Faulty starter motor, but I'll get it fixed . Soukous BY 2020

Galana

Some nice sightings there.

Like the male Goosander. A very smart bird as is the single female.

Some good BIF too.

I would not encourage you with that dark billed gull but the bill does look large for a Herring Gull.

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Soukous

• Galana

• PeterHG

• Dave Williams

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

#77 - Orange-breasted Sunbird - Anthobaphes violacea (FTP #28) Robberg Nature reserve, Plettenberg Bay, SA. Feb 2020         This was a lifer for me and a wonderful wa

Well, I've worked out what the problem was with my starter motor; it is solar powered. yesterday was a glorious day - it seems like the first day this year that was not overcast or raining - and

We've had a spate to Pied Flycatcher sightings so I thought I'd better try and find one before it starts raining again.   #165 - Pied Flycatcher (f) - Ficedula hypoleuca (FTP #66) Minsm

Posted Images

PeterHG

Interesting sites and some good sightings. The male Eiders are spectacular birds and I always look forward to seeing Goosanders again.

• 2 weeks later...
Soukous

We've been blessed with a couple of beautiful late Autumn days and it would have been criminal not to have gone out to make the most of them - whilst maintaining a suitable social distance of course - 

I haven't quite got the tide times sorted yet and so frequently find myself looking at an expanse of mud flats with nothing in the near distance but Greylag Geese.

All filed away for future reference though.

Away from the water, Buzzards and Kestrels are everywhere.

Many of the buzzards are in a pale plumage phase

Common Buzzard

others a more familiar brown

Common Buzzard

but the real highlight of my weekend was something completely unexpected. 

We went to a spot in Hamburg, sandwiched between the motorway and the docks, which had been recommended by some friends as a good spot for migrating birds.

To be honest, there weren't many there, apart from a lot of Tufted Ducks

Tufted Duck

I'd just taken the photo above when I spotted something much larger flying into the trees. Too big to be a Buzzard, and once I locked onto it I could see it had a white tail.

Yes, a White-tailed Eagle!! :D

#191 - White-tailed Eagle - Haliaeetus albicilla - (FTP#87)

Holzhafen, Hamburg. Oct 2020

White-tailed Eagle

It settled into a tree a bit far away but who cares.

White-tailed Eagle

in fact there were 2 of them. The second even further away.

white-tailed-eagle2.jpg.9754c829c313de4498528bdc72c14068.jpg

well, what a wonderful surprise. 

Galana
8 hours ago, Soukous said:

well, what a wonderful surprise. 

Indeed. Well done. If anything the BIF is nicer than the perched.

Soukous
7 hours ago, Galana said:

If anything the BIF is nicer than the perched.

I was lucky. I saw the shape in the sky and, amazingly, instantly recognised that it was an Eagle. I had time to fire off three shots as it dived down through the power lines into trees. Only one of them - the last one - was in focus. 

I got four shots of it perched in the tree. Once again only 1 was usable as the rest were either not in focus or had branches obscuring the bird. 

A very happy boy. :D

Edited by Soukous
Kitsafari

Lovely BiF of the eagle!

• 2 weeks later...
michael-ibk

Great sighting of the Eagle - and in Hamburg of all places. Also interesting to see all these very light Buzzards, I´ve never seen one like that here. And I really like all the Golden Plover photos a lot. Might be more special to me than to you, I´ve only had a handful of very distant sightings.

A bright, but chilly, day presented a rare recent opportunity to venture out in search of more ticks for my BY as I crawl on all fours towards the target of 200. 

My main goal at the moment is to find some migrating swans; Whooper and Berwicks. No sign of either yet. :(

But I did find a bird that should be easy but which has eluded m until now.

# 192 - Goldeneye - Bucephela clangula - (FTP #88)

Dassower See, Mecklenburg, Germany. Nov 2020

Dassower See is a huge brackish water lake with hardly any disturbance by boats and is reckoned to be one of the best wintering grounds for ducks, geese and swans in the Baltic region.

There were quite a few birds to see, but no great variety, and they were all some way off shore. Definitely worth another visit though.

Goldeneyes were the only species I saw that are not yet in my BY.

As usual, about 100 metres offshore, so  big crop

Goldeneye

Goldeneye

Goldeneye

Edited by Soukous

I did score some more ticks though, although they were not at all the species I expected to find.

I was walking back along a track from the lake shore and saw some activity around a bird table at the end of someone's garden.

#193 - Willow Tit - Poecile montanus

Dassower See, Mecklenburg, Germany. Nov 2020.

Alost always a toss up between Willow Tit and Marsh Tit, especially when they are not making a noise. Neither are in my list so far this year, but I reckon this is a Willow Tit based on the larger bib, which extends to the shoulder.

Willow Tit

Willow Tit

Willow Tit

#194 - Nuthatch - Sitta europaea - (FTP #89)

I'm very happy to add this one as I spent a lot of hours hunting for one - without success - earlier in the year.

Nuthatch

Nuthatch

Nuthatch

#195 - Tree Sparrow - Passer montanus

another unexpected addition as I was walking along the lakeshore looking for fowl. 

Tree Sparrow

Tree Sparrow

Tree Sparrow

8 hours ago, Soukous said:

and Berwicks. No sign

Only found on the Tweed when rolling on your Rrrs.:P

Good Willow Tit.