PeterHG’s sixth. Wherever it may take us.

PeterHG

Good to see the two Pipits in close proximity so we can ascertain the differences.

Nice collection.

Thank you @xelas, @michael-ibk, @Galana

A few more from the trip to the north.

119/ NL 119. Western Marsh Harrier. Groningen, 21/4

i-NL8pjLC-XL.jpg

From the car I saw a small falcon hunt low over the fields. After an apparently unsuccessful hunt it landed on a sandy patch quite far away. I tried to take some photos, both with and without the converter, but the results were hazy. I do know the heat haze phenomenon, which makes it almost impossible to photograph a distant subject, but it was quite cold that day. The shallow pools of water between me and the falcon may have had a different temperature form the field and that could still cause this haze, I presume. Anyway, this whole rant is just an excuse I did not manage a better shot :). I was quite happy with the sighting, though!

120 /NL 120. Merlin. Groningen, 21/4

i-qFJZRfx-L.jpg

From our cottage we went even further north, to the Lauwersmeer area (where the Merlin shot was taken, too.) This can be a good destination for migrants and red birds, but the wind was even stronger that day, so the species count was rather low. Well, with the Merlin already in the bag, we didn't complain and there were some more surprises. Cattle Egrets. Already counted this year. A rare bird in our country, but this time there were even five of them. 

i-cCrDhRx-X2.jpg

i-55wFMRX-XL.jpg

And the other surprise:

121 /NL 121. Ring Ousel. Groningen, 21/4 Also distant but there's no mistaking this thrush.

i-PnLX5kp-L.jpg

122 /NL 122. Sand Martin. Groningen, 21/4

i-MmX77wL-XL.jpg

Back in the area, where our cottage was located we managed to find this duck. Through the telescope, but good enough for a shot.

123 /NL 123. Ruddy Duck. Groningen, 22/4

i-CXgqLp9-L.jpg

On our last day we packed our things and visited the local area once more. We found a little group of these crows not far from the road.

124 /NL 124. Rook. Groningen 23/4

i-FjwPGcK-XL.jpg

We had heard that Stilts had been sighted in some pools along one of the dirt roads in the area. Cars were not allowed to go there, so we parked it along the nearby tar road and walked for about 20 minutes. It felt a little unsafe, leaving the cars with bicycles and all our luggage unattended, but it looked like a very quite area. And the walk paid off. There were two of them, not too far from the road and we got brilliant views. There are about 20 breeding pairs in the Netherlands, so it's always special to find them.

125 /NL 125. Black-winged Stilt. Groningen, 23/4

i-SSwC5VH-X2.jpg

Peter Connan

Wow Peter! Stunning shots throughout!

I can see that birds are keeping you busy, Peter! Some excellent new additions. 

michael-ibk

Beautiful Peter! The Ruddy would be a lifer for me.

Dave Williams

The Ruddy Duck should be re-named Lucky Duck! Can't be many left now.

You have some enviable sightings Peter. Merlin is my No1 target for this year and so far it looks like it will be for next year too!

The breeding plumage Spotted Redshank is something I have only caught a glimpse of and never photographed..that was quite a capture as are all your shots. You are building up nicely!

The Merlin was a great find. Seen and located is what it is all about. Ring Ousels too. I am looking out for our few in passage.

Great BIF with Sand Martin a winner.

Thank you all!

To finish up the trip, on  our way back home we visited a hide in the province of Drente, still the northern parts of our country. The hide (a covered viewing tower really) is approached by a 160 metres long tunnel.

i-27sW35Z-L.jpg

It is one of the few places to see Red-necked Grebes. There are only some 15 breeding pairs in the whole country and at least two of them can be observed here. Mostly quite distant, but tofay we did get some good views.

126 / NL 126. Red-necked Grebe. Drente 23/4

i-BtXtNd5-XL.jpg

i-6wgQFvt-XL.jpg

When we walked back to the car we spoted yet another addition.

127 / NL 127. Western Yellow (Blue-headed) Wagtail. Drente, 23/4

i-4CsfP6x-XL.jpg

Back at my local patch I noticed that the Terns had returned.

128 /NL 128. Common Tern. Arkemheen, 26/4

i-44n6mfw-X2.jpg

somehow that big blue bill on the ruddy duck look so appealing on a duck with a short tail 

excellent additions and what a shot of the grebes

As had the Sedge Warblers

129 /NL 129. Sedge Warbler. Arkemheen, 26/4

i-nNDztg9-XL.jpg

i-w56SQVW-XL.jpg

130 /NL 130. Common Whitethroat. Arkemheen, 28/4

i-7vgpXSG-X2.jpg

131 /NL 131. Common Linnet. Arkemheen, 28/4. In its beautiful spring colours.

i-Kj6jFdF-XL.jpg

I just stood at a quiet spot with some bushes for over an hour early that morning and Sedge Warbler, Whitethroat, Bluethroat, Linnets all presented themselves. And I even got a brief visit of another little migrant:

132 /NL 132. Whinchat. Arkemheen, 28/4

i-jHFDfJT-X2.jpg

When I walked back to the car with more or less frozen hands, there were two more surprises:

133 /NL 133. Red-crested Pochard. Arkemheen, 28/4. Quite close to the edge of the water.

i-h5vrWDh-X2.jpg

i-ZwFgFNn-X2.jpg

The other surprise was one I already included, but I wasn't about to pass up an opportunity like this. An extremely fruitful morning and well worth the cold!

Northern Wheatear (male)

i-6bKzTbT-X2.jpg