PeterHG’s sixth. Wherever it may take us.

PeterHG

Your hands might be frozen but your delightful birds surely warms our hearts, Peter!

A greatly successful outing. Like the Sedge warbler in flight and Whinchat.

Epic Red-necked Grebes. Yet to see any.

Edited by Galana

Red-necked Grebe, Red-crested Pochard and a Sedge Warbler in flight.  I could do with an outing like that.

michael-ibk

Beautiful, especially like the Wheatear!

19 hours ago, PeterHG said:

I just stood at a quiet spot with some bushes for over an hour early that morning and Sedge Warbler, Whitethroat, Bluethroat, Linnets all presented themselves.

Mmm, that must be what I am doing wrong!  Mind you, if I stood for over an hour in one place at my local reserve, I would have a constant stream of dog walkers asking me if I was alright :wacko:  Even though it is a nature reserve, people actually looking at the nature are definitely in the minority!!

Peter Connan

The standard of photography throughout this thread is humbling Peter! Wow.

Dave Williams
15 hours ago, Peter Connan said:

Certainly is!

Dave Williams
On 4/30/2021 at 11:58 AM, Zim Girl said:

Mmm, that must be what I am doing wrong!  Mind you, if I stood for over an hour in one place at my local reserve, I would have a constant stream of dog walkers asking me if I was alright :wacko:  Even though it is a nature reserve, people actually looking at the nature are definitely in the minority!!

By far the biggest number of people visiting our local RSPB reserve do so purely to allow the children access to the play area whilst the parents have a chat. They have little interest in the birds and although access to the play area and cafe is free you are supposed to either pay or be a member to walk around the reserve. Sadly it isn't checked and the few that venture further in to the reserve allow their children to run off the paths and make a lot of noise in what they see as an adventure playground. Rant over!! At least dogs are banned!!

6 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

By far the biggest number of people visiting our local RSPB reserve do so purely to allow the children access to the play area whilst the parents have a chat. They have little interest in the birds and although access to the play area and cafe is free you are supposed to either pay or be a member to walk around the reserve. Sadly it isn't checked and the few that venture further in to the reserve allow their children to run off the paths and make a lot of noise in what they see as an adventure playground. Rant over!! At least dogs are banned!!

That occurs at a number of reserves. Not just RSPB

And even banning the dogs does not stop them bringing them because they don't apply to ALL dogs. Just other peoples'.

Thank you all for the kind comments!

On 5/2/2021 at 8:34 PM, Peter Connan said:

Thank you Peter, I do feel that is too much credit, though. Your own contributions (as wel as those from many others) have been quite inspirational for me, too! As I am retired I do have more time to go out with the camera ;)

Sad to hear about the disturbances in the RSPB reserves. We do not have many reserves that require a permit; most of them are open to the public. Although dogs are sometimes allowed (nearly always on a leash), many owners don't care much about those restrictions and let them run feely through bushes. Sometimes they are fined and that often leads to heated discussions with the park rangers. My quiet spot where I photographed the Whinchat, Whitethroat and others was quiet mainly due to the fact that I was there quite early.

We visited some friends in another part of the country, which gave me the opportunity to do a little twitch. In a wetland reserve a rare duck had been sighted. As the weather was quite bad, I did not expect a crowd and I was right. Only three othet people there and I did find the duck albeit very distant, probably some 400 metres away. An extreme crop, but I got it and it was a lifer!

134 /NL 134. Baikal Teal. Zevenhoven 30/4

i-RqGd4CZ-L.jpg

Back at my local patch I ventured another early morning walk. Contrary to the forecast it was grey and very cold. But I did get an addition:

135 /NL 135. Reed Warbler. Arkemheen, 3/5

i-t84xnZp-XL.jpg

Surprisingly enough there was also a Fieldfare hanging about. I'll hopefully get a better one somewhere in November, but let's deal with it now.

136 /NL 136. Fieldfare. Arkemheen, 3/5

i-Cx2HfdF-L.jpg

And a duplicate, but at least a better shot. Savi's Warbler.

i-q8BfXqD-XL.jpg

Continuing strong, and even helped by foreigners! 

An epic shot of the Teal and probably a Lifer for Big Year as well as you.

A lovely Reed Warbler too.

Last night I decided to try and add the Swift to the count. Still cold but apparently insects enough in the air for them to catch a meal. This about the only bird where a flight shot is really the only option of photographing them.

137 / NL 137. Common Swift. Arkemheen, 5/5

i-PV5PkQV-XL.jpg

i-83c5CXK-X2.jpg

Excellent Study of the Swift.

Kitsafari

Brilliant shot of the swift - you make it seem like it flew by just a few feet in front of you!

I have said this before, but your bird in flight pictures are incredible!

Peter Connan
4 hours ago, Zim Girl said:

I have said this before, but your bird in flight pictures are incredible!

Indeed! Stunning close-ups.

michael-ibk

Super-cool Swift! Do you know where the Baikal Teal came from? Never even heard about that one. Quite a long way from Siberia. :)

Thanks for the kind words, @Galana, @Kitsafari @Peter Connan, @Zim Girl, @michael-ibk! I just can't resist the challenge of flight shots...;)

19 hours ago, michael-ibk said:

Do you know where the Baikal Teal came from?

Apparently they breed in north and east Siberia and usually migrate to Japan and Korea. They are known to be long-distant migrants. Occasionally one wanders off to Europe and in  our country there have been 13 accepted instances. This bird (although it does not appear to be ringed) will still have to be approved by the Dutch Vagrant Committee. If it is judged to be an escape I will have to subtract one from the count, but for now it is too good to pass up :)

Edited by PeterHG

A few from the last couple of days:

138 / NL 138. Common Cuckoo. Arkemheen, 7/5. Nothing like Dave's brilliant shot, but I bagged it.

i-2qZBMZp-XL.jpg