Late to the party ... Sharon's first attempt

shazdwn

@shazdwn, I can only dream of a quick trip into Kakadu....maybe next year. Great to see all the shorebirds making it back for Summer

Wow! 

Thanks everyone for your comments - it was indeed a great trip to one of my favourite national parks.

On 9/29/2020 at 11:16 AM, Kitsafari said:

wow 93 species over 1.5 days?!!

And the strange thing is this doesn't even include some common species I would have expected to see but didn't this time around.  

On 9/29/2020 at 2:37 AM, michael-ibk said:

I especially like the Whistling Ducks.

Me too.  There were hundreds, if not thousands of them and the sound was such that you were not left wondering how these ducks got their name.  

17 hours ago, elefromoz said:

, I can only dream of a quick trip into Kakadu....maybe next year. Great to see all the shorebirds making it back for Summer

We must be close to opening the WA/NT border - both states are Covid free after all (well except for the crew of that cargo ship WA had to take in).  A bit more freedom of movement would be nice.  

On 9/29/2020 at 11:16 AM, Kitsafari said:

I'm still searching for the dotterel.

:D:D:D

image.jpeg.9d81e1c874d786dbb29fab67b4b65d65.jpeg

Edited by shazdwn

• 1 month later...

Ok so I've had a couple of small trips since I last posted, but then got busy with home renovations so haven't had time to sort or post the images.  So a bit of catching up to do.

First up - one I missed from my Kakadu trip 

186) Nankeen Night Heron - Kakadu National Park, Northern Territory, Australia - 26/09/2020

022A6865 - Copy.jpg

187) White-faced Heron - Corroboree Billabong, Northern Territory, Australia - 4 October 2020 

022A7243 - Copy.jpg

Damn - I just realised I have lost half of my shots from this trip (and at least one new species).  Note to self - check everything has transferred correctly before you delete!  

188) Pied Cormorant - Corroboree Billabong, Northern Territory, Australia - 4 October 2020 

022A7427 - Copy.jpg

24 minutes ago, shazdwn said:

Damn - I just realised I have lost half of my shots from this trip (and at least one new species).  Note to self - check everything has transferred correctly before you delete!  

Been there, done that, learned the lesson :(

189) Banded Honeyeater (immature) - Douglas River Esplanade Conservation Area - 10/10/20

022A7883 - Copy.jpg

190) Wedge-tailed Eagle (juvenile being chased by a goshawk) - Douglas Daly region, Northern Territory, Australia - 10/10/20

022A7923 - Copy.jpg

Great picture of the eagle and goshawk showing difference in size!

Sorry to hear about your lost files.

If you have not formatted or re-used the card it's very likely the photos can be retrieved.

i hope you'll find a way to retrieve the lost photos. Some beautiful shots among the ones you do have!

wow on the goshawk vs the eagle.

Gosh the Goshawk looks positively tiny next to the Wedgie, I wonder what its plan was?  Its so exciting to get an action shot like that. 

• 2 weeks later...

Very sorry to hear about the lost pictures, I know that stings a lot! Great photo of the White-Faced Heron. And agree with the others, Eagle and Goshawk - very cool!

Thanks everyone for the commiserations on the lost images - I have worked out that my Photo Mechanic program is no longer ingesting files correctly, although I have no idea how to fix it.  Anyway at least the trip was to a place I get to visit at least once a year so a few good images lost but no lasting harm - although I know there was at least on new species in there!  

I haven't had much time for birdwatching lately but finally got out last weekend and even managed to find something to add to the tally.

191) Sooty Oystercatcher - Buffalo Creek, Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia - 21/11/2020

022A8888 (2) - Copy.jpg

192) Red-necked Stint - Buffalo Creek, Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia - 21/11/2020

1357016313_022A8911-Copy.jpg.7dde745eaecb5f2d55de676c8650d2db.jpg

And an earlier one I forgot I hadn't posted yet

193) Little Curlew - Knuckey Lagoon, Darwin, Northern Territory Australia - 4/10/2020

022A7847A - Copy.jpg

Dave Williams

Some excellent images and interesting birds and the double century getting very close!

194) Brush Cuckoo - Lee Point, Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia - 6/12/2020

022A9797 - Copy.jpg

On 11/29/2020 at 3:07 AM, Dave Williams said:

Some excellent images and interesting birds and the double century getting very close!

The double century is close but so is the end of the year - its a race to see which comes first!!!

A double century this year, and in one country is a major achievement showing serious commitment!