Steady as you go, B.Y. 2020

Dave Williams

2 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

The UK isn't in lockdown yet

It is now mate! Boris has spoken.

"From this evening I must give the British people a very simple instruction - you must stay at home."

After seeing photos of people stupidity both in UK and other parts of the world, who can blame him?

I somehow cannot see the Bizzies counting Big Year as an essential activity so..........!

Nice photos.

I have Goldfinch in my own BY and always love to see them and search for 'that perfect shot'. (It's not all about EBCs tha knows!)

2 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

How handsome is this Goldfinch?

Very handsome! But as I have them at my garden, the Snow Bunting is The Bird of the the day for me.

10 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

I sometimes look enviously at some of the species being photographed in distant corners of the planet and then I realise it's probably a two way thing.

Sure is.  

We are lucky here in Darwin - so far only 5 cases and no community spread and therefore we are still allowed down the local park if we practice social distancing (pretty much everything else is shut though).  I expect one day (any day now really) that will end and this whole thread will become a Backyard BY challenge.  Until then I'll try and provide some diversion from Down Under (bird watching is a good social distancing activity I find).  

Dave Williams

Here's one that's bang up to date. This morning in the garden.

The Chiffchaff is one of the sure signs that winter is over. They started singing in our garden a couple of days ago and the sun has been out to greet them too.

128)

49693583806_258014512d_b.jpgCommon Chiffchaff     Phylloscopus collybita by Dave Williams, on Flickr

A lovely photo showing spring is arriving 

13 hours ago, xelas said:

Very handsome! But as I have them at my garden, the Snow Bunting is The Bird of the the day for me.

agreed

Dave Williams

To keep things ticking over I'm drip feeding a back catalogue!

This Peregrine was one of a pair that flew overhead when I was still out and about last week on a beautiful sunny day in Anglesey.

129)

49697316462_deb6669817_b.jpgPeregrine Falcon    Falco peregrinus by Dave Williams, on Flickr

I'm sure I'll get one, one day

1 hour ago, Soukous said:

I'm sure I'll get one, one day

Just get up to Leighton Moss, almost guaranteed!  

Well, when they open back up of course :(

Dave Williams

@Soukous No need to go that far north I'm a 'birding pal" too!!

A great sighting of the Water Rail. Always a treat to see one.

Nice one Dai bach. Something to keep everyone sane.

Was that your car I saw at Cleeve Common as the Police arrived?

Dave Williams
22 hours ago, Galana said:

Nice one Dai bach. Something to keep everyone sane.

Was that your car I saw at Cleeve Common as the Police arrived?

How dare you suggest I'd take my car on an unnecessary journey. I was sharing with four friends.

Actually, what a bunch of peabrained idiots, however, I also put a huge responsibility on those that both spread the word and and those that enable it to be spread too. Some supposedly responsible companies in that lot as well as your usual Facebook, Twitter and WhatsApp groups.

Dave Williams

I actually left the house and went for a 75 minutes walk with Claire this morning. We only passed 4 other people and that at distance too. Gets busier later in the day but still surprisingly few make it to the top of our local viewpoint. We are lucky we don't even have to get in the car which has now been declared as not allowed if it's to take you somewhere unnecessary. A stunning day but still fairly cold early on. @Galana on his island retreat seemed to be submerged in a sea fret.

IMG_1657.JPG.f33fbd65b54d89bfb35928c89b23477e.JPG

Dave Williams

So, back to lockdown having enjoyed our first escape for a week, I set about some tasks in the garden. Slowly does it, I meticulously went through some soil from last years plant tubs looking for Vine Weevil grubs to feed my little friend who rewards me with a little tune as a way of thanks.

131) European Robin

49704378406_8c3663c9eb_b.jpgRobin by Dave Williams, on Flickr

49704377966_8afafd8cd6_b.jpgRobin by Dave Williams, on Flickr

The garden has a lot more to offer than we sometimes realise.

49704693972_2e7b9149dd_b.jpgEuropean Robin  Erithacus rubecula by Dave Williams, on Flickr

13 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

. @Galana on his island retreat seemed to be submerged in a sea fret.

That's not  a sea fret. That's steam coming out my ears trying to get the  lid off the next tin of paint!:angry:

Is the third Robin female?  Nice Frock dear!

Dave Williams

One from pre lockdown and on a gloriously sunny day but with a biting cold wind at a recently opened RSPB reserve on the Isle of Anglesey.

132)Eurasian Wigeon

49707292833_936e6b5878_b.jpgEurasian Wigeon.   Mareca penelope by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

Today's offering, another from a couple of weeks ago at the Cors Ddyga RSPB reserve on the Isle of Anglesey, North Wales

134) Eurasian Teal

49715742206_060f804330_b.jpgEurasian Teal    Anas crecca by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

Yet another from the same place to add to my trickle of additions.

I could have taken a shot of a Canada goose but didn't however, I did bother to take one of a

135) Greylag Goose

49718024966_dfc70591c1_b.jpgGreylag Goose   Anser anser by Dave Williams, on Flickr