Steady as you go, B.Y. 2020

Dave Williams

Dave Williams

Here's the last one from the Cors Ddyga RSPB reserve and my last outing with the camera. Happy days, fingers crossed they will return sooner than expected.I didn't think I'd be using some of these shots for my BY as I hoped for better. Now I'm not so sure I'll get the chance!

138)European Stonechat

49724435771_3048563a25_b.jpgEuropean Stonechat   Saxicola rubicola by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

Also at the top end of the Isle of Anglesey there's a good spot for seeing native Red Squirrels so I headed off to see if I could finds some. I did, but only briefly and the photos were poor. I did get an extra species for the BY though.

139) Brent Goose ( of the Pale-bellied variety)

49723429362_f307d8e2d2_b.jpgBrent Goose    Branta bernicla by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

How often do we just ignore the humble Mallard when in the right environment they can make an excellent photo in my opinion.Took me back to happy memories of photographing Harlequin Ducks in Iceland a few years ago. That's a place I'd love to go back to but it's extremely expensive! The Mallard came cheap at our local National Trust gardens.

140)Mallard

49727003087_483fb30512_b.jpgMallard  Anas platyrhynchos by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

Nothing to do with the BY but I thought I'd share our local newspaper headline which I thought was really good.

49726829611_95fffe6ecf_b.jpgLoved this headline in our local paper! by Dave Williams, on Flickr

The story was picked up and word spread right around the globe with it making the news as far away as Australia I believe. The downside has been that people are now breaking the lockdown rules and travelling to see the deserted streets of Llandudno which in turn have become busier. You can't understand some folk can you!!

Edited by Dave Williams

Towlersonsafari

i have seen a video of this where someone has added a soundtrack of westside story @Dave Williams

A really creative headline indeed! In spite of all the missed opportunities, some really beautiful additions, Dave!

Dave Williams

I'm running out of new species without starting to use my garden birds which I'm hanging on to as something to try for over the coming weeks ( or months:wacko:) I decided to make this one an exception as the likelihood of seeing one hunting in the reed bed here in the garden is zilch. We have no reed bed!!

So at 141) Eurasian Wren

49729731928_d66e91520e_b.jpgEurasian Wren   Troglodytes troglodytes by Dave Williams, on Flickr

If I can get to 150 during lockdown I'll be happy, 200 by the end of the year would be a decent target right now with not too much hope of getting it either. Mind you, yesterday on my daily exercise allowance I spotted one of the two birds at the very top of my target list. Might take the camera with me today.

50 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

200 by the end of the year would be a decent target right now with not too much hope of getting it either.

Never give up on hope. Go for it.

Dave Williams

Today's offering taken from the footpath on our morning exercise. I was after something totally different but it was a no show today which is typical as I had my camera with me! Still, at least I got a new addition!

142)Eurasian Blackcap

49733897578_44c316b182_b.jpgEurasian Blackcap   Sylvia atricapilla by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

One from last week. A shy and rarely seen visitor to the garden but we do hear one singing in the locality and if I keep the bird bath topped up it might be a regular visitor when we are not looking. Might set the camera trap up there!!

This shot was taken from the bedroom window.

143)Song Thrush

49737165403_d4bd3786dd_b.jpgSong Thrush   Turdus philomelos by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

Not 100% sure of the ID ( @Galana) but had to dig deep to find something new for 2020 as this was taken nearly a month ago on a flooded field close to home. I have decided after yesterday's first foray that taking my camera out on my daily exercise walk is not sticking to the spirit of things even if I only paused for a few minutes to take a snap so from now on it's garden birds only....unless I can find another from a few weeks back! That much wanted species I went in search of will have to wait until another time but it's a small price to pay if we are to conquer the virus. We all have a part to play and the rules should apply to everyone even those lucky enough to have wide open spaces all to themselves.

144)Rock Pipit

49741196248_83bb2d51b6_b.jpgEurasian Rock Pipit   Anthus petrosus by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Edited by Dave Williams

16 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

Not 100% sure of the ID ( @Galana)

I am.

Good to see your post.

I took the car for essentials today and was tempted but resisted. That long since we used the car that I had to change the hour!

Well said, Dave and a beautiful Rock Pipit from better times!

Dave Williams

Another from a few weeks ago. The GCG are seen in the sea off the promenade locally during winter, this one caught my eye as it was returning in to breeding plumage.

145) Great Crested Grebe

49745572807_82681796ae_b.jpgGreat Crested Grebe   Podiceps cristatus by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Always a pleasure to see GCG!

Dave Williams

Yesterday I decided to spend some time trying to capture a half decent image of one of the several garden birds I have yet to post but they were not co-operating. I decided to investigate an area in next doors abandoned bit of garden using the dividing hedge for cover. In doing so I inadvertently flushed one of the Tawny Owls I have heard calling for the past few weeks. It came up from ground level, not where you'd expect an owl to roost . Anyway, it flew in to my garden and towards the nest box we have put up so it must at least know it's there even if they are not going to use it.

Anyway, I managed to get a couple of shots for my BY before the Blackbirds chased it off and it vanished.

Like @TonyQ, I felt a thrill to see it never mind get a shot of any description.

146)Tawny Owl

49749275082_1414365ce9_b.jpgTawny Owl   Strix aluco by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Brilliant, what an exciting sighting 

Persistence pays off. Nice one!

Fantastic sighting!

@Dave Williams let me be clear, were you trespassing?!?

:ph34r:

Edited by Tdgraves
Typo

Dave Williams
13 minutes ago, Tdgraves said:

@Dave Williams let me be clear, were you trespassing?!?

:ph34r:

Actually no! We have a leylandii  hedge ( why previous owners  planted that is forever an annoyance as it needs vigorous maintenance to keep it at a decent height of around the same as deemed necessary for social distancing :D, yew would have been so much better) and just behind the hedge is a chain link fence which is the actual boundary. Handy little hiding spot and the fence makes a handy resting place for the camera too!

Given that `I have to admit venturing in to their garden now and again!!

Edited by Dave Williams

Great sighting and what an exciting moment it must have been!

3 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

yew would have been so much better

I know I would. Is that  proposal.:o

Another garden owl, it’s not fair, this all the wildlife in my garden:

B0E0A0B0-07D8-46AD-8235-C3BA06E9E60A.jpeg.2d21d71691e4f678ca8781ed1530427d.jpeg