Faulty starter motor, but I'll get it fixed . Soukous BY 2020

Soukous

44 minutes ago, Peter Connan said:

Sorry to hear about health issues in the family

Thanks Peter. I guess aging relatives is something that comes to us all eventually

I think what I do should be classed as bird searching rather than bird watching. 

I read about areas that claim to be teeming with birds and head off there often to find nothing but crows. 

Yesterday I drove up to an island on the Baltic coast, between Germany & Denmark. My book waxes lyrical about the birds to be seen on Fehmarn but perhaps the author was there at a different time of year.

This is what he writes about Gruner Brink:

"This site is undoubtedly the best in Fehmarn" .... "It is one of the best sites for sea watching and for raptor migration, as well as for waders and wildfowl." 

Sadly this description bears little resemblance to the place I saw. A field full of Barnacle Geese and a Goldfinch was all I saw. 

#185 - Barnacle Goose - Branta leucopsis - (FTP #83)

Fehmarn, Germany. Oct 2020

Barnacle Goose

There were plenty in transit as well, but not at Gruner Brink

Barnacle Goose

Barnacle Goose

Barnacle Goose

Markelsdorfer was a more enjoyable site. A lovely location with lagoons between the path and the sea. 

This is where I got the Barnacle Geese flying overhead for the previous post.

On the ground/water, there was not a lot to see. Some Greylag Geese, Herring Gulls and a cluster of Cormorants.

In amongst the reeds there were a few lonely waders. I saw just 2, but I think they are both new additions. The photos are a bit crappy as I had to add the teleconverter to get a bit closer.

#186 - Greenshank - Tringa nebularia

Wood Sandpiper

Wood Sandpiper

Edited by Soukous

#187 - Spotted Redshank - Tringa erythropus - (FTP #84)

Spotted Redshank

The next one made the trip worthwhile as it is a bird I have been searching for all year. 

I heard them in the reeds and eventually one stopped sat still long enough for a photo. A pretty juvenile.

#188 - Bearded Reedling (Bearded Tit) - Panurus biarmicus - (FTP #85) 

(1 book has it listed as a Bearded Reedling, the other has it listed as a Bearded Tit.) 

Fehmarn, Germany. Oct 2020. 

The reeds were a bit of a pain, but I'll take it.

Bearded Reedling juv

Bearded reedling

An adult female put in a shy appearance, screened even more by the reeds

Bearded Reedling

Although I waited more than 30 minutes for better shots, there were no more appearances.

My only other new sighting of the day was in a field by the side of the road. They were a bit distant, and very shy, but the teleconverter helped bring them a bit closer.

#189 - Golden Plover - Pluvialis apricaria - (FTP #86)

Golden Plover

Golden Plover

It was only after I had chased the single birds further away from the road that I noticed there were a lot more of them than I had first seen.

More than 200 I'd guess.

Of course, me getting out of the car was the signal for them to tale to the air.

Golden Plover

Edited by Soukous

Well done with the new additions. Bearded Tit is always special. 

Good to get to anew environment, shame about the circumstances.

Some good additions and great photos of the Reedlings and the Cranes! I haven't seen Cranes for some years, but they are always something special. Are you sure # 186 is not a Greenshank?

Some worthwhile sightings there. Loved the Barnies and Beardies.

1 hour ago, PeterHG said:

Are you sure # 186 is not a Greenshank?

I think so too. Compare size with the Teal in the same shot.

19 hours ago, PeterHG said:

Are you sure # 186 is not a Greenshank?

In short no, I am not sure. Happy to agree on it being a Greenshank. I don't know why I had ruled that out. 

The bearded reedling is so cute! 

Hard work at the moment, trying to find new species in between rain showers. 

I keep thinking I have a new raptor, only to find out - every time - that it is just another juvenile Common Buzzard

Common Buzzard

and another one

common-buzzard-juv1.jpg.7374f9a2e5c6b3677ee7520ff7f4f5de.jpg

I hadn't even realised there were 2 of them

common-buzzard-juv2.jpg.86dd64c52bc8187006c91715227abde1.jpg

but they are still just Common Buzzards 

common-buzzard-juv3.jpg.02cecb130072559b8f2013faeb60f4d5.jpg:(

Other recent duplicates include Green Woodpecker, which was considerably more cooperative than my original post, which was hiding high in a tree

Green Woodpecker

But I did get 1 new addition. 

I've seen plenty of them around, but this one was close enough to photograph

#190 - Great Egret - Casmerodius albus

Lower Saxony, Germany. October 2020

Great Egret

Great Egret

Great Egret

Great Egret

Great Egret

At least you are getting nice shots of these multiple common buzzards, among others! 

:)

@Soukous  As you may know, I do my birding in Denmark but most of the birds I see om migration will hit Northern Germany the same day or one to two days later.

Please note that Raptor migration very much depends on the weather not only where you are but also where the bird started its migration the same day. Also wind direction plays a big role as to which part of Northern Germany the migration will hit. On the 18th of October when you went to Fehmarn it was an extremely poor migration day in my part of the world due to the winds and anyhow the raptor/Crane migration had more or less stopped around the 14/15th. From now on most of the migration will be Geese.

Sorry that you missed a great spectacle by a few days. On the 14th of October we had 2300+ Buzzards and 1500 Cranes at my location with many of them having gone straight for Germany the same day.

Edited by mvecht
typo

A beautiful set of photos, even if most of them are duplicates! Your Green Woodpecker is amazing and also quality shots of the Buzzards and Egret.

13 hours ago, mvecht said:

@Soukous  As you may know, I do my birding in Denmark but most of the birds I see om migration will hit Northern Germany the same day or one to two days later.

Please note that Raptor migration very much depends on the weather not only where you are but also where the bird started its migration the same day. Also wind direction plays a big role as to which part of Northern Germany the migration will hit. On the 18th of October when you went to Fehmarn it was an extremely poor migration day in my part of the world due to the winds and anyhow the raptor/Crane migration had more or less stopped around the 14/15th. From now on most of the migration will be Geese.

Sorry that you missed a great spectacle by a few days. On the 14th of October we had 2300+ Buzzards and 1500 Cranes at my location with many of them having gone straight for Germany the same day.

At least I now know what I missed :(

Maybe I should ask you to tell me when you have a busy migration day and I can then check the wind and decide where to go the following day. :rolleyes:

Great photos of the light phase of common buzzards rarely seen over here.

Good to see you are making the most of your stay.

5 minutes ago, Galana said:

Great photos of the light phase of common buzzards rarely seen over here.

As you say, rarely seen in UK. Which is why they have me reaching for my guide book every time I see one; hoping it is something different.

Lovely Green Woodpecker - I am still yet to find one!

2 hours ago, Zim Girl said:

Lovely Green Woodpecker - I am still yet to find one!

I got lucky.

I've spent ages trying to get close to them when I hear them calling without success.

This one was just sitting on the lawn when I came back from my morning visit to the baker. It even stayed long enough for me to walk to the car and get my camera. 

This BY is becoming a bit like watching paint dry as I crawl towards my (revised) target of 200 birds.

I got  a day pass yesterday and, with lockdown looming, I decided to venture back up to the Ostsee (that is the Baltic to us UK people, probably even for the people on the little island too)

Luck was with me weather-wise. After 3 days of rain the forecast was for a few hours of sunshine. and that is exactly what I got, interspersed with obligatory showers of course.

I had 2 new sites to visit this time, on the north coast of Schleswig Holstein; which is fast becoming my favourite state in Germany.

730490336_Bottsand--Hohwacht.jpg.d5ebfb3c9288ff6520c102c35fa47793.jpg

The first site, Bottsand, didn't yield any new species for my list but I enjoyed a lovely walk along the beach and did scoop a few duplicates.

Like just about all the birds I saw this day, they were mostly about 100 metres away.

Golden Plovers. The photograph shows maybe 50% of the plovers in that flock

Golden Plovers

A little group of Grey Plovers were even further away and no worthwhile photo resulted.

Various ducks; Mallards, Teal, Wigeon

Mr Teal

Teal

Mrs Teal

Teal (f)

and the happy couple

Teal Pair

The wigeons along the shoreline were more interesting

Wigeonsand I seem to be getting the hang of this BiF lark

Wigeon

Wigeon

Edited by Soukous

Gulls aplenty though almost all of them either Herring Gulls or Black-headed Gulls

For a moment I thought I had a Yellow-legged Gull, based on the dark bill. But as I didn't see any others it is probably just another Herring Gull

Herring Gull  juv

Curlews aplenty as well. Skimming the waves

Curlew

Curlew

The only new species I bagged was further east at Lippe.

#191 - Eider - Somateria mollissima

Lippe, Baltic Coast. Oct 2020

Once again they were hanging around about 100 metres from the shore

Eiders

Eiders

Eiders

and, just my luck, the only one that came closer was the one with the mankiest plumage

Eider

but he kept diving and seemed to be finding food

Eider

Eider

Lippe also had a fair number of Goosanders of various ages and plumages.

Most were like this

Goosander

But I did see one with full adult male plumage, which was a first for me

Goosander

I did actually visit a 3rd site, to the east of Lippe, called Sehlendorfer See

This is another nature reserve which comprises a large inland sea that attracts a lot of migrating birds. Only Greylag Geese when I was there but quite an impressive site.

Edited by Soukous