OK, let's see what turns up - BY 2021

Soukous
18 hours ago, xelas said:

As soon as the travel restrictions allows! I will volunteer on a b&b basis 

You're welcome any time. It only takes a few minutes to erect the guest suite :P

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Soukous

• Galana

• PeterHG

• Kitsafari

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It seems like an age since I last posted here. Family obligations managed to eat up the last part of August and the first 10 days of September. What with a wedding in Germany and then recovering

One of the things that my research did turn up is that Gotland is one of the very best places to see White-tailed Eagles and Golden Eagles. Apparently there are 55 pairs of Golden Eagles and 45 pairs

Anyway, enough of that, time to get back on track with a very stuttering BY.   This next one is definitely a record for me. Not a record I particularly wanted but a record nonetheless.

Posted Images

Soukous

My morning trip to the supermarket turned out to be much longer than expected.

Firstly, not at all what was forecast, the sun was shining and there was no fog today.

Secondly, there had been a report of some Berwick's Swans close by and I worked out a route to the shop that would take me past their supposed location. (Hey! It doesn't say we have to take the most direct route for our shopping)

Sure enough, a small group of 4 Berwick's Swans had taken up temporary residence in a ploughed field beside a field full of pigs.

They were gathered by a what can only be described as a puddle, in the middle of the field, so it was not possible to get close. How they managed to stay white is amazing.

#45 Berwick's Swan - Cygnus colombianus

Suffolk, Feb 2021

Berwick's Swans

Berwick's Swans

Encouraged by this early success (it is not often I find what i am looking for) I decided to wander down the lane a bit.

#46 - Dunnock - Prunella modularis

Suffolk, Feb 2021

I was very happy to see this little chap appear. Dunnocks are frequent visitors to the garden, but they stay close to the base of the hedge, fossicking amongst the leaf litter, and almost always in the shade.

c

Dunnock

Then, I noticed these chaps on top of one of the houses. For such a common bird they manage to look pretty good when the sunlight brings out the colours of their plumage.

#47 - Starling - Sturnus vulgaris

Suffolk, Feb 2021

Starlings

Starlings

My route home then took a quick detour via the river and I was rewarded with this.

#48 - Oystercatcher - Haematopus ostralegus

Martlesham Creek, Suffolk. Feb 2021

Oystercatcher

Oystercatcher

By now I was feeling greedy. I'd got 4 ticks, so why not 5? Even a Pigeon (or Dove) would suffice. and what do you know, there were half a dozen of them sunbathing on a nearby roof.

#49 - Rock Dove - Columba livia

Woodbridge, Suffolk. Feb 2021

Rock Dove

Edited by Soukous
Soukous

The sun is still shining but I ought to get home and deposit the shopping in the fridge. :rolleyes:

OK, done that, and the sun is still shining. Time for a short walk down the lane.

I got very excited for a brief moment when I thought I'd finally manged to snap a Brambling.

But, sadly, for me, it was only a Chaffinch

Chaffinch

but the walk was not a complete waste of time.

#50 - Collared Dove - Streptopelia decaocto

Ufford, Suffolk. Feb 2021

Collared Dove

Collared Dove

#51 - Pheasant - Phasianus colchicus

Pheasant

and there was drama overhead as well, where a Red Kite was being harassed by a pair of Rooks.

Quite high up, but the sky was nice and clear, so worth a shot

Red Kite

Edited by Soukous
PeterHG

Shopping can be so much fun! Some good new ones again and the Bewick's are really beautiful.

Galana

Round of applause.

Are you the first to the half century?

Bewicks on the way to the shops. That will take some beating.

Soukous
14 hours ago, PeterHG said:

the Bewick's are really beautiful.

They are indeed, although it was one time I would have preferred a bit of cloud cover. With the white birds against the dark earth it was hard to avoid blowing the whites

Soukous
12 hours ago, Galana said:

Are you the first to the half century?

I don't think so, @pedro maiais the official score keeper. But if I am then we should stop right now and declare me the winner of BY 2021. :rolleyes:

Galana
1 hour ago, Soukous said:

But if I am then we should stop right now and declare me the winner of BY 2021. 

That is not what is understood as "the great reset".

Sadly for you @elefromoztook the applause for the first half century a few days back but don't give up.:D

Dave Williams

A notable result to get 50+ up already. Well done .

elefromoz

Yep, well done with challenging limitations on movement

Soukous
23 minutes ago, elefromoz said:

Yep, well done with challenging limitations on movement

Gotta make the most of opportunities when they present themselves. 

We're on our 3rd straight day of blizzards now and even trips to the shops are out. 

Soukous

I enjoyed this story...

Squawking bird blows the whistle on fake video trying to tilt Ecuador election

An attempt to influence the Ecuadorian elections with a fake video purportedly showing leftwing guerrillas endorsing one of the candidates was thwarted by a ground-dwelling bird and a keen-eared ornithologist.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/feb/09/ecuador-bird-fake-video-colombian-guerrillas

TonyQ

Well done on reaching 50 - and with one of your favourite birds to achieve this milestone :D

Kitsafari

congrats on the half century - a most notable bird to reach a notable landmark in just over a  month.

PeterHG
1 hour ago, Soukous said:

Squawking bird blows the whistle on fake video trying to tilt Ecuador election

Great story!

Soukous
34 minutes ago, TonyQ said:

Well done on reaching 50 - and with one of your favourite birds to achieve this milestone :D

I had to go and look to see which of my 'favourite birds' you were referring to. 

Soukous

We've had occasional glimpses of blue sky over the past 4 days, but mostly it has been very grey with blizzards of snow.

We don't get a lot of snow in our part of England, so to start with it was quite fun, but the novelty soon wore off as we had to scrape the drive clear every morning and then negotiate an icy lane.

By midday it looked as though we might have seen the last of it so I thought I'd take a quick look at Hollesley Marshes.

It looks as though I was the first visitor of the day as the access road was under snow.

The scrape was frozen, with not a lot of birds really. The gulls were sitting miserably on the ice, the geese were either on the shore or in the few small unfrozen bits.

Hollesley Marshes

With not much action there I walked down to the estaury

Simpsons Saltings

Not a complete waste of time though as there were a few Meadow Pipits nipping across the snow from one tuft of grass to another, looking for food.

#52 - Meadow Pipit - Anthus pratensis

Hollesley Marshes, Suffolk. Feb 2021

Meadow Pipit

Meadow Pipit

Meadow Pipit

and now it started snowing again

Meadow Pipit

A few Teals and Wigeon on the estuary and some Dunlins poking around the shoreline

Dunlins

Dunlins

A lot of honking overhead told me the geese had decided it was time to find somewhere that wasn't frozen.

I didn't take a lot of interest until I heard a different call overhead. In among the Greylag and Canada Geese were a couple of Bean Geese  White Fronted Geese. By the time I'd located them they were had already passed me, but they are still recognisable. Already counted.

bean-gooses.jpg.057aabdeae2dd5b26963ccf96e5d7f4a.jpg

bean-goose.jpg.f487b0f1eb0a79915e1ffc49e572e9ea.jpg

Edited by Soukous
Soukous

A quick visit back to the viewing platform on my way out, just in case.

I was in luck, a female Marsh Harrier came over the reed beds. She didn't seem to be hunting, just flying past. Pretty crappy light, but I'll take it. :rolleyes:

#53 - Marsh Harrier - Circus aeruginosus

Marsh Harrier

Marsh Harrier

No Peregrine Falcon to be seen this time.

Edited by Soukous
Galana
15 minutes ago, Soukous said:

The most frequent of the Bean Geese we see here are Tundra, so that's how I'll list them.

That may well be but it is more accurate to list them as Greater Whitefronted Geese.

Soukous
Just now, Galana said:

That may well be but it is more accurate to list them as Greater Whitefronted Geese.

Oh balls! :wacko: My bad.

Galana

PS. Nice Marsh Harrier.

elefromoz

Jeepers that looks cold! The last photo of the Meadow Pipit is so pretty.. 

Soukous
Just now, elefromoz said:

Jeepers that looks cold! The last photo of the Meadow Pipit is so pretty.. 

'twas cold, but no wind, so easily bearable. 

Minus 21 in parts of Scotland last night. I think we had about minus 5. No problem when you've got a good duvet(duna)

Soukous

Britain's endangered willow tit needs vast area to thrive, research finds

The willow tit, one of Britain’s smallest and most endangered birds, requires a surprisingly large area of wild land to thrive, according to research.

Less than 3,000 pairs of the bird survive, mainly on brownfield sites in former coal mining areas, making it the fastest declining resident species, with numbers plummeting by 94% since 1970.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/feb/11/britains-endangered-willow-tit-needs-vast-area-to-thrive-research-finds

Soukous

It looks as though we've had the last of our blizzards. Clear skies today and -1 Celcius. 

Perfect weather for sitting in the conservatory and reading. Sun through the glass lets me pretend I am somewhere much warmer.

Even with a good book it is hard to maintain concentration as I must keep looking up to see if anything interesting has landed in the trees or is at the feeders.

I had just about given up hope of seeing a Redwing this year as - together with the Fieldfares - they have stripped most of the berries. But there was something on that tree.

#54 - Redwing - Turdus iliacus

Redwing

not a brilliant shot, but as it is the first time I've managed to photograph a Redwing I shan't complain.

Then, while I was sitting there hoping the Redwing might come back this fellow came for a look at the feeders. 

#55 - Jay - Garrulus glandarius

Jay

as usual he/she didn't stay for long, probably scared off by the noise of my camera