OK, let's see what turns up - BY 2021

Soukous

well, it was far too nice a day to stay inside, so another walk was called for.

But, when you've just nabbed 2 different Owls in flight everything else seems a bit tame, until you see 3 Buzzards overhead. :D 

I heard them before I saw them and I guess that Junior was being given some flying lessons, judging by the noise.

Unfortunately they were almost directly overhead and then fly away, but even so.

Common Buzzards

Common Buzzards

apart from that, nothing very exciting, although the light was wonderful for some stock shots

Common Redshank

Common redshank

Wigeon

Wigeon

Teal

Teal

Teal

Teal

and an Oystercatcher taking a bath

Oystercatcher bathing

and a Little Egret

Little Egret

Little Egret

Interesting day out x 2 with some lovely shots.

Sadly I must suggest that both your Owls are Short-eared. There may well have been a Barnie around at first but your captures are SE.

Wow, how cool, what a great Owl sighting! Love the story about the Babbler - fabulous!

16 hours ago, Galana said:

Interesting day out x 2 with some lovely shots.

Sadly I must suggest that both your Owls are Short-eared. There may well have been a Barnie around at first but your captures are SE.

Oh poo! Go on then, rain on my parade. :(

3 minutes ago, Soukous said:

Go on then, rain on my parade. 

I do it with a heavy heart and even two Short-eared Owls are a good find. A bird in the hand as it were for those you will see in North Uist later.

As a guide the under wings of SE Owl have that distinctive Carpal patch and Barnies are pure white below..

4 minutes ago, Galana said:

I do it with a heavy heart and even two Short-eared Owls are a good find. A bird in the hand as it were for those you will see in North Uist later.

As a guide the under wings of SE Owl have that distinctive Carpal patch and Barnies are pure white below..

I'm not too bad at spotting them, I'm OK at getting a photograph, now I just need to work on identifying them :wacko:

The Highways Agency found over 200 dead crows on the M4 near Bridgend recently, and there was concern that they may have died from Avian Flu. A Pathologist examined the remains of all the crows, and, to everyone's relief, confirmed the problem was NOT Avian Flu. The cause of death appeared to be from vehicular impacts. However, during analysis it was noted that varying colours of paints appeared on the ...bird's beaks and claws. By analysing these paint residues it was found that 98% of the crows had been killed by impact with lorrys, while only 2% were killed by cars.

The Agency then hired an Ornithological Behaviourist to determine if there was a cause for the disproportionate percentages of truck kills versus car kills. The Ornithological Behaviourist quickly concluded that when crows eat road kill, they always have a look-out crow to warn of danger. They discovered that while all the lookout crows could shout "Cah", not a single one could shout "Lorry"

😂😂😂😂😂

Darwin at work again. Interesting to note this was in Glamorganshire and presumably the welsh accent helped with 'Cah' whereas in most posh neighbourhoods it would be "Caw" and easily mistaken for 'Cor'! The fatalities would then be worse in the South East of England.

Similarly in the north of England the word "truck!" is more common and phonetically similar to other warning calls of imminent mishap.

Nice one Martin.

:blink: well, i fell for it until the end. Caw. 

hrmph. 

Dave Williams
On 2/25/2021 at 9:37 AM, Soukous said:

Yes, and I am sure it is not the only one hiding in the rainforest

You mean they still haven't heard the war is over??!!

Building the numbers nicely Martin.

It's definitely getting warmer. Sunshine today, and no wind, which is good as the birds are more willing to come out from the shelter of the reeds.

#64 - Pintail - Anas acuta

North Warren, Aldeburgh, Suffolk. March 2021

To my mind, one of the most elegant ducks. I was very pleased to see them as (a) I had come looking for them and (b) the past 3 times I had tried they were nowhere to be seen.

Pintail

Pintail

#65 - Gadwall - Mareca strepera

Gadwall (m)

and a pair

Pintail

sadly, these were the only 2 new species I found and the other 2 sites I walked around turned up a big fat zero.

Edited by Soukous

Ah! Pintail. The greyhound of the duck world. Never seen one here.

17 hours ago, Soukous said:

It's definitely getting warmer. Sunshine today, and no wind

well that didn't last long. rain & wind today. Just goes to show that we must seize those moments when we have the chance.

On 3/9/2021 at 10:29 PM, Soukous said:

#64 - Pintail - Anas acuta

To my mind, one of the most elegant ducks.

Id have to agree, but you do have some real nice ducks and geese over your half of the world.

Kalaharikind

The Pintail is a beauty of a duck and of a shot!

Very good news

French glue-trapping of birds not allowed, says EU court

The controversial practice of trapping birds on glue-covered twigs cannot be allowed even as a tradition, the European Court of Justice has ruled.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-56426707

michael-ibk

Was delighted to hear that as well, such a barbarism!

It is always frustrating to go out in search of birds to photograph and come back with nothing; which is what happened the previous 2 days. Marginally better is to come back with just 1 newbie.

After hanging around the house most of the day waiting for various trademen and repair people, there was still an hour go decent light left; enough to make a quick trip out.

A couple of weeks ago, when I was searching for Crossbills (which I did not find) I did see a good number of Coal Tits. This was welcome news as we do not get them in our garden very often due to a high number of Great Tits and Blue Tits.

So, with limited time, I thought I would see if I could find them again. Usually when I am looking for a specific species I fail, but today was an exception. Yippee!

#66 - Coal Tit - Pariparus ater

Sutton Common, Woodbridge, Suffolk. March 2021

Coal Tit

Coal Tit

Coal Tit

Coal Tit

Coal Tit

The only other bird I managed a photo of was this one, so I'd be very happy to learn what it is :D

tba.jpg.d5e87e6cc7a53c3f731c0f3803b21416.jpg

tba1.jpg.c25264e79ebc90f6406bd0d102682242.jpg

Edited by Soukous

Dave Williams

Funny isn't it, we have Coal Tits in the garden all day every day! 

The other bird is a female Chaffinch.

57 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

Twice.

14 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

thanks

One more on this morning's dog walk.

They didn't come very close - or I should say, wouldn't let me get very close - but a tick is a tick (no not that kind of tick Fred)

#67 - Yellowhammer - Emberiza citrinella

Sutton Common, Woodbridge, Suffolk. March 2021

Yellowhammer

Yellowhammer

Yellowhammer

Edited by Soukous