OK, let's see what turns up - BY 2021

Soukous

love that last photo of the yellowhammer, but what a name for a tiny bird?!

One more to add to my total, which creeps imperceptibly upwards.

The dogs got 2 walks today, although trying to take photos whilst holding 2 dogs on a leash is not recommended.

I missed these 2 on my first walk past, when they would have been much closer. I only noticed them as they disappeared behind a small island.

They did not reappear for quite a while and when they did they were much farther away. Not great photos, heavily cropped, but they will do for now.

#68 - Garganey - Anas querquedula

Wantisden, Suffolk. March 2021

Mrs

Garganey f

and Mr

Garganey m

Gosh. That is a lucky find so early in the year.

We used to call them 'the summer duck" in my youth as that was when they arrived.

1 hour ago, Galana said:

Gosh. That is a lucky find so early in the year.

We used to call them 'the summer duck" in my youth as that was when they arrived.

there have been a few (small number) sightings in the area, even though most other spring/summer visitors have not arrived yet. Although I did see 2 pairs of Ringed Plovers on Sunday.

1 hour ago, Galana said:

In Dutch it is called Zomertaling (Summer Teal). 

3 hours ago, PeterHG said:

In Dutch it is called Zomertaling (Summer Teal). 

There is a lot of commonality in language between Dutch and Northern English.

11 hours ago, Galana said:

There is a lot of commonality in language between Dutch and Northern English.

Eee by heck lad, you could be right :ph34r:

6 hours ago, Soukous said:

Eee by heck lad, you could be right

Well not quite. Us ud be reet.

Seriously, say 'Owdo' to a Dutchman when you get the chance.

As mentioned a couple of days ago, I did see some Ringed Plovers whilst on my Sunday morning stroll; so I thought I'd see if they were still there and posing for photos.

Well, there was a pair in almost the exact same spot as on Sunday, but they were pretty skittish. I got a quick shot before they flew off and even though I sat on the shingle freezing my bum for another half hour they did not come back. 

I'm sure I'll get more opportunities during the summer - as it looks as though I won't be doing any overseas travel. :(

#69 - (Common) Ringed Plover - Charadrius hiaticula

Shingle Street, Suffolk. March 2021

Ringed Plover

I also got a Mr Reed Bunting to go with my Mrs (#17)

Once again, I should see plenty more of these during Spring & Summer.

Reed Bunting m

and a nice confiding Turnstone (#5)

There were about a dozen of them. They are always less prone to fly away than other shorebirds - in our area at least.

Ruddy Turnstone

On 3/24/2021 at 3:58 PM, Galana said:

Seriously, say 'Owdo' to a Dutchman when you get the chance.

As long as you'll limit yourself to the southern half of the country, you'll even get a reply...;)

Giant sandcastle built to bring sand martins home to roost in Surrey

Conservationists build 400-tonne structure to tempt migrating birds back to nature reserve after 25 years

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/mar/27/giant-sandcastle-sand-martins-surrey-nature-reserve

It would have been cheaper to buy anyone who wants to see them a bus ticket to Suffolk.:ph34r:

Sand in your eye.  Great name. Says it all really. Does each hole come with an NHBC warranty?

https://www.nhbc.co.uk/    In this case Nest Hole Building Competence.

Edited by Galana

Dave Williams

They built an artificial bank of sand for the Martins in our local reserve but added too much cement to firm it up and consequently the birds couldn't make nests in it, likewise they destroyed several acres of ground cover to plough it over for Lapwings which tempted in precisely zero nests despite the birds being always on site. it's not easy. Our Owl box is still empty.

5 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

They built an artificial bank of sand for the Martins in our local reserve but added too much cement to firm it up and consequently the birds couldn't make nests in it, likewise they destroyed several acres of ground cover to plough it over for Lapwings which tempted in precisely zero nests despite the birds being always on site. it's not easy. Our Owl box is still empty.

I walked along the beach at Covehithe recently, which has sandstone 'cliffs' that are a favourite for Sand Martins. The erosion has been serious enough to have removed all of last year's nest holes. Quite alarming really.

To coincide with our new freedom, the sun came out today - and so, it seems, did every man and his dog and the rest of the family.

Although it was wonderful to wander about in the sunshine I didn't find any of the birds I was looking for. :(

I did see a Great Crested Grebe - just one - but he refused to come close enough for a decent shot - so I took lots of crappy ones. I wasn't happy with them to start with and having just looked at @michael-ibklatest batch I feel a bit bashful even posting them.

#70 - Great Crested Grebe - Podiceps cristatus

East Lane, Bawdsey, Suffolk. March 2021

gcg5.jpg.2b33f5df697135dad96028c951d53baa.jpg

gcg6.jpg.7780cd2e22357cb8c65703b85c5f3380.jpg

gcg1.jpg.12d0aaa97ee03296da3fcb5daa52807e.jpg

crappy shots #2

Every time I tried to get closer this Linnet flew away.

#71 - Linnet - Carduelis cannabina

East Lane, Bawdsey, Suffolk. March 2021

linnet-f.jpg.3648babab866c23547c413f645832f4c.jpg

I'm not overly bothered about the Grebe or the Linnet as I should see plenty of them over the Summer.

The next bird was much more cooperative though

Our noisiest Warbler is back

#72 - Chifchaff - Phylloscopus collybita

Wantisden, Suffolk. March 2021

Chiffchaff

Chiffchaff

Chiffchaff

Boyntone Marshes, a small RSPB reserve, seems to be a favourite spot for geese, but not the ones I wanted, and also for Curlews - the last two times I've been there have been about 20 of them gathered there.

It's also quite a good spot for Avocets

Avocets

Edited by Soukous

Nothing wrong there Martin. Always remember EBC.

michael-ibk
9 hours ago, Soukous said:

I wasn't happy with them to start with and having just looked at @michael-ibklatest batch I feel a bit bashful even posting them.

Totally get that my terrific Hawfinch is intimidating.:P

Lovely Chiffchaff. Back here as well, but so far all refused to pose to my satisfaction.:)

Edited by michael-ibk

A beautiful Chiffchaff. We heard a few today and had a few distant partial views but no photos yet. But a real pleasure to hear them, and to see your photos.

such beautiful Avocets

Beautiful Chiffchaf ... however it should be #72 (as "crappy" Linnet is #71).

13 hours ago, xelas said:

Beautiful Chiffchaf ... however it should be #72 (as "crappy" Linnet is #71).

Hvala. but remember, I am the only one allowed to call my photos crappy :P

Martin, you called it crappy I called it "crappy" :P!

4 hours ago, xelas said:

Martin, you called it crappy I called it "crappy" :P!

Actually I thought it rather good.:blink:

The wind dropped a bit today so time to take a break from house refurbishment.

I headed down to Alton Water where some Slavonian Grebes have been seen for the past couple of days.

I was not the only one. Everyone I met was looking for them; but they were no longer there.

I did spot this duck though. I was rather surprised that no-one else showed any interest in it at all as I'd not seen one before and, upon checking my book, it seems that it is quite a rare vagrant. 

#73 - Redhead - Aythya americana

Alton Water, Suffolk. April 2021

Oops, it may be a Pochard, which is not nearly as rare. 

#73 - Pochard - Aythya ferina

Redhead

Redhead

I also saw this Wagtail. Not the first I've seen but the first I've managed to photograph this year.

I'm calling it a Pied Wagtail. No doubt I'll be corrected if I am wrong :rolleyes:

#74 - Pied Wagtail - Motacilla alba

Alton Water, Suffolk. April 2021

Pied Wagtail

Sadly there was not much else to see, although I did get some improvements on #71

Great Crested Grebe

Great Crested Grebe

and a juvenile

Great Crested Grebe - Juvenile

Edited by Soukous

That's a good enough Pied Wagtail for me. Nice Pochard.:lol: