Michael´s Sixth Year

michael-ibk

Never thought I would see an EBC-lookalike in this thread, but you were so close to a perfect EBC!

glad to hear you're improving. Rest more. the back is so important.  

Well done with the Wallcreeper!

That place in Portugal looks very good

Good luck with the back recovery. I agree, the Portugal place looks great, one to bookmark.

Love your Wallcreeper! I've only ever caught a brief glimpse of one, many years ago. I'm glad your back is on the mend and I agree on your Portugal location: superb!

Dave Williams
On 6/7/2021 at 1:19 PM, Soukous said:

Maybe you & @Dave Williamswould like to halves on this Michael? :ph34r:

Only 20 Canon EF 1200mm f/5.6L USMs were made – and an ultra-rare sample of this $100,000 lens is coming up for sale!

https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/news/ultra-rare-dollar100000-canon-ef-1200mm-lens-going-up-for-sale?utm_campaign=socialflow&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_content=dcw&utm_medium=social

I'm waiting for the new RF mount model!

Dave Williams
On 6/12/2021 at 9:04 AM, michael-ibk said:

Funny that you would think of us as Eastern Europe Dave - we very much identify as "Middle Europeans". But I guess for you guys over there everybody else is an Eastern European. ;)

Must admit I have never thought about a Middle Europe....is that the land of the Hobbits!!!!. Just "Googled to see where's included !!

michael-ibk

187/E187.) Eurasian Reed Warbler (Acrocephalus scirpaceus) / Teichrohrsänger

Tiebelmündung/Carinthia, 10/7/21. Easy to know they are there but far harder to see them - terrible skulkers.

Tiebelmündung_13_Teichrohrsänger_2.JPG

michael-ibk

188/E188.) Maned Duck (Chenonetta jubata) / Mähnengans

Stausee Reißeck/Carinthia, 10/7/21. A bird which gave me a real headache, no idea at first what it was. I probably should not count it since chances of it being wild are about 0,0000000001 percent. Or something like that. Maybe it was a blind passenger on a ship from Australia to Europe, who knows. Desperate times call for desperate measures, so my Nr. 188 it is! B)

38646683_Reieck_3_Mhnengans_2.JPG.6197a7149edcf05e556ba0d59561c99c.JPG

Edited by michael-ibk

michael-ibk

189/E189.) Lesser Redpoll (Acanthis cabaret) / Alpenbirkenzeisig

Grüneben/Tirol, 11/7/21. I was looking for two of Austria´s rarest breeding birds (Rock Thrush and Rock Partridge - both would be lifers) in the mountains with a friend. No success unfortunately, a distant Redpoll was the consolation prize. Not a bird I see very often, did not have one in my last Big Year.

878551184_Grneben_2_Birkenzeisig_2.JPG.7dc909dc164920a8585bd80327405880.JPG

Dave Williams

How did you manage to ID the Maned Duck Michael. I wouldn't know where to start and I certainly don't have an Australian guide book.. 

Escapees are legitimate inclusions in my opinion....especially in desperate times!

Which Rock Thrush were you hoping for?

michael-ibk

@Dave Williams

I took a picture of my camera screen and sent it to a friend who knows everything. B)

Rufous-Tailed Rock Thrush. 

Edited by michael-ibk

I do like your Maned Duck and of course you should count in in this year! It may well be an one of those wandering dyslexic ducks, confusing Austria with Australia ;)

On 7/13/2021 at 2:08 AM, michael-ibk said:

188/E188.) Maned Duck (Chenonetta jubata) / Mähnengans

Stausee Reißeck/Carinthia, 10/7/21. A bird which gave me a real headache, no idea at first what it was. I probably should not count it since chances of it being wild are about 0,0000000001 percent. Or something like that. Maybe it was a blind passenger on a ship from Australia to Europe, who nows. Desperate times call for desperate measures, so my Nr. 188 it is! B)

38646683_Reieck_3_Mhnengans_2.JPG.6197a7149edcf05e556ba0d59561c99c.JPG

Count, count, count.

On 7/12/2021 at 8:30 PM, michael-ibk said:

I took a picture of my camera screen and sent it to a friend who knows everything. B)

Care to share the name of your friend B)?

• 1 month later...

Poor little Maned Duck, hope she packed her thermals...

190/E190.) Alpine Swift (Apus melba) / Alpensegler

Dobratsch/Carinthia, 25/7/21. Despite the name a rarity here in Austria. Only a handful of colonies are known in the whole country. Unfortunately taken straight against the sun and drastically brightened up.

Dobratsch_15_Alpensegler_2.JPG.cfbd789acff7cc2cef595830dac30d56.JPG

Not much - no, make that no birding this summer for a variety of reasons. But not all hope is lost - today we are leaving for a Portugal holiday. Birds yes, but also food and wine. Probably lots of both. B) And hopefully meeting up with some Safaritalkers, even with Mr. Safaritalk himself. Looking forward to getting away immensely. :)

Edited by michael-ibk

Have a good trip. It will be good to get some different numbers in your scores.

Have a great time in Portugal.

I look forward to seeing your photos 

I´m pretty sure there will be some food and wine for you guys, and maybe a few birds also ;).

Have a great trip, both of you! I hope there’ll be an opportunity to meet somewhere down south.

I'm counting on it @PeterHG- if not the trip will be a total failure. 😉

Hope you have a great trip!

Matt makes a great Spaghetti Bolognaise, even on a campfire.

1 hour ago, Peter Connan said:

Hope you have a great trip!

Matt makes a great Spaghetti Bolognaise, even on a campfire.

Matt is the Ultimate Braai Master?

Have a great trip Michael, looking forward to the photos and stories