OK, let's see what turns up - BY 2021

Soukous

Stunning snow buntings and well done on the Dartford, I'm not sure I would have been that patient

Just now, shazdwn said:

Stunning snow buntings and well done on the Dartford, I'm not sure I would have been that patient

It was a glorious day so I was happy just to wander up & down. 

Great picture of the Dartford Warbler, another bird I have never seen!

10 hours ago, xelas said:

@Soukousa.k.a. The Tongue Of Steel (or were those nerves of steel?!). 

:blink:

7 hours ago, Soukous said:

:blink:

My tongue would definitively be moving ... or bleeding :D.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I'd improve my chances of some new species today by bringing along a much more experienced birder with me for a short tour of our local patch.

It didn't work out as planned and we did not get any of our target species. :(

A couple of new ticks as consolation though

#140 - Grey Plover - Pluvialis squatarola - (heavily cropped)

Holbrook Creek, Suffolk

Grey Plover

Grey Plover

and #141 - Black Swan - Cygnus atratus

River Stour, Mistley, Essex

Black Swan

Edited by Soukous

Dave Williams

Still nice progress though Martin even if you didn't get what you were looking for! Love the Dartford Warbler and it's one of several reasons I'd love to go back to Minsmere and surrounds.

2 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

Love the Dartford Warbler and it's one of several reasons I'd love to go back to Minsmere and surrounds.

I can't explain it, but I spent most of the year searching for a Dartford Warbler at Minsmere. I saw my first one a couple of weeks ago and now they pop up in front of me, when I'm no even looking for them.

Dartford Warbler

Birding Without Borders - Noah Strycker

"Strycker’s hugely entertaining record of his global birdwatching adventure is as much about the people he meets as it is about birds. Kalu, who shows him around Ghana, compares birding to an almost religious experience. “Birds can teach us a lot about the world and our place in it,” he says.

In India, after 259 days, he spotted a Sri Lanka Frogmouth and broke the previous record of 4,341 sightings. By December, Strycker reached a total of 6,042 birds. He had travelled across 41 countries on 7 continents and spent $60,000 on travel and accommodation. But it was worth it: “$10 per bird seemed like a small price to pay”."

I don't think I'll get anywhere close to his total - this year.

12 hours ago, Soukous said:

Birding Without Borders - Noah Strycker

"Strycker’s hugely entertaining record of his global birdwatching adventure is as much about the people he meets as it is about birds. Kalu, who shows him around Ghana, compares birding to an almost religious experience. “Birds can teach us a lot about the world and our place in it,” he says.

In India, after 259 days, he spotted a Sri Lanka Frogmouth and broke the previous record of 4,341 sightings. By December, Strycker reached a total of 6,042 birds. He had travelled across 41 countries on 7 continents and spent $60,000 on travel and accommodation. But it was worth it: “$10 per bird seemed like a small price to pay”."

I don't think I'll get anywhere close to his total - this year.

I enjoyed the book.

• 4 weeks later...

It's been a while since I had anything to post here; not through lack of effort I can assure you. The consensus among birders in coastal Suffolk is that this is a quiet year, with few rarities showing up.

I did manage to find some Twite - well, to be honest someone else had already found them when I happened along, but I was looking for them - but they were only really recognisable using a telescope. No photos.

After too many crappy days weatherwise, we had a corker yesterday. Clear blue skies, sunshine, paddle-boarders out on the sea (it was that flat) and finally a new one for my list.

# 142 - Red-throated Diver - Gavia stellata

Dunwich, Suffolk. Dec 2021

There were actually at least 6 of them at varying distances offshore

Red-throated Diver

One of them proved very successful at fishing too, even though it was quite a mouthful

Red-throated Diver

Red-throated Diver

Red-throated Diver

Red-throated Diver

Other birds poking around in the shingle were Rock Pipits & Skylarks

Rock Pipit

Skylark

Lovely diver and it still managed to swallow that large fish.

41 minutes ago, Kitsafari said:

Lovely diver and it still managed to swallow that large fish.

a lot of juggling, but eventually it succeeded

Good to see that you finally got the Divers. Good action shot too.

21 hours ago, xelas said:

and also nice new watermark

:D I've obviously got too much time on my hands

actually I have had it for a while but I kept forgetting to use it :wacko:

9 hours ago, Galana said:

Good to see that you finally got the Divers. Good action shot too.

next time I hope for breeding plumage, but happy nonetheless

well that's that then.

Covid has put paid to another set of travel plans

We were supposed to be travelling to France for a family Christmas then on to Germany for New Year with the in-laws. 

First France and now Germany have told us we are not welcome. 

another Christmas & New Year at home then. :(  Good for the planet I suppose. 

Well that should make the dogs happy anyway.

Strange that these bans don't seem to work on economic migrants in either country.

13 minutes ago, Galana said:

Strange that these bans don't seem to work on economic migrants in either country.

careful ... :ph34r: