Steady as you go, B.Y. 2020

Dave Williams

Dave Williams

Today's offering is a repeat but it's a little different! 13 seconds of action but it last's a minute as it's in slow motion. You have to click on the image to view it I think.

49784375403_45118322ae_c.jpgOne small step, one giant leap in confidence! by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Edited by Dave Williams

Dave Williams
1 hour ago, Galana said:

Brilliant.

It is a welcome distraction from working the garden Fred. I was amazed it only took me two days to get it sitting on my hand to feed but I liked that little sequence in slow motion so shared that. My habituated species list is getting longer as are my commitments. I now have to feed the Badger, stuff nuts in the holes for the Woodpecker, top up the water bowls and feeders and now, feed the Robin by hand several times a day too. With the latter I even have to wait until he's been back to the nest and returned for more. I wouldn't mind but he /she just leaves me sat there eventually without telling me they have had enough for the time being!! 

Thanks for posting this video, Dave! It made my day.

Peter Connan

Lovely moment!

Dave Williams

This is the moment I have been waiting for. An opportunity to put all you EBC pretenders to shame. Taken on my daily exercise on a rather dull and cold morning. You have to click on the image again to view!

154) Guess the birdie!

49788572486_6e39dd6789_b.jpgSheep by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Edited by Dave Williams

Do you want the breed of the sheep too?

I'll give the others a shot at the bird.

Dave Williams

@GalanaOK Fred, here's another double to take me to 155 and 156. Again taken this morning on our walk to the Little Orme headland here in Llandudno. One is the Northern Fulmar but what photo bombed the shot  (besides my thumb!) Another  quality EBC and now I have totally dropped standards I'm rather enjoying it too. 

It's another video so you have to click on the image.

49788875422_0cabd73a62_b.jpgNorthern Fulmar by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Edited by Dave Williams

Ah Dave, you are giving this BY thread a whole new and exciting twist! Can I take a wild guess on Pied Wagtail in the first and Chough in the second? I'm already forward to the next one even if I'm completely wrong :D

Dave Williams

50% correct Peter!

Hmm. I would have said Chough also. Is it bigger and blacker?

Well you all have better eyes than I, I can only see sheep :blink:

Edit: Oh it's a video - now I can see the birdie, doh

Edited by shazdwn

michael-ibk

Whatever it is - gorgeous scenery!

Dave Williams

49790103057_e5722b0dc1_o.jpgUntitled by Dave Williams, on Flickr

I might have been wrong and the bird I thought was a great Cormorant might have been a Raven, so just in case here's the real thing.

Again, an iPhone video. So you need to click on the image to view it.

Edited by Dave Williams

Dave Williams

Piece of luck this morning that I happened to be messing around with my camera/lens trying out the 2.0x TC which has been in my bag untouched for months, when the Jay landed. They are so sensitive to sound and movement that I got one shot in "silent mode' before it flew. No time to adjust settings, grab it while you can and I only just got the whole bird in the shot!

157)

49792388033_e17a89d889_b.jpgJay   Garrulus glandarius by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Just now, Dave Williams said:

grab it while you can

... is my modus operandi :D. Still, nice photo even if it shows the impact of TC 2x.

Nice Jay.

So you are saying the photo bomber 156 was a Raven?

Dave Williams

@Galana possibly Fred, it drifted past in silence and I saw it out of the corner of my eye as I concentrated on following the Fulmar. My first thought had been Cormorant but it wasn’t a typical flight path heading towards the nesting area. Hence my later doubts.

2 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

possibly Fred,

Well if there was a doubt I would go back to Chough first if you have them on Great Orme.

Definitely a Corvid and the bouncing flight says Chough first.

Dave Williams

There are Though on both Ormes, I even had a record count of 16 fly over the garden the other night, Perhaps the bounce in the flight could well have been flying in to a pretty strong wind though? What do you think @Galana

Dave Williams

158) Pheasant

I think the phone does better with movies!

IMG_2130.JPG

1 hour ago, Dave Williams said:

I think the phone does better with movies!

Yup <_<

and even better as a communication device 

Edited by Soukous

Dave Williams

@Soukous Mine is an old phone though and from what I have seen reported the latest Galaxy phones are much, much better than my iPhone 6. You are right though, I'm not paying the crazy price of the latest iPhone as it doesn't improve on the ability to make a phone call!!

3 hours ago, Galana said:

on Great Orme.

Definitely a Corvid and the bouncing flight says Chough first.

That was my first thought, too, but I’ll gladly leave the decision to the experts! :)

3 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

There are Chough on both Ormes, I even had a record count of 16 fly over the garden the other night, Perhaps the bounce in the flight could well have been flying in to a pretty strong wind though? What do you think

Hmm. I would go more for @PeterHG's and my first choice. The fight is very bouyant and typical Chough which can make a Raven look positively clumsy.

Here are two stills from your clip. check the primaries and how the wings are held.

1959133904_corvid2.JPG.dcbea204c5d821dc9aed5b6703c41bb0.JPG

Corvid.JPG.9f68fe2ef634135c538f52df736c6d81.JPG

You choose.

Or go back again (after lockdown) and get some more.

1748014584_180629Red-billedChough1005.jpg.cc8179e5c2782e521e78ae2b027c3612.jpg

One of my visitors wanted to see our Choughs. So I got them for him.