Sharon's second time around

shazdwn

158/NT119 - Nankeen (Australian) Kestrel, Broome, Western Australia - 27 Aug 2021

_03A9238-Edit - Copy.jpg

Not an awesome shot but a hard bird to find

159/NT119 - Black-tailed treecreeper, Broome, Western Australia - 29 Aug 2021

_03A2240 - Copy.jpg

Bad hair day...

160/NT119 - Zebra Finch, Broome, Western Australia - 29 Aug 2021

_03A2480 - Copy.jpg

By late afternoon the heat haze was not doing me any favours with this species (well that's the excuse I'm using for the image quality :ph34r:) but a lifer is a lifer right? 

161/NT119 - Flock Bronzewing, Broome, Western Australia - 29 Aug 2021

_03A4051 - Copy.jpg

A heavy crop which is a shame, as this really is a stunning bird

162/NT119 - Black-shouldered Kite, Broome, Western Australia - 29 Aug 2021

2106034965__03A4198-Copy.jpg.700b018d843eec6b44500697b8afc9e1.jpg

1492533177__03A9494-Copy.jpg.c33c218a1190cd571ef983ecf1b04e20.jpg

And that's it for Broome.  

163/NT120 - Crimson Finch, Knuckeys Lagoon Conservation Park, Darwin, NT, Australia - 11/9/2021

_03A7307 - Copy.jpg

A lucky sighting of a real skulker, this is the first time I have managed a photo of this one. 

164/NT121 - White-browed Crake, McMinns Lagoon Conservation Park, Darwin, NT, Australia - 19/9/2021

_03A7789 - Copy.jpg

_03A7955 - Copy.jpg

If there is anything to beat a lucky shot of a skulker it is TWO shots of it. Well done with that.

Bronzewings? Are they a sort of Sand Grouse?

5 hours ago, Galana said:

If there is anything to beat a lucky shot of a skulker it is TWO shots of it. Well done with that.

Bronzewings? Are they a sort of Sand Grouse?

😂😂

Bronzewings are pigeons 

https://ebird.org/species/flobro1

On 9/20/2021 at 12:11 PM, shazdwn said:

Some bonus Peaceful Doves especially for @Kalaharikind

What a great honour - thank you! @michael-ibkdeserves a mention too, I think - he commented on the lovely name. So we'll share, if you don't mind?

6 hours ago, Kalaharikind said:

What a great honour - thank you! @michael-ibkdeserves a mention too, I think - he commented on the lovely name. So we'll share, if you don't mind?

Of course 🤗

gorgeous Yellow Chat, loved seeing them out on the plains, certainly never got that close.  

On 9/19/2021 at 9:53 PM, shazdwn said:

Sorry for the late reply. To be honest I have mixed views. When it’s great, it’s great. BUT I have missed shots because I just can’t get the camera to focus on the right spot, even when using the smallest focus point. For example sometimes if I try and focus on a small bird in the bush and accidentally focus on the twig in front (as you do) it won’t then change the focus when I try again, it just sticks to the first focus plane. There are times I have had to turn to focus on something else and then turn back and try again, by which time the bird is usually gone. I was talking to a friend yesterday and he had experienced the same (which was a bit of a relief as I was wondering if it was just me) and said his 1DX was faster. 

What has your experience been? 

Sorry for the delay, I have been away and out of contact but my findings are exactly that Sharon! My other dislike is the start up time seems to take forever compared to a DSLR which is instantaneous. With hindsight I wish I had held on to my 1DX2 and sold the 5D4 which I kept as a reserve but too late now sadly.

26 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

Sorry for the delay, I have been away and out of contact but my findings are exactly that Sharon! My other dislike is the start up time seems to take forever compared to a DSLR which is instantaneous. With hindsight I wish I had held on to my 1DX2 and sold the 5D4 which I kept as a reserve but too late now sadly.

I never had a 1DX but I'm starting to wish I did.  I still have y 5D4 and use it occassionally, but am persevering with the R5 for now.  I might pull the 5D4 back out for bird photography and see how I feel then.  One thing I do love about the R5 is the silent shutter.  Maybe Canon will bring out a firmware update one day that improves the autofocus? Fingers crossed.  

Hope you had a good trip

So I have realised that I missed a couple from Broome - I took both cameras and these were on the other card.  

165/NT121 - Rufous-throated honeyeater, Cape Leveque, Western Australia - 25 Aug 2021

1E1A4854.jpg

I hated the 1DX and sold it after a fairly short period...the shutter was horrendously noisy ( there wasn't a quiet option on that model). It was embarrassing using it in a crowded hide, especially if it frightened the subject away! The 1DX2 was a huge improvement. I agree the silent shutter on the R5 is fabulous but has two drawbacks...a) you can't limit the number of shots or slow it down and b) you can't use anti-flicker when using that setting either. Not a problem unless you are using artificial lighting...as I was last week!

166/NT121 - Torresian Kingfisher, Cape Leveque, Western Australia - 25 Aug 2021

1E1A4882.jpg

3 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

I hated the 1DX and sold it after a fairly short period...the shutter was horrendously noisy ( there wasn't a quiet option on that model). It was embarrassing using it in a crowded hide, especially if it frightened the subject away! The 1DX2 was a huge improvement. I agree the silent shutter on the R5 is fabulous but has two drawbacks...a) you can't limit the number of shots or slow it down and b) you can't use anti-flicker when using that setting either. Not a problem unless you are using artificial lighting...as I was last week!

I must admit the frame rate on the R5 is ridiculous, and as it is silent I tend to leave my finger down for longer so I end up with so many images.  Still I don't want to slow it down for fear of missing that one decisive moment :D.  I don't tend to use artificial lighting so haven't noticed the anti-flicker issue.  

And now there is the R3...

A distant flyby but a species I'm not likely to get at home so

167/NT121 - Cockatiel, Western Australia - 27 Aug 2021

_03A2776.jpg

Last weekend I did an overnight trip to take part in a couple of Kakadu Bird Week activities.  This scored me a few extra ticks.  

168/NT122 - Buff-sided Robin, Kakadu National Park, Northern Territory, Australia - 25 Sept 2021

_03A8580.jpg

169/NT123 - Azure Kingfisher, Kakadu National Park, Northern Territory, Australia - 25 Sept 2021

_03A9117.jpg

Not quite as showy as the azure, but more sought after by birders as it is MUCH harder to find

170/NT123 - Little Kingfisher, Kakadu National Park, Northern Territory, Australia - 25 Sept 2021

_03A0211.jpg

Peter Connan

Great shot of the Azure!