A Lesser Big Year - for Kit&Herman 2020

Kitsafari

On 2/18/2020 at 9:04 AM, Kitsafari said:

@Galana sea views will do nicely as well - presumably more shorebirds and sea birds? 

Catching up is never easy so forgive the reversion to an earlier quote.

Yes. Our sea view has added some goodies from the lounge window. Everything from Great Northern Diver to Pink-backed Pelican. No appointments necessary.

As @Dave Williams says. The grass is often greener too. Lovely additions. Would take either of those Pittas over anything on my current home list.

Sorry about the Fantails.

So @Kitsafari, this 'Lesser Big Year' you refer to???

You are have passed 60 posts by the end of Feb. 

Last year you didn't even begin until April... so I'm not betting against you this year.

15 hours ago, Soukous said:

So @Kitsafari, this 'Lesser Big Year' you refer to???

You are have passed 60 posts by the end of Feb. 

Last year you didn't even begin until April... so I'm not betting against you this year.

@Soukous

well, other than a trip to south africa this year, I have nothing else planned. whereas you guys have India coming up with exotic birds and 12 species of kingfishers!

I'm betting on @xelas to be in the top 3...

Edited by Kitsafari

6 hours ago, Kitsafari said:

I'm betting on @xelas to be in the top 3...

We will try our best ... as we do every year :).

64/SG64: Black Baza, Pasir Ris Park

A beautiful and smartly dressed raptor, the black baza is one of my favourite migrants. It is a common migrant and usually a flock of them - about 4-5 - is seen together. They migrate from Northern India, China and northern parts of Myanmar and Thailand.  

BlackBaza1-PRP.jpg.92527f80f97bdcd2db41401513f4e632.jpg

BlackBaza2-PRP.jpg.06c563dae4d56db4e7869009d7d6ffac.jpg

65/SG65 : Crested Goshawk, Pasir Ris Park

Keeping with the raptor theme, the crested goshawk is the only resident, and the largest of the accipter species seen here.  A pair is resident in the Pasir Ris Park, and almost every year, they have bred successfully, with the poor javan mynas making part of their diet.

CrestedGoshawk1-PRP.JPG.bd22c8a3efd9aa129e5163d5d9be8b9e.JPGCrestedGoshawk5-PRP.jpg.6317399f7158930c5f05d10b3a8b9765.jpgCrestedGoshwak4-PRP.jpg.5e6600565868ea797996e046c32ffd44.jpg

66/SG66 : Grey Heron, Pasir Ris Park

Ubiquitious. Doing very well in the park

GreyHeron-PRP.jpg.8e1cf7baf0c42afbe561ee6cea085046.jpg

67/SG67 : Purple Heron, Satay by the Bay

No need to introduce this species, which is a uncommon resident here.

PurpleHeron-SBTB.jpg.1a2c672e7f40308d9d94b1dc42833376.jpg

68/SG68: Common Iora, Sungei Bedok

A common resident breeder, the common iora is a very tiny bird with many different calls. We used to see them regularly in our neighbourhood but not recently. It could be it was pushed out by all the other birds, especially the sunbirds. In good light, the male looks bright and yellow and has two white wing bars.

CommonIora-SgBedok.jpg.df03e359f21f520f514117f395d8b252.jpg

69/SG69: Chestnut Munia, Sungei Bedok

A common resident breeder in Singapore, the chestnut munia was used to be part of the black-headed munia. Found mainly in south and southeast Asia.

ChestnutMunia-SgBedok.jpg.37db1c83a8049b622e717b9b824b9a53.jpg

70/SG70 : Common Myna, Garden by the Bay

Uncommon resident as a result of the boom in Javan mynas. Considered a starling, the common myna spots a yellow patch around the eyes. It's not easy to find them. 

CommonMynah-GBTB.jpg.35bb6b66d53e3d30a09409eb0a4b1743.jpg

Love the Baza. Never seen one.

Keep them coming.

@Kitsafari, Singapore is full of surprises, love both of the Raptors.

71/ SG71 : Laced Woodpecker, Satay by the Bay

One of eights species seen in singapore, the laced woodpecker is generally regularly seen in wooded areas. It is duller than the common flameback, with its olive green back, red crown (male) and fairly streaked/scaled belly. 

LacedWP-SBTB.jpg.8ffa03a692d9bcf610b6d498bf45b94e.jpg 

72/SG72 : Arctic Warbler, Jurong Lake Gardens

A winter visitor,  the arctic warbler is probably on its way to its breeding grounds in northern Eurasia, Siberia, northeast China, Japan to Alaska. It is a regular winter migrant to Singapore. 

ArcticWarbler-JLG.jpg.8ca2bc5a606372a4b80734c94da05e7f.jpg

73/SG73 : White Wagtail, Sungei Bedok

The white wagtail is a rare winter visitor from northern Europe, Asia and Alaska. a flock of three was found in a canalised river that had water flowing in a steady stream. There are three sub-species that visit Singapore - the first pix is of Motacilla Alba Lugens. 

I have to admit, i'm not sure about the one in the second shot.

WhiteWagtail1-SgBedok.jpg.de40a5b667b200e51c45afb0c61b1309.jpgWhiteWagtail2-SgBedok.jpg.c989db8fb2b9f33a1945f18f4a163540.jpg

Edited by Kitsafari

74/SG74 : Ashy Tailorbird, Singapore Botanic Gardens

A common resident, the ashy tailorbird looks almost like the common tailorbird, except that its entire head is rusty brown. 

AshyTailorbird2-SBG.jpg.9277b67598510f0824a6f5f2bcefc758.jpg

Lovely additions Kit, but they are all from Herman. What happened? Lost your camera? :o

75/SG75 : Painted stork, Pasir Ris Park

This is a large wading bird found in the wetlands of India and southeast Asia. The pink on its tertial feathers give the stork its name. The storks are usually found in Sungei Buloh wetlands (northwestern part) but this particular one was seen all the way in the east. 

PaintedStork1-PRP.jpg.19ffda517bb0f5fdc3fe1b6bbda2d7a8.jpgPaintedStork2-PRP.jpg.245011b70cde27d0264e0b1d6dd348a7.jpg

4 minutes ago, Soukous said:

What happened?

Don't even answer, @Kitsafari! There are families where daily tasks are equally shared between the partners :wub:.

1 minute ago, xelas said:

There are families where daily tasks are equally shared between the partners

I've noticed. Zvezda photographs the wildlife whilst you photograph the bathrooms. :P

4 minutes ago, Soukous said:

Lovely additions Kit, but they are all from Herman. What happened? Lost your camera? :o

I wish! I'm grounded looking after my ailing dog (terminal cancer) since Christmas. I haven't been out and about as much as I would love to, so Herman's doubling for me. Hence, most of the home birds were from me.   

You are making me realise that on every visit to Singapore I have been walking around with my eyes closed. Who knew there were so many wonderful birds there? Well I guess you did 😝

Next time you come around @shazdwn (at least after this dire Covid is over), give me a nudge!