Sharon's second time around

shazdwn

-/NT97 - Australasian Grebe - Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia - 20/06/2021

_03A4347A - Copy.jpg

Beautiful shots again. I love the grebe 

Peter Connan

Some truly great shots here!

Impressive birds, those Black Cockatoos and great photo!

brilliant shots. really love those cockatoos

Thanks everyone.  I didn't quite get to finish the other night so here are some more from last weekend.  

131/NT98 - Cattle Egret - Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia - 20/06/2021

That's all our egret species counted this year now

_03A4380A - Copy.jpg

I wasn't expecting to find this one where I did last weekend, rather I was hoping to maybe get one on our trip to Western Australia.  But hey, I'll take it.

132/NT99 - Diamond Dove - Marrakai, Northern Territory - 20/06/2021

_03A4158 - Copy.jpg

And a couple of repeats from my Kakadu trip

_03A0077-flat - Copy.jpg

_03A2405-flat - Copy.jpg

_03A9987-flat - Copy.jpg

michael-ibk

Wow, excellent photos! Love the Barking Owl, and the two raports going at it in your latest post are outstanding!

Magnificent, fearsome Sea Eagle shots

Dave Williams

Great stuff here Sharon, it strikes me that anyone who wants to break the world record for sightings in a given year HAS to visit Australia. I see so many of your shots of birds I recognise only to see they have a different name. The warden at our local RSPB reserve packed it in and set off around the world about 12 years ago and broke the then world record which stood at around 4000 + ( makes our BY efforts look a bit tame!) and it included Australia. He built on the fame he and his partner achieved in doing so and now they run their own birding tour company which is more fun and more lucrative than working for the RSPB too!

Not sure where the record stands now, somewhere nearer to 7000 and getting near impossible to beat too unless you have extremely deep pockets.

@Dave Williams I can’t disagree with you there. We do have a pretty amazing assemblage of feathered friends.  Unfortunately time is an issue for me at the moment but I hope to be able to share some more soon

Wonderful set of new additions, particularly like the Barking Owl - beautiful!

133/NT100 - Silver-crowned Friarbird, Gunn Point, Northern Territory, Australia - 4/07/2021

_03A5496 - Copy.jpg

Edited by shazdwn

134/NT101 - White-throated Honeyeater, Gunn Point, Northern Territory, Australia - 4/07/2021

_03A5204-Edit.jpg

Edited by shazdwn

135/NT102 - Beach Stone-curlew, Gunn Point, Northern Territory, Australia - 4/07/2021

_03A4698 - Copy.jpg

Edited by shazdwn

136/NT103 - White-bellied Cuckoo-shrike, Gunn Point, Northern Territory, Australia - 4/07/2021

_03A5250 - Copy.jpg

_03A4862 - Copy.jpg

Down Under is the place to be for birding ... but it is only reserved to Aussies. Thank you Sharon for sharing those beautiful birds with us.

13 hours ago, xelas said:

Down Under is the place to be for birding ... but it is only reserved to Aussies. Thank you Sharon for sharing those beautiful birds with us.

Only reserved for Aussies for now, but we will welcome you all back one day

My parents are visiting at the moment and as a treat I took them on a trip to Bare Sand Island, about 1.5 hours by boat from Darwin which scored me a tick I would not usually get.

137/NT104 - Lesser Frigatebird, Bare Sand Island, Northern Territory, Australia - 12/07/2021

_03A5632 - Copy.jpg

_03A7049 - Copy.jpg

3 hours ago, shazdwn said:

Bare Sand Island

Can we assume that as Aussie names are often quite literal that Bare Sand Island is exactly that? :P

Edited by Soukous

@Soukousas tempted as I am to tell you that the name comes from people going bare in the sand, I will admit that yes, the name is pretty self explanatory.

775789468__03A5554-Edit-Copy.jpg.2344404168956d1b5951a53b5cdd2692.jpg

The real reason to visit Bare Sand Island though is that it is a reliable nesting beach for flatback turtles - a species of sea turtle that only breeds in Australia and is only found in Australia and Papua New Guinea.  

714998804__03A7320flathighres.jpg.b59b4576dc17bd344d196c3bbce100b3.jpg

_03A7691-Edit.jpg.865bbfebbb08b3c014f97bf4d55bce12.jpg

_03A8025-final.jpg.de0b0220decf81c921718e9e83226558.jpg

_03A9104-Edit.jpg.6e15c94da1ae32ddaecade682336df1b.jpg

580606001__03A5688-finalbw-Edit.jpg.8af61c5f84d18b47c3519ec70ffe6cb1.jpg

_03A9139-Edit.jpg.f50024af00f89687ac42060804917397.jpg

56 minutes ago, shazdwn said:

Soukousas tempted as I am to tell you that the name comes from people going bare in the sand, I will admit that yes, the name is pretty self explanatory.

:D

2 hours ago, shazdwn said:

@Soukousas tempted as I am to tell you that the name comes from people going bare in the sand, I will admit that yes, the name is pretty self explanatory.

What a relief. The thought of going there with ones parents if the other applied quite put one off one's breakfast.:blink:

Nice pics.

11 hours ago, Galana said:

What a relief. The thought of going there with ones parents if the other applied quite put one off one's breakfast.:blink:

Nice pics.

Oh I hadn’t thought of that - ick!