Lakes, Baobabs, Falls and Islands - Green Season in Southern Tanzania

BRACQUENE

@michael-ibk

What can I add after reading and loving all your posts since coming back from holiday   ? Out of this world and simply stunning 

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• michael-ibk

• janzin

• TonyQ

• Biko

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The world has changed. But two months everything was still good - it was "before". Corona was just some obscure thing happening on the other side of the world, and we did not think twice about going o

I have talked about the risk of rain. Well - it´s the rainy season. And this has been an extreme rainy season so far with an unprecedented amount of precipitation. Flash floods caused major damage to

So off we where about 1600 in the afternoon, our last drive in the Selous. The roads were still incredibly tricky to maneuvre, and I can only admire our skilled driver Abuu - what a tought job this gu

Posted Images

pedro maia

Incredible sighting, what a fight, would love to see that!!

vikramghanekar

What an outstanding trip report. The bird photographs are simply superb. But what takes the cake is the battle between puff adder and the cobra. In India we have their counterparts in Russell's viper and spectacled cobra respectively. 

Cobras are known to actively hunt vipers and eat them! The most weird thing is that I was discussing this with a friend who is a snake expert just an hour back! 

Thoroughly enjoyed the report. 

Looks like there will not be an Africa trip for me in 2020. But I am encouraged to plan it in early 2021 in green season after reading this! 

Thank you for sharing. 

Cheers

Vikram

michael-ibk
On 9/19/2020 at 9:49 PM, janzin said:

I love snakes...used to have a pet python.)

Please don´t bring any snakes to Chile! :ph34r:

On 9/19/2020 at 9:56 PM, ice said:

I was once lucky enough to the see the end (KTP 2013, albeit with a cape cobra)

Great video! It seems the Puff Adder is still moving? What a gruesome death. And yes, it´s very true what you say about shape - never really thought of that.

On 9/19/2020 at 10:29 PM, inyathi said:

but otherwise I would say it is fantastic to see the Great Ruaha with that much water in it,

I agree - it was impressive to see such a powerful river. Very interesting to see the difference.

On 9/19/2020 at 10:34 PM, ice said:

but I am pretty sure that these are indeed chance encounters

Agree - our guide/driver Ayoubu has worked in the bush for more than 20 years, and had never seen anything like that. I guess most of these battles would not happen on roads and would therefore be more or less invisible?

On 9/20/2020 at 6:17 AM, campsafari2015 said:

I wonder how long it'd been going on for before you arrived and how much venom it had in it. 

Wondered about that too - very likely it had been bitten at least once. I guess otherwise it would have tried to get away.

And thanks everybody - it was one of the most intense sightings we ever had, felt like being in the middle of one of the Attenborough BBCs.

1 minute ago, michael-ibk said:

Great video! It seems the Puff Adder is still moving? What a gruesome death. And yes, it´s very true what you say about shape - never really thought of that.

yes, it was still moving, that's my impression, too

@michael-ibk, well goodness knows how,  but I have totally missed this fantastic report. Just finished the Selous part, quite the adventure, good job you're seasoned African travellers. I would have been really worried flying in and seeing what lay below and how the heck you were ever going to negotiate all that water and mud. Beautiful photos and deserving of the high praise. Gulp..Green Mamba, I saw one from a Jeep once and that scared me enough.

Kitsafari

I just couldn't watch the videos as i'm allergic to snakes. I too wondered why the adder didn't slither away and was not moving much when you arrived. but u did say the cobra went into the grass when your truck came on the scene. so it sounded like the cobra already had its fangs in the adder well before you arrived. I don't like snakes, but felt sorry for the adder too. 

BTW - love that shot of the common sandpiper at the edge of the rock with the water splashing around it. 

michael-ibk

Thanks, @elefromozand @Kitsafari!:)

Not much left to tell on our time in Ruaha, we´ve already come to the last morning. After a late breakfast (0700, that´s almost noon by safari standards!) we were taken to the airport. Nothing too exciting showing up there, and the place where the two snakes had battled was empty.

1366292744_TR3195_Ruaha_MasaiGiraffe_(Massai-Giraffe).JPG.fd65d0de6e69b5ca7b22ad0dd46b2f29.JPG

This very chilled Giraffe close to camp did not mind us at all.

8322122_TR3193_Ruaha_MasaiGiraffe_(Massai-Giraffe).JPG.c7f6f7700b9b3e8c21eaeacaa5be40f4.JPG

634216412_TR3200_Ruaha_Fork-TailedDrongo_(Trauerdrongo).JPG.f3e4a88b82f7b1f49e8bb468d07a6652.JPG

Fork-Tailed Drongo. Not the most pleasing poser but at least close enough the get the red eye.

1851066144_TR3215_Ruaha_White-BrowedCoucal_(Weibrauenkuckuck).JPG.3a91fc1461949c07ad3c4713a183f4a5.JPG

White-Browed Coucal

1593536628_TR3248_Ruaha_NamaquaDove_(Kaptubchen).JPG.188ec3440e62b9d5dd5a450adc9bd5c1.JPG

Namaqua Dove couple

845999607_TR3274_Ruaha_ThomasDikdik_(Thomas-Dikdik).JPG.a2bc96bda9717f89050427835eb5e95e.JPG

One last Dik-Dik. Really love them, they should be around everywhere!

2020221141_TR3291_Ruaha_PurpleRoller_(Strichelracke).JPG.d3dbbdddd93a610e4f1d83e2ff800b96.JPG

Purple Roller

927477785_TR3309_Ruaha_Buff-CrestedBustard_(Oustaletttrappe).JPG.baf68862ccbc3799847b743505c74171.JPG

A lifer for me - Buff-Crested Korhaan

1136262460_TRIMG_3990.JPG.560166ec770b03fd08076815a05bffe2.JPG

Last Elephants

215494171_TR3327_Ruaha_Black-ChestedSnakeEagle_(Schwarzbrust-Schlangenadler).JPG.2b6fe38662a2895eeaea7f98a7c72611.JPG

1900899521_TR3334_Ruaha_Black-ChestedSnakeEagle_(Schwarzbrust-Schlangenadler).JPG.b8ac0ebfb0d959d34c93975e809c7f8c.JPG

And a Black-Chested Snake-Eagle showing up to say Good Bye - we had reached the airport.

1612825885_TRIMG_4005.JPG.77588b10f61c9762188a27d2075e1039.JPG

Good Bye Ruaha, what an awesome park, we´ll be back for sure.

Edited by michael-ibk
19 minutes ago, michael-ibk said:

Good Bye Ruaha, what an awesome park, we´ll be back for sure.

I fully agree with you @michael-ibkand thanks for your great TR and inspiring photography.

michael-ibk

Thanks @Biko- TR not completely over yet, a little coda about Mafia Island still coming up. 

BRACQUENE

@michael-ibk

Until now to be honest my favorite park for the scenery of course but even more for the abundance and diversity of wildlife especially in the northeastern corner around Mwagusi Camp ; thanks again for sharing !