Faulty starter motor, but I'll get it fixed . Soukous BY 2020

Soukous

I've never seen one of these before.

It was wading through the scrape at Boynton Marshes.

The tatty plumage and upturned bill (coupled with the fact that there are plenty of Avocets in the area) suggest that it is a very young Avocet. But whereas the adult birds wade gracefully in shallow water, this one was wading up to its neck and diving down for food.

what do you think?

xxxxx.jpg.1f0ac1c1ab3b1bbbb24ac3a468b765f8.jpg

xxxx.jpg.51e7b775bdc4498b4c8a1be7b1d29d14.jpg

Yes, it does look like a juvenile Avocet in spite if the different feeding behaviour. 

It' s an Avocet getting in deep water. Literally.:)

It went even deeper...

avocet-juv.jpg.3cd5f6842289ad6e95c2078d7b6e034f.jpg

not at all Avocet-like

avocet-juv1.jpg.923343bf9a989be4a8ba4664b6c91b42.jpg

Great tern shots

Thanks @shazdwn

Meagre pickings these last few days, so let me tell you what I haven't seen.

We've had Spoonbills sighted at 3 of our local reserves but I've been to them all and seen nothing.

Little Gulls and Black Terns seen a couple of days ago so I went for a look, couldn't find them either.

Yesterday I set off to look for an Iberian Chiffchaff that has been around for the past week or so in some nearby woodland. (common bird for you @pedro maia but quite a rare visitor for us) Amazingly enough I did hear it - a much less strident call than our Common Chiffchaff - but despite searching for about 30 minutes I never caught a glimpse. 

On the bright side, I am clocking up a lot of walking miles.B)

Edited by Soukous

30 minutes ago, Soukous said:

Meagre pickings these last few days, so let me tell you what I haven't seen.

Scope for another topic here. I haven't found a bloody Blackcap or a Sedge Warbler let alone the Little Bittern that showed up and was reported by our Lt Governor. (Thinks! Was he observing lockdown rules on essential journeys??)

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. If I'd known that I would not get to see the Iberian Chiffchaff, I would have stayed longer to try and get a decent shot of the Sandwich Terns.

They were leaving the Scrape at Minsmere ( the RSPB reserve is closed so all we can do is walk around the outside, which sadly provides almost no views of the scrapes where the birds nest) to fly out to sea in search of fish. With the sun low in the sky the only way I could get a shot of them was to try and catch them coming back in. Unfortunately, they did their best to give me a wide berth as then flw back in, being harassed all the way by Black-headed Gulls.

I think need to work on my reactions and then go back and try again later in the week.

#152 - Sandwich Tern - Thalasseus sandvicensis

Minsmere, Suffolk. June 2020

Sandwich Tern

Sandwich Tern

Edited by Soukous

#153 Magpie - Pica pica

Minsmere, Suffolk. June 2020

I've taken lots of pictures of Magpies this year, and scrapped them as they were pretty poor. This is no world beater but at least it gives a glimpse of the lovely blue plumage on the back of the bird.

Magpie

pedro maia
49 minutes ago, Soukous said:

Yesterday I set off to look for an Iberian Chiffchaff that has been around for the past week or so in some nearby woodland. (common bird for you @pedro maia but quite a rare visitor for us) Amazingly enough I did hear it - a much less strident call than our Common Chiffchaff - but despite searching for about 30 minutes I never caught a glimpse. 

I still don’t have the Iberian chiffchaff, I was waiting for the commons to go away to be sure that if I find one it’s the right one, I think now it’s time to look for them.

7 minutes ago, pedro maia said:

I still don’t have the Iberian chiffchaff, I was waiting for the commons to go away to be sure that if I find one it’s the right one, I think now it’s time to look for them.

Good luck.

Noting wrong with those shots of Sandwich Terns.

20 hours ago, Galana said:

Noting wrong with those shots of Sandwich Terns.

They are recognisable, but could definitely be sharper.

michael-ibk

Great sequence of the Common Tern, and really enjoyed the juv. Avocet - don´t think I´ve ever seen one.

28 minutes ago, michael-ibk said:

Great sequence of the Common Tern, and really enjoyed the juv. Avocet - don´t think I´ve ever seen one.

Thanks @michael-ibk, I saw it again yesterday, and it is amazing how much its plumage has developed in just a few days.

Dave Williams

Topping the 150 is a nice milestone, some nice sightings too. Avocets are rarity in North Wales although there are just over the border on Deeside. The juvenile is a cutie.

Finally a new addition.

I was looking for Roseate Terns (didn't find any) but did get this one.

#154 - Kittiwake - Laurus tridactyla

Minsmere, Suffolk. 16 June 2020

Kittiwake

Kittiwake

Kittiwake

Edited by Soukous

Okay, I do have one more. I've been sitting on it for a couple of weeks now as I was hoping I wouldn't need it. But times are tough.

#155 - Feral Pigeon - Columba livia (domest.)

My garden, Suffolk. June 2020

Feral Pigeon

Well at least you got a beautiful shot!

After a few days sitting on the hard shoulder, watching others continue past it is time to pull out into the traffic again. Only the slow lane mind you.

With our mini heatwave continuing I decided to make an early start and head a bit further afield, to Lackland Lakes, one of the reserves managed by Suffolk Wildlife Trust.

I needn't have bothered with the early start; at the moment they keep the gates closed until 8 oclock. Apparently they had been leaving them open for birders to gain early access but some local youths had been coming in for night time barbecues and drinking sessions. So they now close them overnight.

I'd driven too far to just turn around and drive home so I passed the hour or so until opening time by checking out the trees and bushes beside the access road.

Just as well I did, 'cos I nabbed a newbie.

#156 - Lesser Whitethroat - Sylvia curruca - (FTP #59)

Suffolk, June 2020

Lesser Whitethroat

Lesser Whitethroat

Lesser Whitethroat

and that turned out to be one of only 2 birds I photographed. The hides are still closed at the moment and the temperature rose quickly so the bird activity practically ceased.

The other bird was one I've already listed, a Great Crested Grebe. A sligth improvement on my previous shots. (#151)

Great Crested Grebe

Great Crested Grebe

OK, after all that excitement I'd better pull over into the next layby now. B)

Beautiful photos of the Lesser Whitethroat!

michael-ibk

Agreed, very nice photo. A fluffy one. :)

Dave Williams

Lesser Whitethroat is one I'd love to nail as well as your shots. Nice one.

I have still never seen a Lesser Whitethroat - beautiful photos.

@Soukous, I am a little envious of the variety of Garden birds you get in the UK, quite envious in fact. A Buzzard from the breakfast table is pretty nice. When we stayed at our relatives property in Sussex last year, I looked up from my  afternoon tea to see 2 Great Spotted Woodpecker on the fence and a Green Woodpecker "bugging" the lawn. I can't think that my garden birds are quite so exciting.  Cant be many people out in the reserves, looks like they are all at Bournemouth!