by adding the 2.0 converter I could still get it reasonably large in the frame. Hand-held at a FF reach of 1200mm. Ok, not the very best photo, but I'm still amazed at what the stabilisation of the camera can do. I got it, so who's complaining ? ;)

Taiga Bean Goose. Eemnes, December. Together with three Tundra cousins, so the difference in head and bill shape could be easily checked. This is a juvenile. The adults have more yellow in the bill.

Edit: On the basis of photos submitted today (mine and a few others) the Dutch birding society has ruled that it is a juvenile Tundra Bean Goose after all, albeit with a longer bill and les rounded head. Ok, no lifer, but it was fun while it lasted...:)

i-TJxrcQP-XL.jpg

Edited by PeterHG

Ahh shame on missing a lifer, but that's birding I guess

5 hours ago, shazdwn said:

but that's birding I guess

It is, indeed and also the fun of it.

I won't count this one, but I'll show it all the same. Thank you all, my ST friends for being here this past year. For showing all those wonderful pictures from many parts of the world and for sharing thoughts, stories, humour and much more during these troubled times. It has  definitely helped in preserving my sanity (not that there was much of that to begin with...;)) and I do hope I'll see you all again here next year and perhaps some of you even in person, if post-vaccine times will allow that. Keep safe and healthy!

i-3CX3Nrr-X2.jpg

Thank you Peter for your wonderful photos and reports from places I was not fortunate enough to visit in 2020. They are all on the list for whichever year UK citizens are allowed out of the country.

Have a good festive season, although I am not sure how festive we can be at the moment.

Thank you very much Peter, your thread this year has been a great inspiration!

A happy festive season and a wonderful year to you and yours.

Thank you Peter and Merry Christmas 🎄 

Happy Christmas Peter! 

@PeterHG, glad to see the little Goldfinch, a surprise  pop in at 345, such a sweet little bird with their bright red faces. The Owl is gorgeous, Ive seen many Owls in many countries, but never Australia, maybe that will be my goal for 2021. Ive really enjoyed your photography this year, hope to see it again next year.