OK, let's see what turns up - BY 2021

Soukous

3 minutes ago, Galana said:

Re the Kestel. Not authentic but it may have just missed. I understand that raptor claws have a bone that 'locks' the claw closed after a strike so it may have to perch and unlock to lose the grass.

I didn't know that. Every day brings new wisdom.

great luck with the Peregrine, in fact great luck chatting to another birder who was in the know, its always worth stopping for a quick friendly chat (if that's allowed of course)

3 hours ago, elefromoz said:

great luck with the Peregrine, in fact great luck chatting to another birder who was in the know

Luck for sure. The bird was so far away that I took the photos without any real expectation of a useable image. Very happy with the result, even if it is only a thumbnail

Tweeting appreciation: bird-watching groups take flight in lockdown

Memberships soar as poll finds two-thirds of UK public sooth Covid anxiety by listening to birdsong

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/jan/29/tweeting-appreciation-bird-watching-groups-take-flight-in-lockdown

1 hour ago, Soukous said:

poll finds two-thirds of UK public sooth Covid anxiety by listening to birdsong

Yes but the only problem is that most Grauniad readers can't tell a Crow from a Corncrake.:o

But you can enjoy birdsong without knowing what bird is singing :)

1 hour ago, Galana said:

most Grauniad readers can't tell a Crow from a Corncrake

that's easy, a Corncake is a biscuit :P

37 minutes ago, TonyQ said:

But you can enjoy birdsong without knowing what bird is singing :)

Yes, listening to the birds is an important aspect of birdwatching. (I use my ears on a bird walk as much as my eyes. 

I can even recognise some of them :wacko:

5 hours ago, Galana said:

Yes but the only problem is that most Grauniad readers can't tell a Crow from a Corncrake.:o

Oh dear, that makes me a double Grauniadian  - I both read it and (hanging head in shame) have never ever heard of a Corncrake before. 

4 hours ago, Kalaharikind said:

have never ever heard of a Corncrake before. 

Well they do occur in RSA but a bit to the east of where you live I think. They are also silent in Africa so you won't have heard the distinctive call that gives it it's latin name Crex crex.

They keep visitors to their European grounds awake but if it was not for their call we would rarely see one.

Here is one I prepared earlier.

1827129565_1-Scotland20171045.JPG.9d23eb1b68dcd5db6b5010fe71c835b7.JPG

6 hours ago, Galana said:

Well they do occur in RSA but a bit to the east of where you live

Thanks Galana - head hanging even lower now :(

4 hours ago, Kalaharikind said:

head hanging even lower now

I do hope not. That was not my intention.

@GalanaO no, my goodness, not at all: I was laughing at myself. 

Note to self: Emojis are there. Use them. 

As forecast, the rain took a break today so time to venture outside.

It looked OK from the warmth of the house but once outside a bitingly cold east wind reminded me that it is still winter.

I did mange a few additions to the list, although none of them are particularly exciting. I'd have had to add them sooner of later, so why not now?

#38 - Rook - Corvus frugilegus

Hollesley Marshes, Suffolk. Jan 2021

Rook

#39 - Magpie - Pica pica

Magpie

#40 - House Sparrow - Passer domesticus

Shingle Street, Suffolk. Jan 2021

House Sparrow

House Sparrow

The wind was pretty brisk and making the water choppy. Added to which the viewing platform at Hollesley Marshes is perfectly positioned expose you to the full force of the wind so I could not stay for long.

4 different species of Goose on the scrape today. I've already logged 2 of them (Greylag & Barnacle) , but happy to add the others

#41 - Brent Goose - Branta bernicla

They were right at the far side of the scrape, so no close ups possible

Brent Geese

Brent Geese

I had planned to experiment with some digiscoping (phone + telescope), but the wind played havoc with the stability and the results were not great

brent-goose.jpg.51fc5470dfceddafca4a56411498a3d3.jpg

These Brent Geese are quite aggressive. They are about half the size of the Greylags, but they were chasing them all over the place.

#42 - European White-fronted Goose - Anser albifrons

These were also at the far side of the scrape and out of range for photos, until a small group took to the air. 7 EWFG plus 2 Barnacle Geese

European White-fronted Geese

And I guess that is it for January. Tomorrow is a new month so let's see what that brings.

A productive but cold walk. l lie the joint flypast of Barnies and WFs.

Magnificent shots of the sparrow!

14 hours ago, xelas said:

@Soukousis that your reflection in ehte House Sparrow's eye ;)?

honestly no idea

37 minutes ago, TonyQ said:

You have done well for January!

If I could achieve that every month it would be quite a year - but that won't happen. Most of the low hanging fruit has been plucked.

Britain's population of wild cranes on the up with 64 breeding pairs

Survey shows bird species that vanished from UK in 17th century is making a successful comeback

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/feb/02/britains-population-of-wild-cranes-on-the-up-with-64-breeding-pairs

On 1/31/2021 at 11:06 PM, Soukous said:

It looked OK from the warmth of the house but once outside a bitingly cold east wind reminded me that it is still winter.

worth it to get 5 newies. Fantastic shots of the Sparrow

Encouraged by a weather forecast that promised a cold but sunny day I ventured out.

I thought I'd take a look at Hollesley Marshes to see if anything interesting had shown up.

It is only a very short distance from home, but by the time I got there a thick fog had descended. :(

I was happy to see that the Peregrine was perched in his usual tree and in a much more open position than last time. But the fog, oh the fog.

I could get a great - albeit pale - view through my scope, but it was not condusive to photographs

-peregrine-scoped.jpg.793febc46ccc6cd17720a8965c925057.jpg

I had hoped that the promised sunshine would chase off the fog but as i walked towards the viewing platform it seemd to be getting worse.

The water was very still and most of the birds were huddling around the shore.

I did get a couple of shots of a distant Shelduck, but nothing to get excited about, except that it is another tick. :rolleyes:

#43 - Shelduck - Tadorna tadorna

Hollesley Marshes, Suffolk. Feb 2021

shelduck1.jpg.176c95f8b12d089603029d5002fbcc39.jpg

shelduck.jpg.de4b1cbccd44798407a99db544e4e0a5.jpg

Not the rewarding morning I had hoped for.

A few hours later the fog had evaporated, but the sky was now grey and promising rain.

A flash of colour by the bird feeder had me scampering for my camera.

#44 - Great Spotted Woodpecker - Dendrocopos major

the garden, Suffolk. Feb 2021

The glass was not as clean as it ought to be.

great-spotted-woodpecker.jpg.0aa4072975ef92b2051960f013dbd62f.jpg

3 hours ago, Tdgraves said:

@Soukous you need to get @xelas round to sort that out for you!

As soon as the travel restrictions allows! I will volunteer on a b&b basis :D.