OK, let's see what turns up - BY 2021

Soukous

I´m enjoying your Scottish trip, congrats on the century and great pictures, my favourite is also the second Corncrake.

42 minutes ago, Galana said:

Go north young man.

A certain farmhouse in Galloway, reserved for the cognoscenti in mid November has 1000s of them in the garden along with 10,000 Barnacle Geese in the next field.

But I've already counted them for this year's BY. Can a photo taken in November be held over for next year? :ph34r:

This next bird took up a lot of my time.

Armed with a good tip, I knew pretty much exactly where to find it, the challenge was waiting around long enough for it to put in an appearance, and then hoping it would be close enough for decent photos.

I was reasonably lucky.

I did see it on my first attempt, but it was quite distant and so I was only able to get a very poor shot using my phone and my telescope.

No problem, I would come back. - I actually came back no less than 4 times.

As I was leaving I met Fred & Elizabeth for the second time in as many days. Well. if you're on North Uist and looking for birds you will inevitably meet the same people, especially as this was the spot where Fred had seen the Phalarope in previous years.

My second visit was a bit more productive and I think I probably sat there for 3 hours, hoping for a great shot. I didn't get it.

nevertheless, as these were my first ever photo sof a Red-necked Phalarope I was happy just to have seen it.

#121 - Red-necked Phalarope - Phalaropus lobatus

North Uist, Scotland. July 2021

It spent a lot of time in among the reeds, which made focusing a challenge, but this was probably the closest I got to it.

Red-necked Phalarope

in a more open space, it was further away

Red-necked Phalarope

Red-necked Phalarope

2 hours ago, Soukous said:

But I've already counted them for this year's BY

Maybe so but will you have counted all 10,000 of others and newer species.

Great Phalarope photos. The low water levels, due lack of rain, did not help get a clear shot but that spot is so reliable it is worth waiting for rain. They ARE there. Take a tip from Elizabeth and take a book.:P

When I get to my BY I hope you don't think I am stalking.

Edited by Galana

I too have never heard of corncrake so thanks for the cracking shots. great shots of the phalarope too in breeding colours. 

On 7/16/2021 at 12:36 PM, Galana said:

Great Phalarope photos.

Thanks, I still have a few more to open up from my 3rd & 4th visits. I'm hoping for better.

3 hours ago, Soukous said:

Thanks, I still have a few more to open up from my 3rd & 4th visits. I'm hoping for better.

Well, the 3rd visit was a bit of a wash out, very grey and rainy.

But the 4th visit was better.

Heavy crops again, but still an improvement

Red-necked Phalarope

Red-necked Phalarope

Red-necked Phalarope

So what have I got left to share from North Uist. Sadly not a lot. My species list is rather meagre.

While searching for Red-throated Divers - which I did not find - I spent a while watching these Common Terns. Already in my list at #93, but that was a poor shot.

Common Tern

Common Tern

Common Tern

I saw a few Hen Harriers, but none really gave me the flypast I wanted, so this will have to do for now.

#122 - Hen Harrier - Circus cyaneus

North Uist, July 2021

Hen Harrier

Hen Harrier

another quick visit to Balranald brought another rendezvous with Mrs & Mrs @Galanaand more Conrcrakes. I actually heard 4 different ones, but the only one I saw was in exactly the same spot as my first, right across from the visitor centre. It was not so accommodating this time.

Corncrake

but as I was walking along trying to find the others, this wee fellow flew onto a fence post

Corn Bunting

#123 - Corn Bunting - Miliaria calandra

North Uist, July 2021

I saw Warblers in abundance, but they were all, I think, Willow Warblers. Nice, but not new.

Willow Warbler

so that's my lot for North Uist

The ferry back to Uig did provide a couple more, but I missed a flyby from an Arctic Skua

#124 - Shag - Phalacrorax aristotelis

Between North Uist & Skye. July 2021

Shag

#125 - Puffin - Fratercula arctica

Between North Uist & Skye. July 2021

Puffin

Edited by Soukous

Glorious weather, and the need to get away from my computer, lured me out for a quick trip to Minsmere.

I was looking for Dartford Warblers, which are usually a sure bet, but I drew a blank.

But I did get a Sandwich Tern.

There were loads of Common Terns flying back from out at sea with fish, but I only saw the Sandwich Terns on their way out, and they flew much higher than the Common Terns

#126 - Sandwich Tern - Sterna sandvicensis

Minsmere, Suffolk. July 2021

Sandwich Tern

Sandwich Tern

Sandwich Tern

Some great photos there to round off your trip north. Good to see the local Council cut some sedges for you to show the Phalaropes clearly. Worthy shot of the elusive Corn Bunting and Corncrakes and your efforts continuing whilst on the ferry is commendable.

Time to book up for 2022. I see your Government have sprinkled a few Bank Holidays right across the birding season so accommodation may get tight very quickly.

Dave Williams

Wow, the Phalarope and the Corncrake, great stuff Martin. 

I see you have just drawn level with me too.!

I would be happy with those phalarope shots, not to mention the corncrake. Congrats on breaking the 100 mark

13 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

I see you have just drawn level with me too.!

Don't worry, that won't last long. B)

Dave Williams
2 hours ago, Soukous said:

Don't worry, that won't last long. B)

it didn't...but where I go from here is a mystery too. No chance of me going abroad this year I don't think so it's a case of mopping up a few more UK birds. I'll be delighted to get to 150.

A quick update on our Little Tern Project.

Just before I went up to Scotland the colony was devastated and lost all the eggs to predation. It is thought that something caused the adults to fly up and the while they were off the nests crows came in an took the eggs.

We think it was crows because they took everything and did not even leave shells behind.

The Little Terns then abandoned the colony. Most flew north to Winterton on Sea where there is another breeding colony. In fact, after the loss of the colony at Eccles and our own colony at Kessingland, the Winterton colony is the only Norfolk Coast/North Suffolk colony to thrive this year.

We still have plenty of Ringed Plovers and our Avocet pair have raised 3 good looking chicks that are now beginning to fly. Very sad about the Terns, but the breeding Avocets are a 'first' for the area so much excitement.

Our 3 youngsters

Avocet Fledglings

just making short flights at the moment

Avocet Fledglings

Avocet Fledgling

Avocet Fledgling

Ringed Plovers like our smelly little lagoon

Ringed Plover

and Sand Martins use our fence for rests in between their hunting sorties

Sand Martin

Very sad about the Little Terns but lifted by the Avocet chicks.

I am not sure about the predator. Any chance dear Mrs Tiggywinkle has egg on her face. We learned about her the hard way. Of course she would not take them all in one go if that is what happened.

11 minutes ago, Galana said:

Any chance dear Mrs Tiggywinkle has egg on her face

I think we'd have needed the entire Tiggwinkle clan to have taken so many eggs. Also, we could not find any breaches in the netting nor footprints from any mammal. 

The site at Benacre, a couple of miles down the coast lost their colony after high tides took out their electric fence and foxes got in.

Shame about the terns, hopefully they will return to try again next year 

4 hours ago, shazdwn said:

Shame about the terns, hopefully they will return to try again next year 

They will (almost) certainly return to this stretch of the East Anglia coast, exactly where they will choose to settle will depend on prevailing weather.

Sad news about the tern colonies! 

19 hours ago, Galana said:

Mrs Tiggywinkle

I had to look that one up, but Google allowed me to hang in with the natives ;)

1 hour ago, PeterHG said:

for those who were not brought up with Beatrix Potter, Mrs Tiggywinkle is a Hedgehog

images.jpg.148231c213cc4943efa585d5afa35ab8.jpg

Dave Williams
On 7/21/2021 at 12:28 PM, PeterHG said:

Peter, You had a deprived childhood being brought up in the Netherlands!! Mind you, I expect children in the UK soon will too, no doubt Beatrix Potter will soon be on the banned reading material list, especially when it's discovered that Tiggy-winkle is a serial killer!!

7 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

especially when it's discovered that Tiggy-winkle is a serial killer!!

As is Mr Brock