PeterHG’s sixth. Wherever it may take us.

PeterHG

Ok, let's make a start. New year, new chances and hopefully we'll be able to visit new locations or revisit old ones. As winter is still here, that also goes for the Bewick Swans, so I thought I'd better go and find some before they're off again.

01 / NL 01 (Notice how hopeful I am...;)) Bewick's Swan. Arkemheen, January 1. I know in the second photo there are some other birds in the background, but they'll have to wait...

i-rmq9QMh-XL.jpg

i-pVw8vk6-XL.jpg

Today we had some very unexpected visitors in our garden. Three Goldfinches were feeding on the remnants of the Rudbeckia flowers. We only have a tiny garden and we had never seen one here before. I even managed to silently and slowly open the backdoor to get some shots.

02 / NL 02. European Goldfinch. Amersfoort, January 4

i-CWSTrWG-XL.jpg

Edited by PeterHG

Lovely start with the Goldfinches! Have never seen Bewick´s Swan.

A good start. I need both of those for my list but am only hopeful of the Goldfinch.

Gorgeous goldfinch shot. Off to a great start. 

stunning goldfinch - they're so pretty and i wish we had them here. 

6 hours ago, Kitsafari said:

stunning goldfinch - they're so pretty and i wish we had them here. 

:D - you've said the same thing a few years ago Kit. You'll have to come to Europe (when it is safe) and see them.

1 hour ago, Soukous said:

:D - you've said the same thing a few years ago Kit. You'll have to come to Europe (when it is safe) and see them.

Or come to Australia - there are feral populations in south-east Aus

7 minutes ago, shazdwn said:

Or come to Australia - there are feral populations in south-east Aus

Of Goldfinches, or just in general? :P

42 minutes ago, Soukous said:

or just in general? 

Shhhh!:lol:

@Soukous it's all Africa's fault. we keep returning there but we must go to the UK to see the puffins and the English robins too. when boris gets his act together. 

but then again, australia is closer.... @shazdwn

16 minutes ago, Kitsafari said:

when boris gets his act together. 

Don't hold your breath

1 hour ago, Soukous said:

Don't hold your breath

While the idiot population ignore all advice and descend on beauty spots miles from home, while the so called "Celebs" (I have a different word) have parties or exotic holidays over Christmas and happily go to 'work' the day after they return without Quarantine. The Government, any Government short of authoritarian, can only make the rules. It is up to the population to comply.

Edited by Galana
Rant over.

The political aftermath of a simple Goldfinch sighting. This is going to be a great year! :D

Today was one of those dark grey winter days, so a perfect time to go outside and find some light in bird sightings. Some 7 Redpolls had been spotted near here, so I went for a short drive and walk to look for them. I only found one, but that was enough. Even better, it turned out to be a Lesser Redpoll, which is a lifer for me. Too many branches for a clear photo, but my day brightened up considerably.

03 / NL 03. Lesser Redpoll. Arkemheen, 5/1

i-jhWZRVk-XL.jpg

04 / NL 04. Great Egret. Arkemheen 5/1. You can't miss them in winter. 

i-JMLkg2L-X2.jpg

05 / NL 05. Common Goldeneye. Arkemheen 5/1. One male was present near the dam and ventured quite close. I had to crank up the iso in all shots, but not troo bad for these conditions.

i-PCfRhDF-XL.jpg

19 hours ago, Soukous said:

Of Goldfinches, or just in general? :P

Both :lol:

A lifer that early in the year - very cool, congrats! 

Thank you @shazdwnand @michael-ibk

Let's get a few others out of the way....;)

06 / NL 06. House Sparrow. Amersfoort 6/1. We've still got plenty of them in our garden, though the overall number of House Sparrows seems to be declining.

i-sZHdJdR-X2.jpg

07 / NL 07. Common Pheasant. Amersfoort, 6/1

i-5rtw5Sh-XL.jpg

08 / NL 08. Mute Swan. Arkemheen, 5/1 . Very common in both summer and winter.

i-w9SDz56-X2.jpg

Such a sweet little Goldfinch, what luck with the Redpoll, may that luck continue

Really nice close up of the Goldeneye, Peter.

Dave Williams

You have set the bar again Peter. Quality images!