11 minutes ago, kittykat23uk said:

Now, can you advise where on earth we saw  blue-breasted bee-eater (Merops variegatus)

Saw them almost every hour on 10th at 09.07, 10.16 and again at 11.14.

1-DSCN5388.JPG.24dcd4a1a313d39bf74776c704bd029c.JPG

kittykat23uk

Is that the only day we saw them?

1 hour ago, kittykat23uk said:

Is that the only day we saw them?

Zvezda timestamp says 1 at 09:05 and a couple (2) at 9:20. I have them at above mentioned times, and extra at 11:10. They look awful same as Cinnamon-chested, so it is location, location, location, @Galana ?

2 hours ago, xelas said:

They look awful same as Cinnamon-chested,

Noooo! More like a dumpier Little.  Cinnamon-chested is much larger and has, would you believe, a Cinnamon chest.

I like this description in Fanshawe's. "Little has cinnamon-rufous underparts whereas Cinnamon-chested is deeper rufous-cinnamon below."  We carry quite enough stuff around with s on trips but now it seems we need a colour chart like you get with paint tins.

He goes on to say "Bue-breasted is a confusing name since the gorget varies from deep blue to blackish and often appears black in the field."

Er, thanks for sharing that with us John.:rolleyes:

He remains silent on what is a breast and what a chest.

Edited by Galana
amended text.

kittykat23uk

Phew, found one! 

P2100106 Blue-breasted bee-eater (Merops variegatus)

P2100113 Blue-breasted Bee-eater

16 hours ago, kittykat23uk said:

The shape of the yellow markings just reminded me of the well-known comic book villain, Magneto's, helmet

What a strange world you youngsters inhabit!

16 hours ago, kittykat23uk said:

Nah! These are just races or sub species. I see no "Small" Rock Martin.:P

@kittykat23uk, nice Gorilla trekking post, for me, one of life's great experiences. I recall the pre trek apprehension, such a relief to get a not too difficult hike.

@Chakra, the Tiger video is hilarious, that Langur knew it didn't have a chance...and enjoyed teasing

Once again I am glad you are not participating in BY @kittykat23uk you'd be amongst the front runners.

kittykat23uk
37 minutes ago, Soukous said:

Once again I am glad you are not participating in BY @kittykat23uk you'd be amongst the front runners.

Hmm I doubt that, I think @xelasis holding back to populate his own thread 😁

28 minutes ago, kittykat23uk said:

Hmm I doubt that, I think @xelasis holding back to populate his own thread 😁

Oh I know that. First the TR, then he will eke out his BY, hoping to make it last until he is allowed out to play again. B)

Yet another regular bird at our Balcony in Buhoma to keep the thread going.

DSCN6512.JPG.1e12a99f816bb14f27e6c99fdc110440.JPG

Tawny-flanked Prinia.

@Soukous, it is a trip report, after all. Once I was told that a good trip report tells the story in 100 photos. I am at #400 ... and still have 10 days to go. 

If I wanted to show you all the photos then I would post a link to an online gallery.

Anyway, you will be treated to all of birds photographed in Uganda, including the EBC and UFO, in Big Year. Coming soon. :D

38 minutes ago, Galana said:

Yet another regular bird at our Balcony in Buhoma to keep the thread going.

Do I detect a note of impatience? :o

kittykat23uk
13 minutes ago, Soukous said:

Do I detect a note of impatience? :o

I honestly don't understand this rush to finish personally. Better to give readers something to look forward to given our current situation. I suspect there will soon be a dearth of new reports... 

kittykat23uk
36 minutes ago, xelas said:

@Soukous, it is a trip report, after all. Once I was told that a good trip report tells the story in 100 photos. I am at #400 ... and still have 10 days to go. 

Who one earth told you that?! 😂😂

31 minutes ago, xelas said:

Once I was told that a good trip report tells the story in 100 photos. I am at #400 ... and still have 10 days to go. 

Did you miss off the bit about 100 being the maxima not the minima?^_^

14 minutes ago, Soukous said:

Do I detect a note of impatience? 

Not really but if it were not for corona and the shutdown I would be packing for my next trip about now. I am no Michaelangelo but I have done two ceilings in the time between postings.

Scheherazade spun it out but then she had a good reason!:P

42 minutes ago, Galana said:

if it were not for corona and the shutdown I would be packing for my next trip about now

Commiserations. :(

I would have just returned from Extremadura and be preparing for a week on Mull. I suspect that these will not be the only 2 trips that I have to cancel. Australia in May is looking very doubtful. 

Hopefully we'll be moving again by November, although what state India will be in by then is anyone's guess. If I had any hair left I'd be pulling it out.

michael-ibk

"Magneto Bird", ha, good one Jo, made me laugh! (Fellow longtime X-Men Fan here)

Edited by michael-ibk

Peter Connan

Lovely photos!

@xelas thanks for the baby Cuckoo. I also love your shirt, the owl, and the Bronze Sunbird, among others.

kittykat23uk
2 hours ago, michael-ibk said:

"Magneto Bird", ha, good one Jo, made me laugh! (Fellow longtime X-Men Fan here)

Glad someone got the reference! 

2 hours ago, Peter Connan said:

I also love your shirt

Me too :D; and I have more then one !

What a productive swamp walk, even if you had hoped for more birds.  Overall you did well with the birds as they are flying or perching all over this report. That is the most impressive background I have seen for the oh-so-common Bulbul.  For those not keen on chimps, that's great, fewer people to bid up the chimp viewing permits. 

How nice you got to frolic with the Mweya Mongoose.

Edited by Atravelynn

On 3/31/2020 at 1:29 PM, Soukous said:

Commiserations. :(

I would have just returned from Extremadura and be preparing for a week on Mull. I suspect that these will not be the only 2 trips that I have to cancel. Australia in May is looking very doubtful. 

Hopefully we'll be moving again by November, although what state India will be in by then is anyone's guess. If I had any hair left I'd be pulling it out.

Where in Extremadura were you going to?

17 minutes ago, pedro maia said:

Where in Extremadura were you going to?

Villareal de San Carlos